Charlottesville: Never let a good crisis go to waste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2017, 03:22 PM
RE: Charlottesville: Never let a good crisis go to waste
(17-08-2017 10:10 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
Quote:During those interviews, Cantwell openly spoke about his ideals and beliefs about race. He also spoke about using violence to push his beliefs if necessary.

"We're not non-violent," Cantwell said. "We'll (expletive) kill people if we have to."

However, just days later, Cantwell posted a video where he says he's now scared for his life and that his enemies want to "ruin my life."

What a fucken loser.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-08-2017, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2017 04:28 PM by Stefan Mayerschoff.)
(14-08-2017 08:02 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 12:25 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Peter Hayes in his book "Why? Explaining the Holocaust" said that antisemitism rise and fall in inverse relationship to stock market. I think it's not only antisemitism as we have at least one historical precedent of economic unrest producing support for extremists - Nazism. Without economy going down Hitler likely would remain clownish figure screaming in beer halls.

So given current state of economy unrest isn't surprising. But I don't think that is much that we can do about it.

The problem with your point is that Wall Street (the stock market) no longer reflects Main Street (economic conditions faced by the middle class).

The stock market is fine, the economy is growing; on paper, everything looks great, but wages are stagnant and the gap between rich and poor is widening, and unless this gap is addressed, the majority of the population, who see themselves and their children being reduced to near-serfdom, will turn to whoever promises relief, regardless of whether they can deliver.

Enter the demagogue.

Just because the first edition (Trump) is too stupid to capitalize on this advantage (because he keeps pandering to his shrinking base) is no reason for rejoicing. The situation could be much worse if a more competent demagogue were to come to power.

IMO, rising income inequality is the single greatest reason for the rise in anti-democratic sentiment, including anti-Semitism.

(I make this last point in general, not in response to your comment Szuchow, since I realize you may agree)

Indeed. The concentration of wealth in the hands of a few elite is really one of the major drivers of so many other problems. I think about my grandparents as an example. 8th grade education for my grandfather, worked in a skilled trade as a woodworker. Grandmom raised 2 kids but worked later when they were older, on the assembly line of Singer sewing machines. And yet, they bought land, built a house, sent kids to college, had new cars, all without ever borrowing a single penny; paid cash for everything, house included. They were just normal working people that were reasonably frugal, and my grandmother had close to a million dollars before going in the nursing home for 5 years which wiped out a big chunk of that.

Today you could never have that level of success with those types of jobs. And one easy culprit is executive compensation. In the 60s, CEOs made roughly 80 times what there workers did. Today its more like 400 times as much. The role of CEO hasn't gotten more demanding; there isn't a smaller pool of candidates such that the increase could be explained by supply and demand. It's greed, pure and simple.
[+] 4 users Like Stefan Mayerschoff's post
23-08-2017, 01:36 AM
I'm English and just wonder if TTA members can help me understand what Charlottesville was all about?
The word on the street here is that some people want to wipe out American history by going around toppling statues of anybody they don't like, but some people want to stop them. Who are the good guys in all this?
PS- Regarding toppling statues, there'd be no end to it if it caught on, for example according to Wiki, Chief Seattle "..owned slaves captured during his raids."
so maybe somebody will decide to trash this 1912 statue of him in Seattle?

[Image: Chief-Seattle-1912-statue_zpsexomnco7.jpg~original]
23-08-2017, 06:43 AM
(23-08-2017 01:36 AM)Propwash Wrote:  I'm English and just wonder if TTA members can help me understand what Charlottesville was all about?
The word on the street here is that some people want to wipe out American history by going around toppling statues of anybody they don't like, but some people want to stop them. Who are the good guys in all this?
PS- Regarding toppling statues, there'd be no end to it if it caught on, for example according to Wiki, Chief Seattle "..owned slaves captured during his raids."

[Image: Chief-Seattle-1912-statue_zpsexomnco7.jpg~original]

It'd be fair, wouldn't it???

But it's never about fair.

It about being " politically correct".

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
23-08-2017, 10:16 AM
(23-08-2017 01:36 AM)Propwash Wrote:  I'm English and just wonder if TTA members can help me understand what Charlottesville was all about?

White supremacists, KKK members, and Nazis from all over congretated in Charlottesville, Virgina, ostensibly to oppose the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee, the General in charge of Confederate troops during the American Civil War over slavery. Mainly they chanted against the Jews and used the occasion to gain sympathy and support for their causes.

A much larger group demonstrated in opposition to them, including members of Antifa, an anti-fascist group. There were fights, of course, but the worst thing that happened was that one white supremacist drove his car into a crowd of the opposition and killed one woman.

As usual, Donald Trump was not careful how he worded what he said in response. While he did condemn bigotry and hatred, he also cast blame on both sides -- which many Americans, including other Republicans, denounced. Now many civic leaders are removing statues of Confederate figures to avoid such conflicts in their own cities.
[+] 7 users Like Thoreauvian's post
23-08-2017, 10:35 AM
The whole thing about statues of Robert E. Lee, who fought to keep slaves enslaved, is a red herring detracting from the actual issue.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-08-2017, 02:45 PM
(23-08-2017 10:16 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  White supremacists, KKK members, and Nazis from all over congretated in Charlottesville, Virgina, ostensibly to oppose the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee, the General in charge of Confederate troops during the American Civil War over slavery..

Toppling Lee's statue seems a bit of a shame to me, because the statue commemorated not just him but all the southern boys who died, so toppling it is almost like desecrating their graves.
And hey, negroes fought for the South too, so the issue is not as cut-and-dried as it seems, so maybe we should just let history stay as history without trying to airbrush bits of it out?
"Several thousand blacks were enlisted in the Rebel cause.."
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-histo...k-soldiers

23-08-2017, 02:59 PM
(23-08-2017 02:45 PM)Propwash Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 10:16 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  White supremacists, KKK members, and Nazis from all over congretated in Charlottesville, Virgina, ostensibly to oppose the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee, the General in charge of Confederate troops during the American Civil War over slavery..

Toppling Lee's statue seems a bit of a shame to me, because the statue commemorated not just him but all the southern boys who died, so toppling it is almost like desecrating their graves.
And hey, negroes fought for the South too, so the issue is not as cut-and-dried as it seems, so maybe we should just let history stay as history without trying to airbrush bits of it out?

The statue in Charlottesville wasn't toppled.

Nothing had anything to do with the statue, it was merely used as an excuse to parade KKK and Nazi propaganda.

In Charlottesville, the issue is that the Nazis wanted to show off and one of them killed an innocent woman in the street.

Statues have nothing to do with it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
23-08-2017, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2017 03:47 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(23-08-2017 02:45 PM)Propwash Wrote:  

You're aware that these statues are not being destroyed? They are being kept as items of historical interest. They are merely being moved from places of prominent display. There is no historical revision going on.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
23-08-2017, 03:14 PM
(23-08-2017 01:36 AM)Propwash Wrote:  PS- Regarding toppling statues, there'd be no end to it if it caught on, for example according to Wiki, Chief Seattle "..owned slaves captured during his raids."

To be fair, the city of Seattle is like kind of named after him. Statue really doesn't make much of a difference when the entire city is named after you. Also, wiki says the statues was erected in 1908. 1912 doesn't appear in the wiki article.

#sigh