Chapel Hill Shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Chapel Hill Shooting
This is local news for me (the Triangle in North Carolina). On the local news sites, all I'm seeing are posts like "it MUST be about religion" and "it's a racist hate crime" and "of course, he's an atheist so what do you know expect."

What a surprise.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2015, 08:01 PM
RE: Chapel Hill Shooting
(11-02-2015 07:12 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  This is local news for me (the Triangle in North Carolina). On the local news sites, all I'm seeing are posts like "it MUST be about religion" and "it's a racist hate crime" and "of course, he's an atheist so what do you know expect."

What a surprise.

I'm personally worried that this incident is going to make atheists much more in the closet because of people poisoning the well and equating all atheists as murderers. Sadcryface
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
12-02-2015, 05:47 AM
Washington Post coverage:
"Chapel Hill killings shine light on particular tensions between Islam and atheism"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local...d-atheism/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
12-02-2015, 06:57 AM
It's easy to make ratings go up by inciting a fight between two groups that MOST of your viewers despise ---

Muslims and Atheists.

Signed

The Christian Faction of The Mass Media

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Mr Deity summed up nicely what I believe...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-02-2015, 10:59 AM
(12-02-2015 10:55 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Mr Deity summed up nicely what I believe...

Bravo. Clap
[+] 1 user Likes H4ym4n's post
12-02-2015, 02:20 PM
(11-02-2015 08:01 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  I'm personally worried that this incident is going to make atheists much more in the closet because of people poisoning the well and equating all atheists as murderers. Sadcryface
I agree. Generally speaking, eastern NC isn't atheist-friendly as it is. I'm in the closet here as is. Chapel Hill is home to UNC ("Carolina") so you'd think the academic crowd would somewhat skew it in favor of free thinking. The Triangle is home to Carolina, State (NCSU), and Duke. But we're still part of the South, so we have to tread lightly at times.

But you're right. It's going to be hard again. I've posted the Mr Deity video link. Maybe it's time I just flat out told people. I talk a lot to a few reporters at one of the tv stations, so maybe I should contact them.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
13-02-2015, 07:32 AM
So... to be a little controversial.

Any of us who have been around atheist message boards for a while have come across people we could see taking this kind of action. Right?

Gun toting anti-theist racists dressed up in the logic of atheism.

This case is a foreseeable outcome of the kind of thinking we have seen before. Right?

So did this event occur because of the combination of traits we have seen before? If so, should it change the way we approach any topics here on this board?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-02-2015, 07:40 AM
There's plenty of "gun toters" who find this kind of thing abhorrent. Murder is simply not acceptable on any level. Those who do such things should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-02-2015, 07:43 AM
(13-02-2015 07:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ...
If so, should it change the way we approach any topics here on this board?

Non.

Je suis Charlie.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post