Changing U.S. Religious Landscape

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 07:51 AM
Changing U.S. Religious Landscape
New Pew study shows significant losses in Christianity in America. While this is promising, evangelicals, who may be the most difficult to deal with, are holding strong. I'd really like to see a breakdown of these numbers by region.

From 2007-2014, unaffiliated/non-religious grew from 16% to almost 23%!!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
12-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Re: Changing U.S. Religious Landscape
Good news, even if I can't tell it here in the south.
12-05-2015, 10:11 AM
RE: Changing U.S. Religious Landscape
Honestly, I think if we let the religious conservatives have their way and win elections running away for a few years, it would generate the quickest shift and change of the US religious landscape.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-05-2015, 11:06 AM
(12-05-2015 07:51 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  From 2007-2014, unaffiliated/non-religious grew from 16% to almost 23%!!

From reading the report, I would not look into that too much. They never completely defined what that meant nor gave any useful breakdown of that category. I wish they did because they make no mention of how many of those in that category actually believed in a deity. There could be a large part of that group were in transition to a different affiliation.
Looking at:
Quote: The only group to gain more than evangelicals from religious switching were the unaffiliated, gaining 18 percent (nearly double the evangelical rate) for a ratio of 4.2 people gained for every 1 person lost. Most current "nones" were raised as Catholics (28%), mainliners (21%), or unaffiliated (21%), while 16 percent were raised as evangelicals.

However, the unaffiliated have "one of the lower retention rates among religious traditions," losing nearly half of their children: 9.2% of Americans were raised unaffiliated, while 4.3% of Americans left the group and affiliated with a religion by 2014. Those who found religion were most likely to become Jehovah’s Witnesses (12%), with the rest evenly spread among other religions: Buddhists (8%), Mormons (8%), evangelicals (7%), mainliners (6%), black Protestants (6%), Muslims (6%), Jews (6%), and Orthodox (5%).

This can easily be explained as people who did not lose their faith but were actually searching for a new "home". I think it is rather disingenuous of them to say that "Those who found religion" without ever defining what "unaffiliated" even meant or what their beliefs even were of the folks in that category. If they are going to raise a point like this and use a category to make their case, they really need to explain who is actually in that category. They go into great detail in the other points but never really discuss what the damn title insinuates. If you are going to say "As Christianity Crumbles in America" you really should analyze that unaffiliated category. To me, it looks more like the religious are moving around more and gravitating towards evangelical churches. If christianity is crumbling, the breakdown inside that "unaffiliated" should be your indicator and they never really explore that and just because the "unaffiliated" category increased does not mean that the religion is necessarily dying.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
12-05-2015, 02:52 PM
(12-05-2015 10:11 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Honestly, I think if we let the religious conservatives have their way and win elections running away for a few years, it would generate the quickest shift and change of the US religious landscape.

That would be a painful way to change the landscape though. Ouch. I can hardly stand the assholes Christians that are in office right now.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-05-2015, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't be able to tell here, but that is good news. Every inch gained is done for a better tomorrow Smile

"Science doesn't know everything, and doesn't claim to. Religion knows nothing, but claims to know all"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user