Charity Woo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 04:34 AM
Charity Woo
I've been asked to help build a charity website, pro bono, and said yes although I don't have much free time.

Turns out it's to do with crystal healing, not quite sure how it's a charity but the woo element is definitely present.

I have to be nice, it's a friend of mrs daylight, just figuring out a polite way of saying, 'I'm not going to waste my time on this'.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 05:09 AM
RE: Charity Woo
I think you should do it...

Consider

... and embed disclaimers all over the pages such as...

Please note that the builder of the site is not personally responsible for, nor sees no evidence for, any claims made by these charlatans.
Have a nice day.

06-08-2013, 06:31 AM
do it, and add a virus or leave some obvious vulnerability... Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
06-08-2013, 06:43 AM
(06-08-2013 04:34 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I've been asked to help build a charity website, pro bono, and said yes although I don't have much free time.

Turns out it's to do with crystal healing, not quite sure how it's a charity but the woo element is definitely present.

I have to be nice, it's a friend of mrs daylight, just figuring out a polite way of saying, 'I'm not going to waste my time on this'.

You can back out politely by claiming not enough time.

I would tell her that I can't help support anti-scientific ideas.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Hmm... tough call. Consider Does the charity support any kind of science like a Childrens Hospital? I've seen a few of those typed that sell guardian spirits and the like. It might be one of those types. You can ask directly without tipping anyone off what type of a charity you're not wanting to support.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
06-08-2013, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 08:59 AM by ridethespiral.)
(06-08-2013 04:34 AM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I've been asked to help build a charity website, pro bono, and said yes although I don't have much free time.

I feel your pain man...I get sucked into making people websites all the time...and then the projects just drag and I make no money and wind up busting my ass.

I certainly wouldn't do e-comm woo without getting at least a sizable cut or better yet $ up front.

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
06-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Write her a quick "over view" of your vision for the website.

Make it a site that raises money by selling Healing Crystals. All money raised is to support those who have been taken advantage of by woo science.

Either she won't even see the irony, in which case....fuck it.....build the site! Or, she'll fire you. Either way, at least you're not supporting bullshit like healing crystals.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
06-08-2013, 09:26 AM
What I don't understand is...

How did the crystals get hurt in the first place?
Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-08-2013, 09:30 AM
(06-08-2013 09:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  What I don't understand is...

How did the crystals get hurt in the first place?
Undecided

It was their own fault. They had imperfections.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-08-2013, 09:45 AM
(06-08-2013 09:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  It was their own fault. They had imperfections.

But deliberately introduced imperfections are what make electronic crystals useful...

... this is my signature!