Cheap, Mis, and other door-to-door saviors...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2013, 04:41 PM
RE: Cheap, Mis, and other door-to-door saviors...
I stopped going to the meetings (church) at around 18, so I was only a kid for the duration of the time that I was doing door-to-door ministry. This meant that those I was with (mostly adults) kept track of the stats.

From what I remember, the most common response was "not interested". They were civil, but politely told us that they "have their own beliefs" and weren't interested. It was then that I or whoever I was with would ask if it'd be ok if they came back another day; which is obviously a tactic to ignore the householder's lack of interest and continue trying to reel them in. Usually they'd decline and we'd go to the next door.

Other times, people bluntly told us to get lost, or tried some sort of evasion tactic. I was once standing on a door and heard movement inside. When I glanced up, I saw the blinds move like somebody had just been looking at us. Then, through the blurry window on the front door, I could see the woman walk to the nearby wall and pick up the phone. When she answered the door, she pretended to be talking to someone and told us she didn't have time. It was kind of funny, but I still wish I had called her out on it. (And if it had started ringing when she answered the door, I would've died laughing)

Only a handful of times did I ever get anyone who was actually interested. From memory, I can count 3 times (!) that people invited us back to tell them more. And much of the time, people either aren't home, or they're pretending not to be home. So a lot of the ministry work was rolling up tracts and magazines and sticking them between the doorknobs and the frame.

Overall, when I went out with others from the congregation, we mostly worked on studies and return calls. Meaning, we either returned to a house to which we'd been previously invited, or we'd go to a "study's" house to sit down for an hour or two and school them on JW doctrine. Even though I didn't like going door-to-door because I was shy, I liked it more than the studies, because it was active (knocking houses out one after the other) and because the studies were long and boring. A few times the Circuit Overseer (the big-cheese in charge of a given "precinct", if you will) would invite me out to attend a return study with him. That was always an honor, but I feel like my presence was being used as a tool to manipulate the householder in some way. During a study, I'd just sit there while the CO talked to the householder about this and that; then I'd be the one to read Bible verses when necessary.

So, I didn't get many "converts" by going door-to-door. That's just kind of a way to chum the waters and see who bites. The real goal is to get a return-study, which is then cultivated over the course of weeks or months. Then at some point, the study decides they want to attend a meeting; where they're welcomed with open arms and as much love and community as the congregation can throw at them. That's when they tend to stick around.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2013, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2013 06:03 PM by Anjele.)
Wow, seems like a lot of rejection and little success.

The worst experience I had with door-knockers was when a couple of women from a local Baptist church came to the door one night bearing cooking and flyers. Seemed to be a training session for the younger of the two. She and I were getting along fine and she was really pleasant and accepting of the fact that I appreciated her invitation but wasn't interested. The older lady asked my religious background. When I said I was raised Catholic, she gasped and turned pale. That really pissed me off. I had invited them in because it was cold out and was hospitable. I thought she was rude as hell. I called their pastor to tell him I didn't appreciate the visit and that kind of reaction was probably not going to get them recruits. He made excuses. Later another minister told me a tent revivalist had been preaching that Catholics were the closest thing to Atheists. I should have just said I sacrificed cats within a pentagram on every full moon. Edited...My bad...Catholics were the closest things to Satanists...which I imagine were on the same level as Atheists.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-02-2013, 05:15 PM
lol. It always amuses me when there's inter-faith turmoil. Like Star Wars fans vs. Star Trek fans. It's absurd.

"Wait, you think...you think Han shot first?" *Turns pale*

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post