19-07-2016, 05:18 PM
RE: Changing Canada's anthem
May I suggest.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2016, 06:39 PM
I like God Shave the Queen but it's slated to replace The Star Speckled Banana this November. Tongue

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
19-07-2016, 09:11 PM
(19-07-2016 05:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  May I suggest.

Been there done that

[Image: giphy.gif]
19-07-2016, 09:25 PM
(19-07-2016 05:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  May I suggest.

They should make their own mashup of God save the Queen and My country Tis of thee lyrics for Canadian truthiness.

my country tis of thee, sweet land of maple leafs, god save the queen!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
19-07-2016, 09:59 PM
(18-07-2016 08:33 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Oh Canada has worked up till now despite the numerous revisions (like putting god keep our land in a song that was suppose to be totally secular)

But i'll admit your idea has merit maybe a 21 century Canada needs a 21 century song any ideasThumbsup ?

Perhaps something by The Tragically Hip.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
23-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Well the US anthem was written during the war of 1812. How about changing the Canadian Anthem to one about the war of 1812...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
23-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Just like the "new" Australian national anthem, the Canadian one sounds like a church hymn, is too long and too boring, and nobody can remember all the words.

And the British national anthem has to be one of the most funereal of dirges ever written—it's all about some mythical entity saving their queen LOL. La Marseillaise will always be the best of the anthems.

So yes; Canada desperately needs a totally new version. As do we Aussies. Consider

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
23-07-2016, 05:53 PM
(23-07-2016 11:00 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Well the US anthem was written during the war of 1812. How about changing the Canadian Anthem to one about the war of 1812...

Problem with this is during the War 1812(unlike the united states) confederation had not happened yet so we were not a united land at the time instead we were a group of often feuding British colonies. And i would clash with historic cannon as we count Canada as only being 149 years so the date of nationhood would have to change

Some would argue something commemorating confederation as more appropriate but that might isolate Newfoundland and the Territories .

Some say we should commemorate WW1 as it was pretty significant it was the first time we fought with our own army and with our own commanders abroad .It was the first time we negotiated with a foreign power on our own. And many see it as the start of us thinking of ourselves as Canadians not just Brits living abroad .heck maple leaves have been found engraved in trench walls . i think this is wrong as i would prefer us not to see ourselves as a nation founded on violence . It seems uncanadian

[Image: giphy.gif]