Charlotte Atheist Billboards Removed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2012, 09:42 AM
RE: Charlotte Atheist Billboards Removed
This article left out critical information -- whether the city took down the billboards or the billboard company itself. It turns out that it's not an issue of free speech, because the billboard company took them down, and being a private organization, it has the freedom to display or not display anything it chooses. While it's regretful that so many Christians/Mormons didn't feel that their faith could withstand an opposing argument, it's alright that the billboards were removed... nobody was "wrong" to do so.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2012, 10:01 AM
(26-08-2012 09:42 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  This article left out critical information -- whether the city took down the billboards or the billboard company itself. It turns out that it's not an issue of free speech, because the billboard company took them down, and being a private organization, it has the freedom to display or not display anything it chooses. While it's regretful that so many Christians/Mormons didn't feel that their faith could withstand an opposing argument, it's alright that the billboards were removed... nobody was "wrong" to do so.

I find it funny when people say their god is all powerful and everyone should believe, but a simple few words on a sign would be enough to challenge their faith to make others not believe. The entire bible vs three to nine words, and the latter wins.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like elemts's post
26-08-2012, 10:20 AM
(26-08-2012 09:42 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  This article left out critical information -- whether the city took down the billboards or the billboard company itself. It turns out that it's not an issue of free speech, because the billboard company took them down, and being a private organization, it has the freedom to display or not display anything it chooses. While it's regretful that so many Christians/Mormons didn't feel that their faith could withstand an opposing argument, it's alright that the billboards were removed... nobody was "wrong" to do so.

It is an issue of free speech when a group of people make threats harming your safety if you don't shut up. The exercise of free speech means nothing if you can't speak out of fear for what might happen.

^This doesn't apply to all cases of course. I regulate my free speech when I make a conscious decision about the consequences of what those words might incite.

If no one had made any threats and the company took down the billboard then that would be fine. Then it's not an action taken as a result of people trying to silence you.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
26-08-2012, 10:52 AM
The pathetic little assholes must protect their pathetically weak god's honor by making cowardly threats against those who see through the make believe.

All they are really defending is their own delusions.

I'm done with dancing around offending the religious.

I teach economics and next week I'm discussing critical thinking and fallacies. I never go after the religious, but this time I am. I'll clear the classroom.

There is an old southern saying, "I'll stomp a mud hole in you ass and walk it dry".

I don't give a fuck at this juncture. It's not going to be pretty.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
26-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Was this the atheist.org billboard? If so I'm glad it's taken down. Bunch of militant retards, they are.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Starcrash has a valid point. But it wasn't just the billboard company that took it down, it was the billboard company in agreement with the Atheist organisation itself. So it's not at all a free speech issue.

Death threats are a criminal issue. Period.

Furthermore, is no one here going to point out that the billboard was almost entirely inflammatory? We have hate laws in Canada and I'm not entirely convinced that the billboard would have been legal here.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
26-08-2012, 01:22 PM
(26-08-2012 12:48 PM)Ghost Wrote:  ....
Furthermore, is no one here going to point out that the billboard was almost entirely inflammatory? We have hate laws in Canada and I'm not entirely convinced that the billboard would have been legal here.

An atheist billboard that was a blue sky and with clouds that says "there are some atheists in the world" would arouse hatred, death threats, anger, and people defacing the image.

But I was looking at it (the Christian one), the image on the bread is normal (some say "it's proof of god!" with another saying "no, it's a toaster that does it intentionally). Sadistic god--well there are probably a number of Christians that say it applies to the old testament. 30,000 versions of "truth"--that's probably accurate give or take a rounding of specific church groupings. Promotes hate and calls it love--not entirely sure what they meant by this.... I can picture a few things; they probably were just dumbing it down. Treats people differently and says it's just and love would be better.... or even "Says women are objects and property" and that divorce isn't allowed (quoting something from Jesus for the sake of it)... that would've been better probably.

Anyway, my long point being that shy of one line in the billboard--there's not untrue or things that even Christians wouldn't know/say/believe/think/have-to-defend on there--except the promotes hate line, not saying it's untrue, just not as easily found or believed.
26-08-2012, 02:41 PM
(26-08-2012 12:48 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Furthermore, is no one here going to point out that the billboard was almost entirely inflammatory? We have hate laws in Canada and I'm not entirely convinced that the billboard would have been legal here.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I'm glad you're sticking up for me, but "hate speech"? That's what everybody reaches for when defending their discrimination against free speech that they don't agree with. I already went through this with so many atheists when Fred Phelps' church picketed the funeral of a gay soldier. I defended his right of free speech while it seems like all my colleagues kept trying to justify their position against his church's right by calling it hate speech. That phrase has an actual meaning, and it has to do with inciting riot, not with pissing people off.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
26-08-2012, 02:46 PM
(26-08-2012 10:20 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It is an issue of free speech when a group of people make threats harming your safety if you don't shut up. The exercise of free speech means nothing if you can't speak out of fear for what might happen.

^This doesn't apply to all cases of course. I regulate my free speech when I make a conscious decision about the consequences of what those words might incite.

If no one had made any threats and the company took down the billboard then that would be fine. Then it's not an action taken as a result of people trying to silence you.

Who made threats? I didn't catch that in either article. The billboard company didn't fear for the lives of its employees, but rather feared losing future business.

Try to keep bias out of this one. If it had been a Christian billboard removed by complaining atheists, would your first concern be whether the atheists had acted belligerently or made threats, or would you be happy just because it had been a Christian billboard? If your position is on the side of atheists no matter how each side conducts themselves ethically, then I'm taking your opinions with a grain of salt.

26-08-2012, 02:51 PM
(26-08-2012 02:46 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Who made threats? I didn't catch that in either article. The billboard company didn't fear for the lives of its employees, but rather feared losing future business.

The original article (the press release from American atheists) had mention of threats in bold at the top, and an entire paragraph (about 1/3 of it) related to it. Brief part was that "fellow citizens responded with vitriol, threats and hate speech" against them and the advertising company

edit:
actually both articles I saw, and others from searching said both places received threats.