Cheap Jews Claim Membership But Don't Pay

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2012, 04:11 PM
RE: Cheap Jews Claim Membership But Don't Pay
Hey, Jeff.

I don't see how you've broken my so-called dichotomy.

You said you amplified the stereotype to see what would happen. OK. So you weren't just saying cheap Jews because you're an anti-Semite, you were saying it to make a point. Fair enough. So shame on everyone else.

For example, Sacha Baron Cohen's use of Jewish stereotype in this clip is meant to illustrate a point. Shame on everyone else though.

As for the callous indifference, you're the one that said it was sad that it took three days for someone to call people out on the use of antisemitic epithets. That would be "what happened" no?

I don't understand what you mean when you talk about the lowered sensitivity to Judaism here.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Matt, this is about the point in the conversation where I have observed you twice to just suddenly shut down. I hope you'll appreciate that while I'm not particularly interested in this discussion, I'm not shutting down on you. I'm not clear on why you seem interested in heaping shame on someone, either me or the rest of the forum, but OK, let's explore it.

(15-08-2012 04:11 PM)Ghost Wrote:  So you weren't just saying cheap Jews because you're an anti-Semite, you were saying it to make a point.

Perhaps there is a point to be drawn, but as I said my intention was to see what would happen. That was one intention of the thread. Most of my threads are setup to operate on more than one level - that just makes it interesting. Likewise when I posted a Chick Fil-A video and described it as coming from a "mouthy broad." I finally had to ask if no one was going to take me to task for using the term, and then finally Aurora did. So on those two threads, why did two slurs pass un-commented for a few days? I don't jump to the conclusion that there is callous indifference, as there could be other explanations. Perhaps most people just ignore my threads. Perhaps they don't really notice the thread title. Perhaps they just assume that I'm a racist/bigot/misogynist and there's no point in bringing it up. Perhaps they recognized it as tongue in cheek. Perhaps there were just too many other interesting threads for people to bother. I need more data before I surmise a cause, but I don't see it as an A/B dichotomy.

(15-08-2012 04:11 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I don't understand what you mean when you talk about the lowered sensitivity to Judaism here.

My observation of this forum is that there is little discussion of Judaism relative to the range and number of issues that could be discussed.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
15-08-2012, 08:40 PM
This is quite interesting:-

http://weakonomics.com/2009/07/27/why-do...ith-money/

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
16-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Hey, Jeff.

This is where I throw up my hands and scratch my head.

Quote:I'm not clear on why you seem interested in heaping shame on someone, either me or the rest of the forum, but OK, let's explore it.

Well, it seems pretty straight forward to me. If someone is being anti-Semitic, that's shameful. That's pretty much the long and the short of it.

My only question was, were you being anti-Semitic, or were you trying to make a point? If you were just throwing around anti-Semitic epithets, then yeah, that would have been shameful. You're telling me that you deliberately used them for effect. That, to me, seems reasonable. It's not much more complicated than that.

Quote: My observation of this forum is that there is little discussion of Judaism relative to the range and number of issues that could be discussed.

What I meant is, you seem to be saying that this lack of discussion is responsible for something else. What is that something else? Or am I still way off?

Hey, Aurora.

That article was disgusting on every level.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
16-08-2012, 08:16 AM
(15-08-2012 06:07 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Perhaps there is a point to be drawn, but as I said my intention was to see what would happen. That was one intention of the thread. Most of my threads are setup to operate on more than one level - that just makes it interesting. Likewise when I posted a Chick Fil-A video and described it as coming from a "mouthy broad." I finally had to ask if no one was going to take me to task for using the term, and then finally Aurora did. So on those two threads, why did two slurs pass un-commented for a few days? I don't jump to the conclusion that there is callous indifference, as there could be other explanations. Perhaps most people just ignore my threads. Perhaps they don't really notice the thread title. Perhaps they just assume that I'm a racist/bigot/misogynist and there's no point in bringing it up. Perhaps they recognized it as tongue in cheek. Perhaps there were just too many other interesting threads for people to bother. I need more data before I surmise a cause, but I don't see it as an A/B dichotomy.

So, you go out of your way to be a douchebag to see if anyone calls you out as a douchebag for it?

That's pretty ... well, douchy, for lack of a better phrase. So, in conclusion, If you were going for "douchebag", you nailed it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
16-08-2012, 08:25 AM
(16-08-2012 08:16 AM)BnW Wrote:  So, you go out of your way to be a douchebag to see if anyone calls you out as a douchebag for it?

That's pretty ... well, douchy, for lack of a better phrase. So, in conclusion, If you were going for "douchebag", you nailed it.

Well, you would know.
16-08-2012, 08:28 AM
(16-08-2012 07:26 AM)Ghost Wrote:  My only question was, were you being anti-Semitic, or were you trying to make a point?

Matt, is the point of all this "gee I still don't get it" that you are asking me if I am anti-semitic? Is that your question? I think I've answered it but if I answer it again will it permit you to move on?
16-08-2012, 08:45 AM
(16-08-2012 08:28 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 07:26 AM)Ghost Wrote:  My only question was, were you being anti-Semitic, or were you trying to make a point?

Matt, is the point of all this "gee I still don't get it" that you are asking me if I am anti-semitic? Is that your question? I think I've answered it but if I answer it again will it permit you to move on?

I think what Ghost is getting at here is that you seem to post negative ire towards religion in any sense. You don't preface or explain what you're wanting to discuss, so it comes across as simple angst or hate.

With the Noah thing, it was like a random, unwarranted attack that didn't seem to make sense.

I know you may not necessarily want, but it does come across that way. Having unmitigated, stalwart hate towards anything isn't good. You can not agree with something, but you don't have venomous ire towards it.

Tolerance should be practiced in any situation.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-08-2012, 08:54 AM
(16-08-2012 08:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  With the Noah thing, it was like a random, unwarranted attack that didn't seem to make sense.

KC, look again at my original Noah post, contained here:

First Look at Noah
"Director Darren Aronofsky has been active on Twitter while filming his upcoming epic, Noah, in Iceland. Thursday, he released the first image of his star character, played by Russell Crowe. "

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctlive...e_g_1.html

None of those are my words. I simply saw a notice of a new film, and thought my fellow atheists might be interested to know about it. I had no particular comments to make about it, so just posted the link and the topic sentence from the article.

There is no judgement within it. It is a completely blank, white canvas.

You took that canvas and projected hate or whatever you saw. That came from you, not me.

Heal thyself.
16-08-2012, 09:05 AM
(16-08-2012 08:54 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 08:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  With the Noah thing, it was like a random, unwarranted attack that didn't seem to make sense.

KC, look again at my original Noah post, contained here:

First Look at Noah
"Director Darren Aronofsky has been active on Twitter while filming his upcoming epic, Noah, in Iceland. Thursday, he released the first image of his star character, played by Russell Crowe. "

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctlive...e_g_1.html

None of those are my words. I simply saw a notice of a new film, and thought my fellow atheists might be interested to know about it. I had no particular comments to make about it, so just posted the link and the topic sentence from the article.

There is no judgement within it. It is a completely blank, white canvas.

You took that canvas and projected hate or whatever you saw. That came from you, not me.

Heal thyself.

I know, but it was because of that blank slate that the questions arose:

Why?
What are you getting at?
What are you trying to say?

It's not a judgment, I'm just saying how ambiguity comes across in situations like this.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]