Chemical Free and GMO free

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Chemical Free and GMO free
I see a lot of claims that certain products are Chemical Free or GMO free. How is this even remotely possible? Since we are chemicals, the air we breathe is a chemical, the food we eat are chemicals which are broken down by other chemicals and made into new chemicals.

How can anything be GMO free since literally all food is - at least in some form - a GMO. The wine you are drinking? Yeah, those vines were probably grafted together to make new grapes. That seedless watermelon you ate? Yeah...those don't happen in the wild. There are no wild cows, raspberries don't grow that large in the wild (organic raspberries are 10 times the size of wild raspberries), and new fruits Plumcots, pluots, grapples and other foods that are a combination of other fruits.

I seem to get a blank stare when I try to explain this to an anti-GMO or anti-chemical person. Anyone have any ideas?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2014, 01:42 PM
RE: Chemical Free and GMO free
(01-08-2014 01:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I see a lot of claims that certain products are Chemical Free or GMO free. How is this even remotely possible? Since we are chemicals, the air we breathe is a chemical, the food we eat are chemicals which are broken down by other chemicals and made into new chemicals.

How can anything be GMO free since literally all food is - at least in some form - a GMO. The wine you are drinking? Yeah, those vines were probably grafted together to make new grapes. That seedless watermelon you ate? Yeah...those don't happen in the wild. There are no wild cows, raspberries don't grow that large in the wild (organic raspberries are 10 times the size of wild raspberries), and new fruits Plumcots, pluots, grapples and other foods that are a combination of other fruits.

I seem to get a blank stare when I try to explain this to an anti-GMO or anti-chemical person. Anyone have any ideas?

Like organic and gluten free these are Non-regulated terms. You can slap them on anything because they mean nothing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
01-08-2014, 01:44 PM
(01-08-2014 01:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 01:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I see a lot of claims that certain products are Chemical Free or GMO free. How is this even remotely possible? Since we are chemicals, the air we breathe is a chemical, the food we eat are chemicals which are broken down by other chemicals and made into new chemicals.

Like organic and gluten free these are Non-regulated terms. You can slap them on anything because they mean nothing.

"GMO" in particular is literally impossible to define coherently and enforce meaningfully.
("chemical free" is too stupid to consider)

Although, naturally, food labelling in the USA is much more lax than the likes of Canada or the EU.

... this is my signature!
01-08-2014, 01:45 PM
(01-08-2014 01:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I seem to get a blank stare when I try to explain this to an anti-GMO or anti-chemical person. Anyone have any ideas?

I think all you can do is ask them for definitions.

You can go ahead and point out the flaws in those definitions, but if they don't want to change their mind, they won't listen.

... this is my signature!
01-08-2014, 01:47 PM
(01-08-2014 01:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

I have celiac's disease. I find it so comical that the bandwagon morons who went all gluten free have no idea what gluten even is. http://www.takepart.com/video/2014/05/07/defense-gluten

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 4 users Like Cathym112's post
01-08-2014, 07:28 PM
(01-08-2014 01:47 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I have celiac's disease. I find it so comical that the bandwagon morons who went all gluten free have no idea what gluten even is. http://www.takepart.com/video/2014/05/07/defense-gluten

I believe that is 'celiac disease'. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2014, 07:32 PM
(01-08-2014 07:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 01:47 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I have celiac's disease. I find it so comical that the bandwagon morons who went all gluten free have no idea what gluten even is. http://www.takepart.com/video/2014/05/07/defense-gluten

I believe that is 'celiac disease'. Consider

Don't give me shit, chas. Yes, it's celiac. Also spelled celiacs and coeliac. All interchangeably.

01-08-2014, 07:41 PM
(01-08-2014 01:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Like organic and gluten free these are Non-regulated terms. You can slap them on anything because they mean nothing.

Organic is quite regulated.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/OAP/OAPGuide1.shtml

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-08-2014, 07:42 PM
(01-08-2014 07:32 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 07:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  I believe that is 'celiac disease'. Consider

Don't give me shit, chas. Yes, it's celiac. Also spelled celiacs and coeliac. All interchangeably.

Yabut, definitely no apostrophe. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-08-2014, 08:05 PM
(01-08-2014 07:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 01:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Like organic and gluten free these are Non-regulated terms. You can slap them on anything because they mean nothing.

Organic is quite regulated.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/OAP/OAPGuide1.shtml

No the term itself is not. There are bodies that give seals but Organic is not in anyway regulated.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense