Check out this hydrogen Mercedes. Awesome video of it with 'invisibility cloak'.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Check out this hydrogen Mercedes. Awesome video of it with 'invisibility cloak'.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/03/2...=obnetwork

Why isn't this everywhere?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
22-03-2012, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 04:58 PM by kineo.)
RE: Check out this hydrogen Mercedes. Awesome video of it with 'invisibility cloak'.
I hate the Fox News channel- I can never figure out which script is their player to play videos... Sad

Look at all the scripts they have running in the back ground when you go to their site.

[Image: dHxr1.jpg]
Temporarily allow all- worth it. That is fuckin' cool!
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
22-03-2012, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 06:18 PM by DeepThought.)
RE: Check out this hydrogen Mercedes. Awesome video of it with 'invisibility cloak'.
(22-03-2012 02:29 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Why isn't this everywhere?
Cos invisible cars - or semi-invisible cars aren't a good idea if you don't want other people on the road distracted or hitting you.

I wonder how much it would cost to repair after an accident. All those lcd panels.

The compute resources required to run the cloak with the multiple camera inputs and correcting for a complex 3d panel layout in realtime would blow savings running on fuel cells out of the water. Especially the power requirements to cloak with lcd panels running in daylight or bright surroundings.

Fuel cells are still problematic because of fragile membranes that wear out from exposure to free radicals. Also that they require expensive rare metals like platinum.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
22-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Um... I can totally see the car. Does that mean I have super vision?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
23-03-2012, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2012 07:20 AM by germanyt.)
(22-03-2012 06:11 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(22-03-2012 02:29 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Why isn't this everywhere?
Cos invisible cars - or semi-invisible cars aren't a good idea if you don't want other people on the road distracted or hitting you.

I wonder how much it would cost to repair after an accident. All those lcd panels.

The compute resources required to run the cloak with the multiple camera inputs and correcting for a complex 3d panel layout in realtime would blow savings running on fuel cells out of the water. Especially the power requirements to cloak with lcd panels running in daylight or bright surroundings.

Fuel cells are still problematic because of fragile membranes that wear out from exposure to free radicals. Also that they require expensive rare metals like platinum.

I meant the hydrogen fuel cell part. This is a Mercedes and even with hydrogen it's only $60,000. This suggests to me that any car could use this tech without significantly increasing the price of the car.

(22-03-2012 06:29 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Um... I can totally see the car. Does that mean I have super vision?

What car? Big Grin

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-03-2012, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2012 09:19 AM by Filox.)
60k for water running car? So in the next 10000 miles I would spend how much on gas?

Here is some quick figures... I spend approximately 100$ a month for gas. I spend more, but let's say a 100$ That gives me ... quick calculating ... 45.45 liters of gas, which is 12 gallons. My car can go 100km with 7.7 liters, that is 36.7 mpg (miles per gallon). That means I need around 276 gallons of petrol to go 10000 miles (1038 liters), and that brings me to around 2000$.

If I were to spend only 100& a month for gas, that would mean that in the next 20 months I would spend around 2000$ on gas alone. That is not counting my field trips in nature, on festivals, visiting my friends in distant towns... So in the next 20 months I would at least double that amount of fuel with all the extra driving, bringing me closer to 4000$, than 2000$.

Or, with this Mercedes it would be 0, as in ZERO $. To completely pay of this car I would need to drive it for ... what ... some 10-15 years maybe? I think this is not only great, but the best thing ever made. EDIT: Hmmm, now I've seen it runs on hydrogen, not water, not YET. So they now need to work on a technology get free hydrogen from water, without it, this whole technology is bullshiting as well as all others.

You should all be aware that this is still new technology, it is still expensive and not that well engineered as it can be in the next 5-10 years. So, it will become cheaper, yet better. And as stated, this is a Mercedes, so when some less expensive brand makes this same thing in the near future, you can expect that car to pay of itself in the first 5-10 years top. Pay of itself only with no fuel expenses. Now, you just watch how they (the oil companies) will try to prove this to be too expensive to mass produce, too dangerous for XY reasons, all sorts of lies....

I just remembers something now and I just spend an hour searching, but can not found it anymore, they have hidden it, as always. I once was in possession of an old article made about Shell-GM car that could go 1000 miles or something like that with 1 gallon of petrol. The idea was that Shell and GM (if I remember it correctly) wanted to show how fuel efficient a car can be, they have done it, then they have disassembled it and left it to rust. I have no idea about the characteristics of the motor, but the car was big, as all the cars were in the 1954! Yes, that is right, they did that 60 years ago. Do not think that companies like Toyota can not make Prius use 1/3 of it's current consumption, but they are not allowed to do that, because the oil spins the world of money. Actually, Prius is not a fuel efficient car, my old 1986 Opel Kaddet D 1.6 diesel was using 1/3 less fuel than brand new Toyota Prius, so all this is just bullshit marketing. Top gear once did a test with BMW M3 and Toyota Prius, showing how a BMW can spend less than Toyota.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badoMjA_rW0

I so hate this Prius shit and Clarckson has explained it perfectly. It does more damage to the environment than a Land Rover Discovery. So sad, so sad right now, I gotta go smoke myself to death and drive a normal petrol car... First drive, then smoke, of course...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
23-03-2012, 09:26 AM
(23-03-2012 09:05 AM)Filox Wrote:  60k for water running car? So in the next 10000 miles I would spend how much on gas?

Here is some quick figures... I spend approximately 100$ a month for gas. I spend more, but let's say a 100$ That gives me ... quick calculating ... 45.45 liters of gas, which is 12 gallons. My car can go 100km with 7.7 liters, that is 36.7 mpg (miles per gallon). That means I need around 276 gallons of petrol to go 10000 miles (1038 liters), and that brings me to around 2000$.

If I were to spend only 100& a month for gas, that would mean that in the next 20 months I would spend around 2000$ on gas alone. That is not counting my field trips in nature, on festivals, visiting my friends in distant towns... So in the next 20 months I would at least double that amount of fuel with all the extra driving, bringing me closer to 4000$, than 2000$.

Or, with this Mercedes it would be 0, as in ZERO $. To completely pay of this car I would need to drive it for ... what ... some 10-15 years maybe? I think this is not only great, but the best thing ever made. EDIT: Hmmm, now I've seen it runs on hydrogen, not water, not YET. So they now need to work on a technology get free hydrogen from water, without it, this whole technology is bullshiting as well as all others.

You should all be aware that this is still new technology, it is still expensive and not that well engineered as it can be in the next 5-10 years. So, it will become cheaper, yet better. And as stated, this is a Mercedes, so when some less expensive brand makes this same thing in the near future, you can expect that car to pay of itself in the first 5-10 years top. Pay of itself only with no fuel expenses. Now, you just watch how they (the oil companies) will try to prove this to be too expensive to mass produce, too dangerous for XY reasons, all sorts of lies....

I just remembers something now and I just spend an hour searching, but can not found it anymore, they have hidden it, as always. I once was in possession of an old article made about Shell-GM car that could go 1000 miles or something like that with 1 gallon of petrol. The idea was that Shell and GM (if I remember it correctly) wanted to show how fuel efficient a car can be, they have done it, then they have disassembled it and left it to rust. I have no idea about the characteristics of the motor, but the car was big, as all the cars were in the 1954! Yes, that is right, they did that 60 years ago. Do not think that companies like Toyota can not make Prius use 1/3 of it's current consumption, but they are not allowed to do that, because the oil spins the world of money. Actually, Prius is not a fuel efficient car, my old 1986 Opel Kaddet D 1.6 diesel was using 1/3 less fuel than brand new Toyota Prius, so all this is just bullshit marketing. Top gear once did a test with BMW M3 and Toyota Prius, showing how a BMW can spend less than Toyota.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badoMjA_rW0

I so hate this Prius shit and Clarckson has explained it perfectly. It does more damage to the environment than a Land Rover Discovery. So sad, so sad right now, I gotta go smoke myself to death and drive a normal petrol car... First drive, then smoke, of course...

Big Grin

Brah, the $60,000 price tag isn't so because of the fuel cell. It's because it's a Mercedes. This exact same car with a diesel or gasline engine would still be $50,000 or more. What this means is that you could potentially mass produce hydrogen cars that only cost 20% or less than their gas couterparts. So a $20,000 dollar car could cost as little as $24,000 for the hydrogen model. In theory I suppose. 4 grand on 60 months at a reasonable rate will increase your payment around $70. If hydrogen is significantly cheaper than gas then it will pay for itself and have nothing but drops of water coming out of the tailpipe. That's a pretty incredible breakthrough there. It solves all automotive pollution problems and completely rids us of dependance on foreign oil.

BAZINGA!

-Mark Twain
23-03-2012, 10:04 AM
(23-03-2012 09:05 AM)Filox Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badoMjA_rW0
I lol'd

all those BMW parts are made around the corner of course...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
23-03-2012, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2012 12:05 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(23-03-2012 09:05 AM)Filox Wrote:  60k for water running car? So in the next 10000 miles I would spend how much on gas?

There is no such thing as free energy, fossil fuels are about as close as you can get because all you have to do is pump it out of the ground. Hydrogen isn't free, nor is the process of extracting it from water. It takes energy to extract the hydrogen from the water, so unless we use renewable energy to do so it only solves 1 of the 2 problems.

Your car will never run on water, sorry. Most hydrogen cars use hydrogen fuel cells to produce electricity to run an electric motor. The process is quite efficient, so there is no leftover energy to convert water to hydrogen. If you were to instead burn the hydrogen in the combustion engine, then this might be a possibility. However, you lost the efficiency of the electric engine so I doubt you would actually gain anything.

In the last decade the cost of manufacturing fuel cells has dropped 80%, assuming mass manufacturing. In 2010 the DoE estimates the cost of mass manufacturing fuel cells to be about $51/kW. US. Department of Energy's 2012 goal of $30 USD/kW would achieve closer parity with internal combustion engines for automotive applications, allowing a 100 kW fuel cell to be produced for $3000. (100 kW is about 134 hp)

Atm the electric car is just superior for the needs of the average motorist. However, the future will likely be in the hydrogen cars, which gives people the same flexible mobility they enjoy today.

(23-03-2012 09:05 AM)Filox Wrote:  I just remembers something now and I just spend an hour searching, but can not found it anymore, they have hidden it, as always. I once was in possession of an old article made about Shell-GM car that could go 1000 miles or something like that with 1 gallon of petrol. The idea was that Shell and GM (if I remember it correctly) wanted to show how fuel efficient a car can be, they have done it, then they have disassembled it and left it to rust. I have no idea about the characteristics of the motor, but the car was big, as all the cars were in the 1954! Yes, that is right, they did that 60 years ago. Do not think that companies like Toyota can not make Prius use 1/3 of it's current consumption, but they are not allowed to do that, because the oil spins the world of money. Actually, Prius is not a fuel efficient car, my old 1986 Opel Kaddet D 1.6 diesel was using 1/3 less fuel than brand new Toyota Prius, so all this is just bullshit marketing. Top gear once did a test with BMW M3 and Toyota Prius, showing how a BMW can spend less than Toyota.

Thats just some ridiculous conspiracy theory. If a car company possessed such technology, hell even a 100 mpg car, they would completely dominate the car market overnight.

(23-03-2012 09:05 AM)Filox Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badoMjA_rW0

Big Grin
Electric cars become far more efficient at higher speeds. Its not meant to be on a race track.
Also the m3 was driven behind the prius, thus drafting and reducing drag.

As far as the inefficiency manufacturing process, well thats to be expected considering how infantile the business is. However, there is a good deal of transportation involved in any car that is manufactured. Its a terribly inefficient system, but one we exploit due to the cheap cost of fossil fuels.

Simply put that was not science, that was a farce from an obviously bias source.
27-03-2012, 10:52 AM
pfft, wake me up when it runs on a banana peel and can travel in time.