Charlottesville: Never let a good crisis go to waste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2017, 11:10 AM
RE: Charlottesville: Never let a good crisis go to waste
(13-08-2017 07:36 AM)Loom Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 06:58 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I clicked through some of the neo-nazi profiles because I am TRYING to figure out why these young men are so full of hate...

Many of the ones I looked at 'like' pastor pages, or other religious pages. I am not going to speak for all of them, but some do seem to already claim Christianity. In fact, the overwhelming 'theme' I saw in their likes was gun pages or groups, Breitbart/Info Wars, Conservative media, hardcore music, and religious pages.

Also, does the dude realize the bible is full of violence? He would have been better off holding up a recipe book. Or a gardening book. A hobby to occupy their minds with something other than hate.

Ikr what if he forgets to remind people that the OT doesn't count anymore?

Just to be a contrarian, I will point out that the New Testament is not as nice and cuddly as people seem to think. Jesus talks quite a bit about Hell, which is much crueler and more violent than anything in the Old Testament -- because it lasts forever. You can kill me any horrible way you can think of, and it will still be better than being tortured for eternity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
15-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Try being me, I live in Virginia, about a good 3 to 4 hours out from Charlottesville. I find it funny however that you here them go on and on about BLM then when it's show that Neo Nazis are doing the same thing they go on to say 'not all white people are like that.'
Like how some black people say about BLM is 'Not all black people are like that.' yet they get told they are lying and among other things. But yet, I can plainly see that when someone like this happens and you defend yourself with the same term, everyone things you're right about that.

The double standers here are just annoying. Not once have we heard the outrage about what happened in Charlottesville as much as we heard about the protests in Florida. People just make me roll my eyes.

As for the guy, well anyone uses anything to push an agenda. That's how it goes, if you can use a tragic event or even a happy event to push your points and agenda across, you use it. Politicians do this all the time.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
15-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Folks,

Trump has finally said the necessary words about 'white supremacists'. For him, it must have been like eating a dirt taco.

D.
15-08-2017, 02:33 PM
(15-08-2017 02:29 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Folks,

Trump has finally said the necessary words about 'white supremacists'. For him, it must have been like eating a dirt taco.

D.

And then he went back to blaming it on the alt-left who charged the peaceful Nazis with bats and clubs. One commentator said, "I just saw a man self-immolate without the flames."

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-08-2017, 04:12 PM
(13-08-2017 08:34 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Misogyny, racism and homophobia do seem to go hand in hand with right wing hate groups Sad

A mind given to bigotry rarely takes the time to (ahem) discriminate between the different sorts of hate. It seems to be that "they're not like me!" is good enough.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-08-2017, 11:29 AM
I want to add a reminder here: Just because someone at a rally (or anywhere else) is wearing a shirt/hat/gear/whatever that identifies them as part of a group, it does not follow that they are actually part of that group, or endorsed by that group. That goes for a hat that shows service with a particular military unit. The wearer might have been with that unit, or just had the hat made without ever having served. No way to tell without positively identifying the person in question.

Case in point: There was a member of the alt-right group in Charlottesville wearing an "Arkansas Engineering" shirt. Some zealots on Twitter and Facebook did some research, and found a faculty member at the University of Arkansas College of Engineering who looked a lot like the man at the rally, and began a campaign against him by publishing his name, home address, telephone number, office location, and other personal details. Cue the deluge of phone calls to his house, death threats against his family, e-mail to his boss with threats if he wasn't immediately fired, etc. etc. etc. The problem (other than the obvious) ? He was over a 1000 miles away at the time. The person who misidentified him has apologized and taken down the original post, but too little/too late. His "identity" at the rally had already been copied, re-posted and re-tweeted thousands of times. The person at the rally in C'ville has not been identified.
http://5newsonline.com/2017/08/15/u-of-a...lly-photo/
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
16-08-2017, 12:32 PM
(16-08-2017 11:29 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I want to add a reminder here: Just because someone at a rally (or anywhere else) is wearing a shirt/hat/gear/whatever that identifies them as part of a group, it does not follow that they are actually part of that group, or endorsed by that group. That goes for a hat that shows service with a particular military unit. The wearer might have been with that unit, or just had the hat made without ever having served. No way to tell without positively identifying the person in question.

Case in point: There was a member of the alt-right group in Charlottesville wearing an "Arkansas Engineering" shirt. Some zealots on Twitter and Facebook did some research, and found a faculty member at the University of Arkansas College of Engineering who looked a lot like the man at the rally, and began a campaign against him by publishing his name, home address, telephone number, office location, and other personal details. Cue the deluge of phone calls to his house, death threats against his family, e-mail to his boss with threats if he wasn't immediately fired, etc. etc. etc. The problem (other than the obvious) ? He was over a 1000 miles away at the time. The person who misidentified him has apologized and taken down the original post, but too little/too late. His "identity" at the rally had already been copied, re-posted and re-tweeted thousands of times. The person at the rally in C'ville has not been identified.
http://5newsonline.com/2017/08/15/u-of-a...lly-photo/

This is why I wanna wear a burka. No mistaken identity possible.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-08-2017, 01:07 PM
(16-08-2017 12:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This is why I wanna wear a burka. No mistaken identity possible.

This also works to hide identity, and you might (arguably) get a better class of people willing to beat the crap out of you. :

[Image: _121364_kkk_in_uniform_grab_150.jpg]

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
17-08-2017, 10:10 AM
White supremacist featured in news story now says he's terrified for his life.

He freely gave an interview, proudly explaining his beliefs.
Quote:During those interviews, Cantwell openly spoke about his ideals and beliefs about race. He also spoke about using violence to push his beliefs if necessary.

"We're not non-violent," Cantwell said. "We'll (expletive) kill people if we have to."

However, just days later, Cantwell posted a video where he says he's now scared for his life and that his enemies want to "ruin my life."

And his statement about Charlottesville:
Quote:"The fact that nobody on our side died, I'd go ahead and call that points for us," Cantwell said in reference to the death of 32-year-old Heather Heyer who was run over by car at an anti-protest. "The fact that none of our people killed anyone unjustly is a plus for us."

Cantwell went on to say Heyer's death was justified.

"I think it was more than justified," Cantwell said. "The amount of restraint our people showed out there, I think it was astounding."

http://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index...ed_in.html

But according to the Prez, it was all about preserving monuments.
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
17-08-2017, 10:28 AM
(15-08-2017 12:01 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Try being me, I live in Virginia, about a good 3 to 4 hours out from Charlottesville. I find it funny however that you here them go on and on about BLM then when it's show that Neo Nazis are doing the same thing they go on to say 'not all white people are like that.'
Like how some black people say about BLM is 'Not all black people are like that.' yet they get told they are lying and among other things. But yet, I can plainly see that when someone like this happens and you defend yourself with the same term, everyone things you're right about that.

The double standers here are just annoying. Not once have we heard the outrage about what happened in Charlottesville as much as we heard about the protests in Florida. People just make me roll my eyes.

As for the guy, well anyone uses anything to push an agenda. That's how it goes, if you can use a tragic event or even a happy event to push your points and agenda across, you use it. Politicians do this all the time.

Another fallacy of moral equivocation.

Responding to hate is not the same as promoting hate. Being angry about how one is treated is not the same as being the abuser.

This is why, not all, but far too many white people cannot understand the outrage when a black person dies by cop.

BLM is not trying to claim they are better than whites, they are merely saying their lives matter as well.

When white bigots say "White lives matter" they are not coming from a position of equality they are coming from a position of not being able to face the cognitive dissonance that sharing the nation does not mean keeping a social pecking order based on race.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Brian37's post