Check out Deez Crazy Nutz!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Check out Deez Crazy Nutz!
The brain is an amazing mechanism. For a while now I've been troubled by how deluded I was and for so many years as a True Believer. This 14 minute TED Talk gave me a little bit of self-absolution. All of our brains are "mis-wired" to fill in the blanks when presented with an optical illusion. The illusions shown in this video help me realize that my True Believer Worldview was based on my vantage point for seeing the world: I was born into a True Believer family and associated pretty much only with other True Believers for many years. So, my mind saw things from a certain viewpoint, my brain filled in the blanks to reconcile a false image and I was left with a deluded worldview. When I stepped outside the church doors and worked in a "secular" job and stopped hearing the propaganda, my perspective changed and I was able to see how the delusion of a personal relationship with Jesus seemed real, but was just a facade.

This whole video is great, but if you just want to see the Crazy Nuts, start at 1:30 and go for a couple of minutes. It's worth the price of admission.

Al Seckel, a cognitive neuroscientist, explores the perceptual illusions that fool our brains

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2011, 08:02 PM
RE: Check out Deez Crazy Nutz!
There is no end to the extreme measures we resort to to make sense of the absurd. We don't seem to have a choice. We cannot seem to just live in the absurd. We are miswired precisely because that is indeed where we live.

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-11-2011, 10:47 PM
(26-11-2011 08:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is no end to the extreme measures we resort to to make sense of the absurd. We don't seem to have a choice. We cannot seem to just live in the absurd. We are miswired precisely because that is indeed where we live.

Which sounds an awful lot like someone describing The Fall and Original Sin. Cool

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
27-11-2011, 01:21 AM
(26-11-2011 10:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-11-2011 08:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is no end to the extreme measures we resort to to make sense of the absurd. We don't seem to have a choice. We cannot seem to just live in the absurd. We are miswired precisely because that is indeed where we live.

Which sounds an awful lot like someone describing The Fall and Original Sin. Cool

It does, doesn't it?

This is not my signature.
11-03-2012, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 01:40 AM by Erxomai.)
Proof of the divine!

[Image: jesus-christ-illusion.gif]

Stare at the image for 30 seconds and then look at a blank wall.

11-03-2012, 02:37 AM
(11-03-2012 01:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Proof of the divine!

I must be doing it wrong. I never get these stare at a thing for a while and then do something ones Sad Unless... am I just supposed to see a blank wall?
11-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Velly interlesting Tongue

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
11-03-2012, 03:38 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 10:29 AM by Erxomai.)
(11-03-2012 02:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-03-2012 01:36 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Proof of the divine!

I must be doing it wrong. I never get these stare at a thing for a while and then do something ones Sad Unless... am I just supposed to see a blank wall?

You should stare at the center. Pick on of the dots in the vertical line of dots. Give it a good 30 seconds the stare at a lighted wall.

11-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Holy.... IT'S GRIZZLY ADAMS! I SEE IT! Erxomai you tricky bastard.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post