Charlotte Atheist Billboards Removed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Charlotte Atheist Billboards Removed
Pure bullshit. Again, the south is full of bigots. Censored

http://atheists.org/american-atheists-re...-charlotte

The fish who keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2012, 10:12 PM
RE: Charlotte Atheist Billboards Removed
Unfortunate that it happened. Although I hope it does not stop them from keeping up with the pressure. The only way it's ever going to become "accepted" is if people speak up and make sure people understand that everyone of any minority is welcome.

Death threats? That's a real christian thing to do. (no really, if you look at history that's.... pretty christian)
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
25-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Personally I think they should have found the people who made the threats and charged them--even if they only had to pay a fine in the end. Of course, that depends on what the "hateful threats" were. Considering what atheists hear, it'd seem like they were death threats before they'd take them down--but who knows what the billboard company would think, they could've said "take them down or we'll burn down your satan worshipping company" or something. Although really, I can't think of a threat that if carried out wouldn't be illegal, so maybe the first sentence would still apply in any event for my thinking.
25-08-2012, 11:12 PM
I disagree 100% at the removal, but I also think that in a lot of forms the billboards did not take a more mature route to promote their/our goals, though I can certainly as well say that this most likely had nothing to do with the threats they received.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
25-08-2012, 11:24 PM
What's the problem? This is excellent. You can't buy publicity like this.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
25-08-2012, 11:31 PM
I would rather they host social programs than put up billboards...just sayin'.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
26-08-2012, 12:12 AM
(25-08-2012 11:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  What's the problem? This is excellent. You can't buy publicity like this.

You know, I always enjoy your perspective on things and that is so very very true. Even BAD publicity IS publicity and often is FREE publicity. Outcry, frustration and controversy, perfect publicity to make people go... "Hmmm wait a minute... what if they're right?" Even if it's just one person.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
26-08-2012, 12:47 AM
(26-08-2012 12:12 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(25-08-2012 11:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  What's the problem? This is excellent. You can't buy publicity like this.

You know, I always enjoy your perspective on things and that is so very very true. Even BAD publicity IS publicity and often is FREE publicity. Outcry, frustration and controversy, perfect publicity to make people go... "Hmmm wait a minute... what if they're right?" Even if it's just one person.

Thanks.

But "what if they're right" is asking too much.

I'd be happy with "hold up, they may be an evil bunch of god-hating baby-munchers, but thay have the right to their views"

Remember the whole Gay thing? Being gay in the 1950's in the UK was illegal. Decades later it was "Well, I don't approve of them but they have a right to do what they want to do if they don't do it in public". Then it was "I'm not gay but I have friends who are and they are surprisingly nice people". Now it's "Nothing wrong with that, people are people,why shouldn't they marry and be happy if they want to".

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-08-2012, 12:47 AM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2012 12:56 AM by Rahn127.)
This is the billboard in question. (I believe)
[Image: 120825-FallBillboardsChristianity.jpg]

The statements on the billboard are things we read everyday and seem perfectly acceptable because they're true, but for people who don't see that everyday, it's a HUGE shock.
What needs to be posted are the threats up on the billboard

"Christianity - this is the hatred we see everyday and in many parts of the world, they don't threaten, they burn, they kill, they torture...all in the name of a Loving God"
(then list all the threats and show them their hatred, show them why we find their morality utterly bankrupt and useless)

Then ask "Is this who you are ? Is this what your religion has done to you ? Or is this just who you really are deep down, a hateful, spiteful person"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
26-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Good points on both parts.