Chaplains in the U.S. military

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Chaplains in the U.S. military
Can anyone explain to me why there are chaplains in the U.S. military? I am obviously wrong here, but I was under the impression that article 6 of the American constitution would make this illegal. As a side note, considering that other religious views are dominant in the areas where U.S. armed forced are currently operating, is it not an unnecessary provocation to stuff their countries full of Christian priests?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2011, 08:39 PM
RE: Chaplains in the U.S. military
As far as I know, the chaplains are of every religion. They are there to fulfill the spiritual needs of our troops no matter their religion
03-05-2011, 09:17 PM
GK posted an article about atheists seeking the role of military chaplains here. It's interesting, because apparently they are just organizers of religious beliefs(or disbeliefs as the case may be) events and provide an ear and advice coming from their respective (dis)beliefs.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
04-05-2011, 12:18 AM
When my last ship was baptized (belgian navy), the navy had a priest, an imam and a rabbi bless it. I tought it was completely ridiculous, but we had to stand at attention while listening to their ramblings. I hate official ceremonies were I'm expected to show respect for religion or monarchies.

On every major trip, a chaplain comes along, but only a christian one. We had no muslims and only one jew (the 'non-practising, bacon eating, secular, reluctantly wearing his kippah at bar mitzvahs, but still considers himself a jew'-type).

Every sunday, the chaplain would invade our bar and spread the word of God in a one hour service, wether we liked it or not. Apart from that, he didn't do alot. Mostly preparing city trips with the sports&recreation officer. I admit the ones I met were kinda nice guys, not forcing religion down our throats (apart from the sunday service). But on the whole, they are kinda useless.

I don't know if US chaplains are different?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)