Charities and such

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Heart Charities and such
Hey,

Finally got my paycheck and decided to donate a part of it.

I'm curios about worthwhile secular charities.

I'm looking at MSF right now , but I do remember reading that MSF used an experimental drug in Eastern Africa during an epidemic. (can't remember details)
All I know is some people were severely hurt or died. It's a bit of a stone on my heart , and I can't donate to them until I clear it up.

If you know any good charities you donated to or you know are decent , or know more about MSF and how I can donate to them (I am nowhere near their offices) and you can help me clear up my understanding of that event then please post.

Thank you.
gagalmesh731

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2011, 07:22 PM
RE: Charities and such
I did i google search for MSF and controversy. The two appear quite frequently together but ive not seen anything about controversy over their treatment of patients resulting in deaths. I still think its worth researching if you're thinking about giving them money.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
04-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I haven't found any I trust. I'm a fan of direct charity. Go around and hand out 10's and 20's to the bums and homeless in your area if you're feeling charitable. That's what I do.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-08-2011, 01:35 AM
You are giving part of your first paycheck to charity?

You've just won the...
Positive atheism award!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=151]
The positive atheism award is given to the poster of a tread that proves atheism is a positive way of living. Your reputation was given a +1. Congratulations!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
05-08-2011, 04:10 AM
My charity usually goes to transsexual groups. I would think a good choice would be doctors without borders, or maybe if you can find never mind second harvest is just for the US (a less discriminatory food pantry). Haven't had money to donate in a while, I usually give money directly to others. I still like amnesty international.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
05-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Well , if you ever donated to something good , please let me know.
I really want to make a difference but to be honest , It's not like I''m going to get directly involved so donating seems the most good I can do for now.
Maybe I can participate in a rally or protest but for the most part , my influence is fairly limited.

If anything good comes to mind please post.
If nothing comes up , I'll probably donate to Richard Dawkins and the Atheist Experience.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
05-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I donate regularly to Amnesty International, although I did have some second thoughts after the award to the Dali Lama earlier this year, but they still do good work, or so I think. I also have a local puclic radio station I give a monthy donation to, and I'm a regular contributor to a local homeless shelter I used to work for. On top of that, here in Seattle, there is a local homeless newspaper (Real Change: http://www.realchangenews.org/) that people can sell and I always make it a habit to buy these when I see someone selling them. There's always good causes that can use help. Charity Navigator is a good resourse for checking how much any participating charity spends on fundraising, and what the salaries, if any, for the top employees are. Good Luck!!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx