Changing Canada's anthem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2016, 02:19 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 02:27 AM by OrdoSkeptica.)
Changing Canada's anthem
Recently a bit of a dispute is rearing up about a proposed private members bill to change Canada from "All they sons command" to to "all of us command ".Which has sparked some to scream loud and proud "see evil political correctness strikes again .To those people who believe this is a evil liberal plot to appease the dark forces of feminism you need to crack open a history book .Because the line in question started out gender neutral the original song written by Robert Stanley Weirs in 1908 said "Thou dost of us command " it only during and after WW1 was it changed to it's current state. In fact a lot of ahem was changed this is what would could have been singing at hockey games .

Note thou there has been a few national anthem this is the one that's most like the modern version

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2016, 03:50 AM
RE: Changing Canada's anthem
It's a non-problem.

Edit: That is; changing it is a non-problem. And this from someone extremely anti-SJW.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
18-07-2016, 03:52 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 04:02 AM by OrdoSkeptica.)
(18-07-2016 03:50 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  It's a non-problem.

Edit: That is; changing it is a non-problem. And this from someone extremely anti-SJW.

it's is for some unfortunately Huh

for example

http://qz.com/365434/new-bill-would-make...s-in-1908/

18-07-2016, 04:56 AM
It seems that the revision, "True patriot love in all thy sons command" had to do with a surge in patriotism during world war 1, when only men served in the armed forces. Although I very much doubt most of the people who are against it even know anything about that.

It's simple to think in black-and-white - and most people are simple. Therefore people who are already opposed to a belief system/principle will immediately contest anything that sounds related to it. That is; they don't analyze the 'thing' as it is - separate from the thing they already oppose - before dismissing it.

Those who would oppose this change are doing so because they are hysterical reactionaries. They don't think about why they react; they just do. They're as stupid as that which they are reacting to.

I mean, I oppose 'regressive' PC culture with every fiber of my being, and yet I reasoned that changing the lyrics are a non-problem to the extreme. Literally all it is is being more inclusive of a nations citizens in the nations national anthem. People who sit there and offer traditionalist fallacies straight-faced, thinking they're offering convincing rhetoric, are fucking retards. By the time I was 8 I knew, "doing -thing- is valuable on the basis of it being done before" wasn't valid logic.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
18-07-2016, 07:41 AM
I am happy we can agree Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
18-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Change happens. Trying to lock your culture in stasis just guarantees that it becomes a fossil without relevance or purpose.

I like the old lyrics though solely from a sense of tradition. I don't like them enough to even entertain the notion that more inclusive lyrics might not be an improvement. And I can't imagine what all the fuss is about. Change them and have done already.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
18-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Facepalm Oh, Canada........

Blink

.........what are we gonna do with you guys up there anyway. Geesh.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Meh, I only know the french version of the Canadian Anthem so you might as well change the English version and like most people in Quebec I struggle to sing it in full without forgetting large part of it.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
18-07-2016, 07:01 PM
(18-07-2016 06:34 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Meh, I only know the french version of the Canadian Anthem so you might as well change the English version and like most people in Quebec I struggle to sing it in full without forgetting large part of it.

True singing it for most can be a bitch the only reason i remember all the words and can sing it without problems. Is because my family are hugely military and my parents enrolled me in a quire that sang for lots of legion events and veterans day stuff and we hand to memorize it in both languages.

18-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Here I thought it was that they were gonna stop standing on guard.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson