Change in Baptist stance on homosexuality?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Change in Baptist stance on homosexuality?
Southern Baptist leaders seek softer approach to homosexuality

It looks like the Baptist church is toying with the idea of a softer stance on homosexuality within the church. It seems they're going to officially have the same stance, but they're beginning to recognize the reality that members that sit in their own pews might still be gay, and perhaps they should come to terms with that.

I was surprised to see that the Southern Baptists are the ones considering this, given that most of the strong anti-gay rhetoric I hear comes from either Catholics or Southern Baptists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
19-05-2014, 12:16 PM
RE: Change in Baptist stance on homosexuality?
I'm not surprised they are attempting this.

When you're losing so many members due to your insane ideas you have to start doing something to try to keep them. I guess softening their blows is their next attempt to keep people around.
19-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Convenient. I wonder who religion will go after next?

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
19-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Good news.

What next? Women Catholic priests?
Maybe in a couple of centuries. Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
19-05-2014, 12:26 PM
(19-05-2014 12:09 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Southern Baptist leaders seek softer approach to homosexuality

It looks like the Baptist church is toying with the idea of a softer stance on homosexuality within the church. It seems they're going to officially have the same stance, but they're beginning to recognize the reality that members that sit in their own pews might still be gay, and perhaps they should come to terms with that.

I was surprised to see that the Southern Baptists are the ones considering this, given that most of the strong anti-gay rhetoric I hear comes from either Catholics or Southern Baptists.

Good. Very good. Yes
19-05-2014, 12:27 PM
(19-05-2014 12:20 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Good news.

What next? Women Catholic priests?
Maybe in a couple of centuries. Dodgy

There was no offical stance on women priest until about 500 AD. Historically speaking, the indications are the early leaders of the church were married couples and women were allowed to be ordained as priest.
19-05-2014, 12:27 PM
(19-05-2014 12:16 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm not surprised they are attempting this.

When you're losing so many members due to your insane ideas you have to start doing something to try to keep them. I guess softening their blows is their next attempt to keep people around.

It would be nice if we were witnessing the death of fundamentalism. If so, I think it will take a long time, but still...

I can't help but notice the similarities between this and the reactionary "revelations" in Mormonism. The LDS church comes around on social issues... several years after the rest of the world.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
19-05-2014, 12:33 PM
(19-05-2014 12:27 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 12:16 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm not surprised they are attempting this.

It would be nice if we were witnessing the death of fundamentalism. If so, I think it will take a long time, but still...

I can't help but notice the similarities between this and the reactionary "revelations" in Mormonism. The LDS church comes around on social issues... several years after the rest of the world.

Its the same with the Catholic church. You think the new pope is more liberal by accident?
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
19-05-2014, 12:37 PM
(19-05-2014 12:33 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 12:27 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It would be nice if we were witnessing the death of fundamentalism. If so, I think it will take a long time, but still...

Its the same with the Catholic church. You think the new pope is more liberal by accident?

I do not know if he is more liberal. As far as I know he has not made any offical liberal changes to church policy. He is more loving, compasionate, humble and human that the last ones. We'll see about the rest.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
19-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Alert me when either of them makes such a change to official church doctrine. Until then it's nothing but noise.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post