Chatroom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2015, 03:38 PM
RE: Chatroom
...Does that mean it will change as soon as I become a regular member?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2015, 05:28 PM
I've been an IRCop and there are a few things you'd have to consider:

1. Dedicated server. You control the rooms, rules, nickserv, etc. Good in that you have control, bad in that you need a new server. There are services that can protect a room. Also, you can create private rooms that need a key to enter or only certain people can get in. For instance, forum team room, debate room, etc.

2. Established server (using freenode, EFnet, undernet, etc). You use another's server. No control over the rooms. You can use chanserv to own a channel, but that's still not 100% foolproof. A netsplit sometimes causes hiccups and you get undesirable jacknuts in your room. Good in that you don't have to maintain your own server, bad in that you have less control.
17-01-2015, 07:22 PM
(17-01-2015 03:38 PM)Silmar Wrote:  ...Does that mean it will change as soon as I become a regular member?

I'm not sure. I was just taking a guess. If you're concerned you could make a thread in the forum issues and suggestion section or PM a mod. That would be the most likely way to get an answer from someone who isn't just guessing. Smile

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
17-01-2015, 07:55 PM
(17-01-2015 03:18 PM)Silmar Wrote:  I do have one question regarding the Shout Box. Everyone says it appears at the bottom right of the screen, and it does all right... whenever I'm offline. As soon as I log in, I can't seem to find it anywhere. Has this happened to anyone?

Yes, it's based on the number of posts.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-01-2015, 08:14 PM
(17-01-2015 07:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 03:18 PM)Silmar Wrote:  I do have one question regarding the Shout Box. Everyone says it appears at the bottom right of the screen, and it does all right... whenever I'm offline. As soon as I log in, I can't seem to find it anywhere. Has this happened to anyone?

Take it this was a Dumfuck the clown preventative measure.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-01-2015, 08:17 PM
(08-01-2013 07:37 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  Could there possibly be a chat feature on these forums?

No.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Id enjoy that....an irc chat
17-01-2015, 10:02 PM
(17-01-2015 07:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Or just wait like 30 minutes. Momsie's got this.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
18-01-2015, 04:40 AM
Rev's got it right. That clown craze took a while to die down. Interesting times.

He would start new accounts with 0 posts and spam the shoutbox. I removed shoutbox access for newly registered users.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
26-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Is there a limited number of characters one has to use in the shout box? Is it like twitter? I notice everyone writes short sentences.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.