Cheaters never win

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2015, 10:33 AM
RE: Cheaters never win
I find it so cool that there are so many teachers/professors on this forum!

I teach but not in a "classroom" setting, I find it very rewarding when attendees come back and tell me how much our presentations helped them. Cheating isn't an issue in what we do.

Carry on Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-04-2015, 11:16 AM
I took this honors Anatomy and Physiology class, (with all these nerdy pre-meds in it). When I first saw the book, I thought "there is no way I 'm ever gonna get an "A" in this ... the time it would require makes it an impossibility", (and I wasn't going to give up my life and do nothing but study A&P). So the night before the final, the instructor, (who is a research neurosurgeon who teaches 1 class) sent me an email, and said "Be sure and study ... you have the only 'A' going". Fuck. I would have been happy with a "B". Tongue
So I did study all night for that one, just to not disappoint him. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-04-2015, 11:40 AM
(30-04-2015 10:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 09:51 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'll admit there were some classes in college I had no chance of passing without cheating. Honestly, geology does come to mind (please don't hate me). I highly underestimated the amount of effort I would have to put in. I doubt I would have ever gotten through that class without cheating.

But my major had nothing to do with that subject either.

Looking back again, back in my day..cheating actually required a lot of effort. I was never the type to just copy off someone else...No, I made teeny tiny cheat sheets...which I found that sometimes I didn't need to refer to them.

"...I made teeny tiny cheat sheets...which I found that sometimes I didn't need to refer to them."

And inadvertently studied in the process of making them.

I like Neil Degrasse Tyson's observation that students cheat because they value their grade more than their education.

I can only speak for myself in that, but the only classes I did cheat in, were classes I was required to take that had no bearing on my degree.

It was very frustrating at the time and the pressure to perform was overwhelming.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

30-04-2015, 03:18 PM
(30-04-2015 11:40 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 10:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "...I made teeny tiny cheat sheets...which I found that sometimes I didn't need to refer to them."

And inadvertently studied in the process of making them.

I like Neil Degrasse Tyson's observation that students cheat because they value their grade more than their education.

I can only speak for myself in that, but the only classes I did cheat in, were classes I was required to take that had no bearing on my degree.

It was very frustrating at the time and the pressure to perform was overwhelming.

Yeah, sex-ed classes can drive you to that. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
30-04-2015, 04:01 PM
(30-04-2015 06:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Tis that time of year when final grades are being calculated, and I'm forever amazed at how people can perform badly in the labs I teach. Seriously, not that hard AND you can ask me all the questions you want while you're doing the assignment.

Luckily I've mitigated the amount of cheating I have to deal with over the last few years by altering any exams or quizzes I give so that it's hard to copy off of your neighbor AND get a correct answer. Basically, I let this cheaters earn their F. I've had one thorn in my side this semester who has copied on my quizzes and has maintained a passing quiz grade of a C-. Annoying as that is, their attempts to cheat on the exams has been fruitless. This has put the person in a position where passing the class is going to be quite the uphill climb, as they'll need a much better grade on the final than they've pulled off on any of the other tests.

I guess I should note that sometimes cheaters do "win" in that they get a better grade than they should. But, as transcripts and GPA's matter less and letters of recommendation matter more, that's kind a off moot point these days.

I don't think I have ever actually cheated on a test before... Always been tempting, though. I've never been able to puzzle out a way to efficiently and reliably cheat with minimal risk...

Out of curiosity, what you you be thinking about a student who spent a good deal of their time hunched over, all but hiding their test, and the other rest of their time looking around non-specifically?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Way back when I was in school I never cheated. That would require concern over grades..
I didn't cheat in collage or university either. Because I didn't go.
01-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Cheating sure would have made Algebra easier for me to get through.

I was so determined to 'get it' that it became a challenge with myself - and more than one attempt to finally make it through. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Cheating can have a strong cultural component. For instance I find that middle eastern students with a communal viewpoint don't understand the nature of independent work.

I sympathize with those who cheat out of desperation and own up to it. There's a.lot of pressure on these kids.
02-05-2015, 04:13 PM
In my science class kids get the answer sheet for the test. So cheaters can win.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube