Chemical Arrogance and Ignorance in the USA.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2014, 09:04 AM
RE: Chemical Arrogance and Ignorance in the USA.
(29-04-2014 09:03 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(29-04-2014 08:57 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I wish it were, but I'm with Alex on this one. I have heard the "chemicals" argument in discussion after discussion on food safety more times than I can count. It's like the go-to "thermodynamics" argument. They just spout off some nonsense that they saw in a youtube video or from some conspiracy theory site that told them that if there are any chemicals in their food, it's poison.

Yeah.
(Also the chem-trails conspiracy bugs me. It could be water.)

Not could be, IS. The chemtrails thing is one of the more idiotic conspiracy theories. Here, you have grown adults who are literally afraid of clouds... Dodgy

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
29-04-2014, 09:06 AM
(29-04-2014 09:04 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(29-04-2014 09:03 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Yeah.
(Also the chem-trails conspiracy bugs me. It could be water.)

Not could be, IS. The chemtrails thing is one of the more idiotic conspiracy theories. Here, you have grown adults who are literally afraid of clouds... Dodgy
Actually, some people think the chem trails are chemicals to reduce global warming.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
29-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Part 4:
Natural/organic
Whenever I watch TV, I always see companies scream about how their stuff is "Natural/organic" and sometimes listing the ingredients that they have, so you don't get "Big words"
You know, I think this all maybe has to do with the lead scare. (You would know about this if you watched cosmos last night.)
But enough with conspiracies.
I'm freaking tired of this nonsense. People bitching and moaning about "big words" in their foods on TV, and rarely, in the stores.
It's just sooo nonsensical. It has no use to bitch and moan about how "big words" and "chemicals" are in our foods, because they are all probably healthy, and chemicals make up everything.
It's just stupid.

[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
29-04-2014, 09:12 AM
(29-04-2014 09:06 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(29-04-2014 09:04 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Not could be, IS. The chemtrails thing is one of the more idiotic conspiracy theories. Here, you have grown adults who are literally afraid of clouds... Dodgy
Actually, some people think the chem trails are chemicals to reduce global warming.

Those people are idiots too. It is a completely understood process and there is absolutely zero mystery as to why they form. And they're called contrails, not chemtrails.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
29-04-2014, 09:13 AM
(29-04-2014 09:12 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(29-04-2014 09:06 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Actually, some people think the chem trails are chemicals to reduce global warming.

Those people are idiots too. It is a completely understood process and there is absolutely zero mystery as to why they form. And they're called contrails, not chemtrails.

Yeah, I know.
It's just the conspiracy name for it, so I can be specific.

[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
29-04-2014, 09:23 AM
There are two clear meanings of the word chemical
1: Every substance in the universe
2: Artificial or artificially manufactured substances.

When people mean chemicals in a bad way they usually refer to the second one, not the technical one. It does cause more confusion than it should though.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
29-04-2014, 09:28 AM
(29-04-2014 09:23 AM)nach_in Wrote:  There are two clear meanings of the word chemical

When people mean chemicals in a bad way they usually refer to the second one, not the technical one. It does cause more confusion than it should though.

The thing is, the second one shouldn't exist.

[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
29-04-2014, 10:07 AM
(29-04-2014 09:23 AM)nach_in Wrote:  There are two clear meanings of the word chemical

... or
1. Active ingredients as found in nature
2. Active ingredients with all the unpredictable and potentially dangerous bits taken out, refined and certified as to quality and effects

... or
1. Active ingredients our species has been exposed to for long period during its evolution
2. Active ingredients that our species has not been exposed to for a long period during its evolution (which necessarily includes a lot of "natural" "organic" content also)

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
29-04-2014, 11:25 AM
(29-04-2014 09:28 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  

The thing is, the second one shouldn't exist.

The word should be a different one indeed. The meaning is useful though

(29-04-2014 10:07 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  

... or
1. Active ingredients as found in nature
2. Active ingredients with all the unpredictable and potentially dangerous bits taken out, refined and certified as to quality and effects

... or
1. Active ingredients our species has been exposed to for long period during its evolution
2. Active ingredients that our species has not been exposed to for a long period during its evolution (which necessarily includes a lot of "natural" "organic" content also)

As if vulgar understanding of chemistry could be that detailed Laugh out load

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
29-04-2014, 11:30 AM
As a chemist I get exactly what you are saying. On the other hand, big words are use alot to make something sound cool and really advanced, as in beauty product commercials. I always see shampoo companies pithcing the product as "pH balanced" or "contains reinforced active fruit juice concentrate". Since most folks have no clue what is being said, they think it means "greatest high-tech stuff".

I blame the media for scaring the public on chemicals that surround us every day.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —