Chat with a Pastor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Chat with a Pastor
One of my relatives threw up a blog link on Facebook. I clicked, read, responded...

So far, it's just been me and pastor Sean.

We're not hateful, we just disagree

If you're interested, love to hear your thoughts, either here on on his article...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2012, 08:00 PM
RE: Chat with a Pastor
(06-08-2012 07:44 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  One of my relatives threw up a blog link on Facebook. I clicked, read, responded...

So far, it's just been me and pastor Sean.

We're not hateful, we just disagree

If you're interested, love to hear your thoughts, either here on on his article...

Quote:For many of us, there is definitely a religious aspect to the conversation. How we view God, creation, truth, the bible, mankind, and morality greatly informs our views of marriage and family. However, at a more basic level, this really comes down to how we view sexual behavior.

He tries to bring in a non-Biblical argument buts fails miserably.
Quote:If homosexual tendencies are a genetic inevitability, then why not every other sexual desire?
Homosexuality is natural in many species, but more to the point it doesn't harm anyone.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-08-2012, 08:14 PM
His response that cancer rates in homosexuals, according to a Canadian study that I've not read, clearly shows god is showing his displeasure - therefore, it, their choices, are in fact hurting hurting themselves - as well as their community. I almost barfed a bit when I read that...lol

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
06-08-2012, 08:22 PM
(06-08-2012 07:44 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  We're not hateful, we just disagree

I seem to be in the minority on this issue in that I agree with him - their disagreement with gay marriage is not coming from hatred, but rather from their interpretation of the bible. Seasbury, if your intention is to discuss this with him, I suggest you accept his point and attack this issue from some other angles. One would be the point made in the video I posted under "Mouthy Broad", where she makes a good point that the biblical definition of marriage comes with a lot of other rules (eg marry your brother's wife if he dies, marry a women you rape, polygamy, etc.) and why is the "a man shall not lie with a man" rule more important than these other rules.

The other point is that religions have consistently taken their morality from man and continually "evolve" what they permit (such as female clergy etc) as the call for it becomes stronger within general society. Then they get out the bible and re-interpret the scriptures to permit it, as the "scales fall from their eyes" and they can suddenly see that it's OK. The catholics changed their position on jews with Vatican II. The mormons stopped discriminating against blacks and dropped polygamy. The anglicans allow lesbian clergy. Whose to say that the "scales" won't soon drop on gay marriage?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
06-08-2012, 08:30 PM
this thing will eventually swaing around to why god's word is true and how it cannot be truly understood by mankind. I would just point out what jeff said and how the other rules in the bible are no longer followed. as for the passage in the new testament regarding homosexuality, it was written by people who still thought of themselves as jews so those rulings would still be jewish in origin thus making the old testament apply in this situation. lastly the passage in which jesus says that he came to fulfill the old laws is always worth ramming down someones throat, it's hard to make something that obvious mean its opposite

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
06-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Did men deny women the right to vote out of hatred for women ? No, probably not. It was an equality issue. Men didn't see women as equals.
They didn't see women as being intelligent enough to make an informed decision. Many men still think this way.

These people protesting against gay marriage may not being doing it out of hate, but they are doing it out of an issue of equality. They don't see LGBT individuals as equal.
They see them as so different, they try to define them as a deviant sexual desire. They don't see gay men and lesbian women as human beings, but as merely people who have an odd sexual desire.

If having a sexual desire to have sex with a woman is odd, then why are the straight men doing it ?
If having a sexual desire to have sex with a man is odd, then why are straight women doing it ?

In much the same way that people use the bible to kill children as witches, these people would use it to try and prevent other human beings from behaving in the same ways they do. It's just a partner of the opposite sex.
I don't paint my nails or have a tongue ring or have my nipples pierced and I'm not going to attempt to pass a law to stop adults from doing it.

The thing is, these same people who don't like two grown adult men having sex are also seemingly ok if a 40 yr old man marries an 11 yr old girl.

Marriage for all people will come to pass, but it will take time.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
06-08-2012, 10:00 PM
"A very large number of people in this country believe that sex is a gift from God for the procreation of the human race. We believe that it is designed to be enjoyed by a man and a woman who have committed to one another in marriage so that the children who result from the union have a family to be raised in, where they can have the love and support of both parents and role models of male and female adulthood."

From what infantile pattern in the brain does that delusion take hold? My Doc told me if I want to keep my old man prostate healthy, it needs to regularly spooge. He didn't mention anything about having to get God involved.

On the other hand, Sean does seem like a pretty good guy. Kinda like KingsChosen.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Wow - Some good responses added to that article. Nicely done and well reasoned!

Jeff -- My argument doesn't stem from the fact that the biblical law is 1. out of date and impractical in the modern world, or 2. Not the word of god - just a set laws designed by tribal leaders to ensure the survival and growth of the Hebrew tribe - my argument is all based on the legality of denying rights, under the constitution.

Eventually, this issue will be decided by the Supreme Court. In America today, it's a simple fact, when some states respect same-sex "marriages" and others do not it is in effect unequal treatment under the law. Case law and precedent is clear that denial of marriage equality is a violation under the 5th and 14th amendments. Ted Olsen, a conservative and former US Solicitor General, is chomping at the bit to argue this issue in front of the court and he will win - I have absolutely zero doubt. Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
07-08-2012, 08:10 AM
"We also believe that anything less than the biblical ideal of sexuality eventually causes hurt to the people involved and the community around them."

How does what two concenting adults do in the privacy of their own home hurt themselves or you in any way? You're not even talking about marriage at this point, you're talking about how they have sex and how it hurts YOU. How is that ANY of your business?

I'll agree on the point that the church should not be forced to marry people. But at the same time they can cross out the "Equal under God" from every piece of writing because you don't seem to care about people who don't believe as you do.

I'm not representative of europeans as we're culturaly diverse, but from a norwegian standpoint you're bigots who force your religious values down the throats of people who don't believe the same things you do.

And if marriage is so sacred why are the divorce rates sky high?
07-08-2012, 08:15 AM
(07-08-2012 08:10 AM)sillinde Wrote:  I'm not representative of europeans as we're culturaly diverse, but from a norwegian standpoint they're bigots who force their religious values down the throats of people who don't believe the same things they do.

And if marriage is so sacred why are the divorce rates sky high?

Fixed it for you Wink

"We" are the choir...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog