Cheese... Fromage... Queso... Formaggio...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2017, 10:19 AM
RE: Cheese... Fromage... Queso... Formaggio...
Where i live they have something called "Handkäse". It is often served with raw onions and bread. Then it is called "Handcheese with music". I think i dont have to explain why.
[Image: 265558-960x720-mein-handkaes-mit-musik.jpg]

Another very nice variant is "Kochkäse" (cooking cheese). It is almost fluid at room temperature and is used too in connection with bread. You basically butter your bread with this cheese. Its awesome.
[Image: Cancoillotte.jpg]

Third variant is "Spundekäs". Cheese with quark, pepper, salt, paprika and onions.
[Image: 98267-960x720-mainzer-spundekaes-mit-knoblauch.jpg]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
27-08-2017, 04:27 PM
(26-08-2017 04:22 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-08-2017 10:24 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  ...I guess you guys probably won't know them (halloumi perhaps?)

Oh yes; halloumi is the current darling of the "celebrity" chefs in Australia at the moment. Personally (sorry!) I find it to be less than inspired in comparison to all the other fabulous cheeses out there. I'd call it the tofu of cheeses—and both are like eating a manilla folder... but without any taste LOL.

Noooo Ohmy
Tofu is terrible. Maybe you haven't tried real halloumi? Or tried it simply on its own (which, I admit, isn't very spectacular)?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
27-08-2017, 04:35 PM
The ones made with penicillium roqueforti are my favorites. Roqeufort itslef has to be my favorite because it really highlights the penicillium best. Smile

#sigh
27-08-2017, 04:37 PM
(20-08-2017 07:24 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I don't think I've ever tried Shropshire Blue. How hard is that to find? I don't exactly have any sources nearby above and beyond the usual Food Lion, Harris Teeter, etc. Closest Whole Foods type place is over 30 miles away. So I do get there every once in a while.

Whole Foods has it. I've gotten it at Costco before. It's like a Stilton only sharper.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Guess I didn't notice when I got it, but it's Chipotle gouda. Pretty tasty stuff.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-08-2017, 05:10 PM
(27-08-2017 04:59 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Guess I didn't notice when I got it, but it's Chipotle gouda. Pretty tasty stuff.

I normally don't like the smoky taste of Gouda, but a smoked jalapeno taste is something I'd like to try.

#sigh
27-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Yikes evenheathen. I hope you won't let that stop you from trying again. I don't like chipotle so I'm sure I would have thought it was nasty too!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
27-08-2017, 05:41 PM
(27-08-2017 05:11 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Yikes evenheathen. I hope you won't let that stop you from trying again. I don't like chipotle so I'm sure I would have thought it was nasty too!

Reread my post. Tasty, not nasty. Tongue

It has some pepper infused with it, to be honest it just tastes like cheese to me, but not bad at all.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco