Cheese... Fromage... Queso... Formaggio...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Cheese... Fromage... Queso... Formaggio...
Some of us enjoy cheeses to the point of almost being snobs. Let's discuss our favorite cheeses, how we serve them, and so on.

Among my favorites are Shropshire Blue (very earthy and strong), Humboldt Fog, and various Dutch goat gouda. On the lower end, pepper jack and sharp Cheddar are great. Sharper the better.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Clockwork's post
20-08-2017, 07:24 PM
RE: Cheese... Fromage... Queso... Formaggio...
Aged Gouda. In pretty much everything I can put it in. Including my homemade pimento cheese although to be fair, that has several different cheeses in it.

And hoop cheese. Or as we refer to it, greasy cheese. My husband is more of a Cheeseaholic than I am.

I don't think I've ever tried Shropshire Blue. How hard is that to find? I don't exactly have any sources nearby above and beyond the usual Food Lion, Harris Teeter, etc. Closest Whole Foods type place is over 30 miles away. So I do get there every once in a while.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
20-08-2017, 07:33 PM
My cheese selection is limited to the fancy cheese kiosk at Dillon's, and I've only recently started buying small blocks to nibble on but I'm liking what I've tried.

Havarti is my cheese of choice at the moment, I want to try a gouda but not sure what it's like. I think it's the name that throws me off.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
20-08-2017, 07:36 PM
I do NOT like smoked Gouda. Just regular Gouda. But then I don't really like much of anything that's smoked, whether it's meat or cheese. So if you like smoked bacon or cheeses or whatever you may prefer smoked Gouda over regular Gouda.

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
20-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Baked Brie!

[Image: baked_brie.jpg]

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
20-08-2017, 07:45 PM
(20-08-2017 07:24 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I don't think I've ever tried Shropshire Blue. How hard is that to find? I don't exactly have any sources nearby above and beyond the usual Food Lion, Harris Teeter, etc. Closest Whole Foods type place is over 30 miles away. So I do get there every once in a while.
It seems to be hard to find. A local cheese shop carried it, but then they conber over to a sandwich shop. Now their cheese selection is miniscule.

I haven't seen it at Trader Joe's, so the only place now is Amazon. Confused

Yeah, smoked gouda is hit or miss for me. I wish I could remember a cheese from Dublin I really enjoyed. My Harris Teeter has some interesting choices, but nothing spectacular. I want to make my own one day.
20-08-2017, 08:13 PM

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2017, 08:19 PM
We saw First Aid Kit in concert a few years ago and one of the girls did a long series of truly terrible cheese jokes. Kind of like these:

[Image: 3dcd12545b6e7dbac3891a4b58ecfdc0.jpg]

[+] 6 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
20-08-2017, 09:10 PM
(20-08-2017 08:19 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  We saw First Aid Kit in concert a few years ago and one of the girls did a long series of truly terrible cheese jokes. Kind of like these:

[Image: 3dcd12545b6e7dbac3891a4b58ecfdc0.jpg]
I do that way too often. I have a problem.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
20-08-2017, 10:27 PM
I don't know all the fancy types, just that I like cheese and everyone who doesn't is wrong.

Brie, soft stinkyish cheese, super sharp aged cheddar, paneer, this crispy dried goat cheese I got in Mongolia that I can't remember the name of, the cheese curds in the gas stations in Quebec, cheese in brine (also a gas station specialty), whole milk cottage cheese (2% or skim cottage cheese is not really food, it's an abomination and should be excommunicated)...

It's all good.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post