Ched Evans rape case

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Ched Evans rape case
Disclaimer; This is thread about a current, real life rape case. If you feel that you may be psychologically damaged by this thread then please consider leaving it now.

So the English press have been heavily covering the case of Ched Evans recently. Evans is convicted rapist and former (and potentially future) professional footballer. A few years ago Evans was convicted of rape. The case was very controversial as it wasn't a standard rape case. Evans and a friend of his both had sex with a really drunk girl. A big point in the case was whether the girl knew what was going on and was participating or was completely oblivious. When the verdict was delivered Evans was convicted of rape, while his friend was acquitted.

This week Evans is due to be released from prison and there have been fierce debates in the press about whether or not he should be allowed to return to professional football, either with his old club or a new one.

A further talking point has been Judy Finnigan and her 27 year old daughter. Finnigan publicly defended Evans right to return to football and in the process called the rape "non-violent". Since then she has become the target of online threats. After her daughter defended her she also received threats, including threats to rape her.

So, I have two questions for everyone;

- Should Evans be allowed to return to professional football?

- Were Finnigan's comments offensive?

My view on the first question is that he should be completely allowed to return to football. I think that he has served his sentence and that thinking that he should be denied the chance to find employment is stupid. I also think that if he just sat at home living off tax payers money, the same people who think he shouldn't be allowed to play professional football would be complaining that he was life was being funded, which is simply retarded.

My view on the second question is that I simply don't know. I would be very interested to hear other people's views though.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2014, 10:59 AM
RE: Ched Evans rape case
I dunno. I suppose he could make a living doing something else. He can't play football forever. Eventually he'll have to do something else with his life.

The other part...People are just crazy. I don't find her opinion to be offensive. Dismissive perhaps but not offensive.

But I've seen this happen before and I think it's always childish and wrong.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Even if her opinions are offensive she should still be allowed to hold them and express them. I don't like the way that the British press in particular calls something offensive which stifles a greater discussion. I didn't find her adjective of 'non-violent' offensive but I did find it tasteless and if it had been said in my presence I would have taken her up on it...

Of course Evans should be allowed to return to football - he has served his time and that is that. Whether a club will want the PR hassle to take him on is another matter....

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
16-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Stigmatisation of past offenders is a massive problem in many societies. Particularly sex crimes.

But it goes and in hand with punitive "justice", I suppose...

I doubt time in prison was conducive to his sporting ability, but whether any club or league would hire him is entirely their own call.
(ie, "allowed" by whom?)

If a comment offends someone then it is/was offensive. Did this comment offend anyone?

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
16-10-2014, 11:31 AM
(16-10-2014 11:17 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Stigmatisation of past offenders is a massive problem in many societies. Particularly sex crimes.

But it goes and in hand with punitive "justice", I suppose...
I saw an excellent movie concerning that topic a while ago. It's called Jagten (The Hunt). Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
16-10-2014, 12:11 PM
(16-10-2014 11:17 AM)cjlr Wrote:  If a comment offends someone then it is/was offensive. Did this comment offend anyone?

Well considering people attacked her for it, and then threatened to rape her daughter when she defended her, I think it's safe to say that some people may have been offended by it.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
16-10-2014, 05:01 PM
(16-10-2014 12:11 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 11:17 AM)cjlr Wrote:  If a comment offends someone then it is/was offensive. Did this comment offend anyone?

Well considering people attacked her for it, and then threatened to rape her daughter when she defended her, I think it's safe to say that some people may have been offended by it.

[Image: fGelg.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
16-10-2014, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 05:33 PM by DLJ.)
Quote:[Image: fGelg.jpg]

My point exactly...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
16-10-2014, 05:11 PM
I think when it comes to sex crime in the west we have a rather peculiar problem where we are very reluctant to convict anyone, and almost completely unwilling to forgive them once we do.
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
17-10-2014, 12:51 AM
I can imagine that a lot of people wouldn't want anything to do with any team that hired him though. You don't even have to commit a rape for people to utterly reject you these days; just be accused of it. Don't even need evidence to be put in prison for it either by the looks of a lot of recent celebrity cases.

He's done his time in prison as decided by a judge and now he should be free to do whatever, but I highly doubt that anyone will actually want him.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.