Checking things out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Checking things out
Have seen a few of Seth's videos and loved them so decided to check things out on the forum. Am curious to find likeminded people who aren't afraid to speak their mind. Have given up on gone pretty much since graduating high school though its only been the past couple of years that I've discovered Christopher Hitchens, Dawkins and the like so I suppose I've only just now really come to understand why I felt such unhappiness over the idea of a "god".

Hope to find out how the rest of you came to your unbelief as well or to find out why you may still believe (I'm sure there are some of you here!) Smile

Oh and its an aside but as my username suggests I'm also a big Game of Thrones fan, am rereading the books for the 4th time right now. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2013, 08:46 PM
RE: Checking things out
(20-04-2013 06:56 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  Have seen a few of Seth's videos and loved them so decided to check things out on the forum. Am curious to find likeminded people who aren't afraid to speak their mind. Have given up on gone pretty much since graduating high school though its only been the past couple of years that I've discovered Christopher Hitchens, Dawkins and the like so I suppose I've only just now really come to understand why I felt such unhappiness over the idea of a "god".

Hope to find out how the rest of you came to your unbelief as well or to find out why you may still believe (I'm sure there are some of you here!) Smile

Oh and its an aside but as my username suggests I'm also a big Game of Thrones fan, am rereading the books for the 4th time right now. Big Grin

Oh you won't have any problem finding people who aren't to speak their minds here. In fact, you may regret wishing for that. Big Grin

I've had Feast of Crows on my shelf for years. Maybe I'll finally get around to it one day. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
23-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi and welcome.

And yeah... people will say exactly what they're thinking here.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-04-2013, 09:54 AM
(20-04-2013 06:56 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  Am curious to find likeminded people who aren't afraid to speak their mind.

Oh no... not another like minded wiseass. Can't we get some unlike minded people in here once in a while? Blink

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
23-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Welcome,

I must admit that when I first saw your username I thought of West Bull@#%t church.

Game of Thrones never came to mind.

Shows you my mental state.

Just an outsider looking inn.
23-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Welcome Smile
23-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Hello from new to newer.

Want something? Then do something.
23-04-2013, 04:41 PM
(20-04-2013 06:56 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  Oh and its an aside but as my username suggests I'm also a big Game of Thrones fan, am rereading the books for the 4th time right now. Big Grin

Read the first three books and loved them (enjoy the show as well), but saw mixed reviews about the 4th & 5th installments due to lack of major POV characters along with the two books basically being a split of one big one. Plus, folks are worried about Martin's slow writing pace, not to mention that his age/health might prevent him from finishing the series. What do you think?
25-04-2013, 11:05 AM
(23-04-2013 09:54 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 06:56 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  Am curious to find likeminded people who aren't afraid to speak their mind.

Oh no... not another like minded wiseass. Can't we get some unlike minded people in here once in a while? Blink

If you're not acting like a wiseass than you are taking things too seriously. Wink

(23-04-2013 10:00 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  Welcome,

I must admit that when I first saw your username I thought of West Bull@#%t church.

Game of Thrones never came to mind.

Shows you my mental state.

I'm not sure what the rules are on this forum but got the feeling someone from that place would troll themselves to a ban in no time.

But I'm glad to ease your state of mind though I feel I may have missed a chance to mindfuck with people here lol.

(23-04-2013 04:41 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 06:56 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  Oh and its an aside but as my username suggests I'm also a big Game of Thrones fan, am rereading the books for the 4th time right now. Big Grin

Read the first three books and loved them (enjoy the show as well), but saw mixed reviews about the 4th & 5th installments due to lack of major POV characters along with the two books basically being a split of one big one. Plus, folks are worried about Martin's slow writing pace, not to mention that his age/health might prevent him from finishing the series. What do you think?

Well I do think the first 3 novels were better than the next two were but I loved them all, for me its giving 1-3 an A+ and 4 and 5 an A. Not quite as good but I'm hardly going to complain. They are a bit slower in pace but the character development is still sound (except for Dany ugh) and that is what I read for, not battles or other "action".

Believe me, in regards to Martin and his health I join the legions who are concerned about it. I have my fingers crossed and may even try praying to R'hllor in desperation to bring him back from the dead should he croak in order to get this thing done. Hopefully the HBO series may actually help spur his literary jucies as no one wants the show to outpace the books.

Really, read them all. Feast of Crows can start a bit slow but it certainly picks up nicely. Plus now that both books are out you don't need to be upset over the fact he split the books up by character, can get them all without going without your fav POVs. Smile
25-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Quote:Well I do think the first 3 novels were better than the next two were but I loved them all, for me its giving 1-3 an A+ and 4 and 5 an A. Not quite as good but I'm hardly going to complain. They are a bit slower in pace but the character development is still sound (except for Dany ugh) and that is what I read for, not battles or other "action".

Believe me, in regards to Martin and his health I join the legions who are concerned about it. I have my fingers crossed and may even try praying to R'hllor in desperation to bring him back from the dead should he croak in order to get this thing done. Hopefully the HBO series may actually help spur his literary jucies as no one wants the show to outpace the books.

Really, read them all. Feast of Crows can start a bit slow but it certainly picks up nicely. Plus now that both books are out you don't need to be upset over the fact he split the books up by character, can get them all without going without your fav POVs. Smile

SPOILERISH, so beware...
Yeah, I'll probably read them, but I hate to get into a series only to find out that the ending sucks (I'm thinking of Del Toro's Strigoli trilogy - first two book were great, last one stank like a vampire's breath). Also heard about Martin turning Dany into a lovesick girl vs. the strong leader she's been so far, and Tyrion becoming kind of a knucklehead during his (overlong) quest to find Dany. Ah well...I may wait until the next book comes out to see how it is before committing to 4 and 5 - thanks for the info, though! Thumbsup