Cheese... Fromage... Queso... Formaggio...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2017, 05:55 AM
RE: Cheese... Fromage... Queso... Formaggio...
My boyfriend is a cheeseaholic Tongue So we always have cheese in my house. Right now we have a mozzarella ball that I just recently used to make eggplant pizzas with. Well, his eggplant pizza not mine Wink We also typically have feta, Swiss, blue cheese, and sharp cheddar in the fridge. I don't know if he's definitely a cheese snob but his eyes light up when we get some high quality cheeses. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
23-08-2017, 07:23 AM
(23-08-2017 05:55 AM)jennybee Wrote:  My boyfriend is a cheeseaholic Tongue So we always have cheese in my house. Right now we have a mozzarella ball that I just recently used to make eggplant pizzas with. Well, his eggplant pizza not mine Wink We also typically have feta, Swiss, blue cheese, and sharp cheddar in the fridge. I don't know if he's definitely a cheese snob but his eyes light up when we get some high quality cheeses. Tongue
Mrs Oaktree is a huge Cheese snob, have all sorts of random stinky cheeses also in our fridge, and Little Miss Oaktree is starting to get into cheese, particularly goats cheese recently.

I feel highly outnumbered on the cheese front haha.

When life gives you lemons, just remember you are an....
(18-09-2017 09:47 AM)vahaaao Wrote:  Irresponsible bachelor daddy
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
23-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Cheese is the main reason I can't ever see myself going Vegan. Well, cheese and butter.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
24-08-2017, 10:24 AM
I like cheese. Not the stinky stuff though. Nor the soft, buttery ones that taste almost sweet.

I like it hard and salty. And do quote me on that.

I'm mostly a fan of Greek types of cheese, with feta being my favorite. I don't think it's worth mentioning any others, I guess you guys probably won't know them (halloumi perhaps?)

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
24-08-2017, 11:58 AM
(24-08-2017 10:24 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I like cheese. Not the stinky stuff though. Nor the soft, buttery ones that taste almost sweet.

I like it hard and salty. And do quote me on that.

I'm mostly a fan of Greek types of cheese, with feta being my favorite. I don't think it's worth mentioning any others, I guess you guys probably won't know them (halloumi perhaps?)

Halloumi is nice (but tricky) on the bbq.

REAL Greek feta (mix of goat and cow's milk) is AMAZING!
(I used to send my son to school with a feta and tomato sandwich: he got teased mercilessly, but he didn't care: it was THAT good)

What other Greek cheeses do you recommend?

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
24-08-2017, 12:59 PM
(24-08-2017 11:58 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Halloumi is nice (but tricky) on the bbq.

REAL Greek feta (mix of goat and cow's milk) is AMAZING!
(I used to send my son to school with a feta and tomato sandwich: he got teased mercilessly, but he didn't care: it was THAT good)

What other Greek cheeses do you recommend?

Teased for eating feta? That should be a crime against humanity No

Graviera

[Image: IMG_3617a-1423553980.jpg]

and kasseri

[Image: kaseri.jpg]

can be eaten plain as appetizers, that's how good they are. Both have a full taste, not too mild and not too strong. Graviera is sweeter (and some regional versions can even be spicy) and kasseri saltier with a stronger taste. They can be used anywhere you'd use a gouda-type cheese, graviera is also often grated over pasta.

Then there's kefalotyri

[Image: 1200px-Kefalotyri.jpg]

which is what we'd use instead of parmesan for pasta. Compared to the two above, it is a harder, much saltier cheese with a stronger taste and is also often served fried (it's hard enough so as not to melt and fall apart when fried).

I also recently tried galotyri for the first time and loved it.

[Image: 3925520942_2724972c10.jpg]

It tastes like feta dipped in a yogurt and milk mixture.

Finally, there's an interesting way to try feta if you'd like to try it. You get some feta that is hard (it's important that it doesn't melt easily), wrap it in some phyllo, deep fry it and then serve it with honey and sesame. It looks like this:
[Image: Feta-tiganiti-se-fyllo_20141101_0313.jpg]

I'm not one of those people who mix sweet and salty stuff, I usually hate anything like that, but this, this is a match made in heaven.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
26-08-2017, 05:36 AM
I love Gouda and Dorblu cheese
26-08-2017, 07:59 AM
(20-08-2017 07:09 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Some of us enjoy cheeses to the point of almost being snobs. Let's discuss our favorite cheeses, how we serve them, and so on.

Among my favorites are Shropshire Blue (very earthy and strong), Humboldt Fog, and various Dutch goat gouda. On the lower end, pepper jack and sharp Cheddar are great. Sharper the better.

I am definitely a caseophile. I can enjoy most cheeses but the ones I tend to like most are ewe's milk cheeses, followed by cow's milk, buffalo's milk with goat's milk last.

I managed to dig out a spreadsheet from 2009 where various members of our office cheese club rated over 150 different cheeses.

My favourites were, in descending order,
Hartington Blue Stilton
Montgomery Cheddar
Aged Hartington Blue Stilton
Beenleigh Blue
Hereford Hop
Berkswell Ewes' Milk
Colston Basset Stilton
Hartington White Stilton
Lincolnshire Poacher

The worst ones were:
Emmental Francais
Oxford Isis
Wensleydale with Cranberry
Gjetost
Auvergne
Boulette d'Avesnes
[last and very much least] Stinking Bishop

I rated Shropshire Blue above average, level with Brinkburn Goat but a notch below Quicke's Oak Smoked Cheddar.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 3 users Like Norm Deplume's post
26-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Just picked up a hunk of gouda to try for the first time. I'll report back later when I do.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
26-08-2017, 04:22 PM
(24-08-2017 10:24 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  ...I guess you guys probably won't know them (halloumi perhaps?)

Oh yes; halloumi is the current darling of the "celebrity" chefs in Australia at the moment. Personally (sorry!) I find it to be less than inspired in comparison to all the other fabulous cheeses out there. I'd call it the tofu of cheeses—and both are like eating a manilla folder... but without any taste LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.