Charlotte Atheist Billboards Removed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2012, 02:59 PM
RE: Charlotte Atheist Billboards Removed
(26-08-2012 12:48 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Starcrash has a valid point. But it wasn't just the billboard company that took it down, it was the billboard company in agreement with the Atheist organisation itself. So it's not at all a free speech issue.

Death threats are a criminal issue. Period.

Furthermore, is no one here going to point out that the billboard was almost entirely inflammatory? We have hate laws in Canada and I'm not entirely convinced that the billboard would have been legal here.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

The threats were the means to suppress free speech. How you get to 'not at all a free speech issue' escapes me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey, Starcrash.

No, like we actually have a law. Like, for cereal. It's pretty awesome most of the time.

Hey, Chas.

Because nothing is actually occurring that precludes free speech. No law was repealed. The state didn't take it down. Nothing like that happened. Their right to free speech was in full effect. What happened was that they were threatened. That's a crime. Those people should be arrested for uttering death threats.

Matt
Find all posts by this user
26-08-2012, 03:44 PM
(26-08-2012 03:17 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Starcrash.

No, like we actually have a law. Like, for cereal. It's pretty awesome most of the time.

Hey, Chas.

Because nothing is actually occurring that precludes free speech. No law was repealed. The state didn't take it down. Nothing like that happened. Their right to free speech was in full effect. What happened was that they were threatened. That's a crime. Those people should be arrested for uttering death threats.

Matt

Just like my right to be secure in my person and possessions is not violated by the mugger's threat.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user