Charlottesville: Never let a good crisis go to waste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Charlottesville: Never let a good crisis go to waste
Random observation for today.

Normally the subject phrase is used on politicians, but this morning while flipping through local channels, I happened across a local religious program with an older man speaking earnestly to the viewers. I only watched for long enough to catch him say something to the effect of, "If you're wondering where we go from here, I've got a book right here with all of the answers to ensure our future," while holding open a bible, and with "Charlottesville" in big text behind him on the screen.

I just thought it was curious that he would use that language. A douchebag ran his car into people, killing and injuring dozens. Perhaps god could've used his powers to stop that guy from doing that. But then I'm sure the standard answer would be how he works in mysterious ways and that it's not our place to understand.

How is it that so many people can so willingly follow this type of logic? It's hard to understand why this type of thinking is preferred by so many people.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like reeveseb's post
13-08-2017, 06:45 AM
RE: Charlottesville: Never let a good crisis go to waste
Getting up in the morning and being a zombified douchebag with marching orders from an old book is apparently easier for some people than figuring out things for themselves.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-08-2017, 06:54 AM
(13-08-2017 06:40 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  How is it that so many people can so willingly follow this type of logic? It's hard to understand why this type of thinking is preferred by so many people.

I think people are afraid and want certainty. They want to do things the way they always have. They hope that if they do their little magic rituals, things will somehow magically come right. They prefer this thinking because the alternative is too terrifying.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
13-08-2017, 06:54 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2017 07:06 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(13-08-2017 06:40 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  How is it that so many people can so willingly follow this type of logic? It's hard to understand why this type of thinking is preferred by so many people.

Confirmation bias. It is always obvious to people with different biases, but it's a general perceptual problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
13-08-2017, 06:58 AM
I clicked through some of the neo-nazi profiles because I am TRYING to figure out why these young men are so full of hate...

Many of the ones I looked at 'like' pastor pages, or other religious pages. I am not going to speak for all of them, but some do seem to already claim Christianity. In fact, the overwhelming 'theme' I saw in their likes was gun pages or groups, Breitbart/Info Wars, Conservative media, hardcore music, and religious pages.

Also, does the dude realize the bible is full of violence? He would have been better off holding up a recipe book. Or a gardening book. A hobby to occupy their minds with something other than hate.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
13-08-2017, 07:34 AM

Nothing hard to understand. Indoctrination is the answer - right dose of it and some book of fables get upgrade from primitive stories to answer to evderything. In mind of deluded at least.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
13-08-2017, 07:36 AM
(13-08-2017 06:58 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I clicked through some of the neo-nazi profiles because I am TRYING to figure out why these young men are so full of hate...

Many of the ones I looked at 'like' pastor pages, or other religious pages. I am not going to speak for all of them, but some do seem to already claim Christianity. In fact, the overwhelming 'theme' I saw in their likes was gun pages or groups, Breitbart/Info Wars, Conservative media, hardcore music, and religious pages.

Also, does the dude realize the bible is full of violence? He would have been better off holding up a recipe book. Or a gardening book. A hobby to occupy their minds with something other than hate.

Ikr what if he forgets to remind people that the OT doesn't count anymore?

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
13-08-2017, 07:36 AM
(13-08-2017 06:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think people are afraid and want certainty. They want to do things the way they always have. They hope that if they do their little magic rituals, things will somehow magically come right. They prefer this thinking because the alternative is too terrifying.

I think you're right. But to add just a little bit, I also think people are loathe to think that what is going on could possibly be the results of our collective choices. It's can be scary to think that we're solely responsible for our behavior. I guess it's much easier to believe that all of these terrible things happen because of a divine plan and fate.

[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
13-08-2017, 07:42 AM
(13-08-2017 07:36 AM)Loom Wrote:  Ikr what if he forgets to remind people that the OT doesn't count anymore?

That seems to be a common understanding now, unless something in the OT serves a particular purpose. Then it's temporarily okay.

13-08-2017, 08:07 AM
(13-08-2017 06:58 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I clicked through some of the neo-nazi profiles because I am TRYING to figure out why these young men are so full of hate...

I might have a little insight into this. My father-in-law was raised by a blatant racist who associated with racists and spent his energy teaching his son the same. I never met the FIL, but I was pretty disappointed after learning all of this several years after marrying my wife. My wife was adopted a little later in life (about five years old) and thankfully he wasn't able to indoctrinate her the same way. I'm pretty sure, the way they're raised is a very large part of why these people can't see past their own skin color and hate anything different.

The weird part, for me, is that they believe they are following their god's plan and teachings. Makes absolutely no sense. The good news is that as it becomes more socially unacceptable to act this way, I really think more and more parents are making the choice to raise their children without turning them into hate machines. My son is white and his best friend is black. They do everything together. I think this shows that all is not lost and that we're heading in the right direction (albeit slow and painstakingly).

As a side note, my racist FIL, wasn't just a racist. He was also terrified of gay people. One of his two natural born daughters wound up being a lesbian. He tried everything he could think of to get her to change back. None of it worked. Thought this was a little ironic justice.

[+] 6 users Like reeveseb's post