Chemical used by Pepsi causes brain damage and a general rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Chemical used by Pepsi causes brain damage and a general rant
Here's the yahoo news story.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/drink-ingr...24835.html

I realize that basically everything they put in soda is harmful, but this specific one (brominated vegetable oil) is completely unnecessary (keeps flavor evenly distributed so you don't have to shake the drink) and has been proven to cause neurological disorders and altered thyroid alterations. Allow me to itemize all the parts of the article that piss me off.

Jeff Dahncke, a spokesman for PepsiCo, noted that brominated vegetable oil had been deemed safe for consumption by federal regulators. “As standard practice, we constantly evaluate our formulas and ingredients to ensure they comply with federal regulations and meet the high quality standards our consumers and athletes expect — from functionality to great taste,” he said in an e-mail.

-When confronted about obviously unsafe chemical used in products, food and beverage companies always use the same dismissive tone that leads me to believe that the FDA is in their pocket. They know their product harms you and they don't care, as long as you are stupid enough to pay for it. The spokesman turned the question into a free airtime advertisement, "It's great taste is what athletes crave!" (Channeling Idiocracy) "Brawndo has got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!"

In fact, about 10 percent of drinks sold in the United States contain brominated vegetable oil, including Mountain Dew, also made by PepsiCo; Powerade, Fanta Orange and Fresca from Coca-Cola; and Squirt and Sunkist Peach Soda, made by the Dr Pepper Snapple Group.

Use of the substance in the United States has been debated for more than three decades, so Ms. Kavanagh’s campaign most likely is quixotic. But the European Union has long banned the substance from foods, requiring use of other ingredients. Japan recently moved to do the same.

“B.V.O. is banned other places in the world, so these companies already have a replacement for it,” Ms. Kavanagh said. “I don’t see why they don’t just make the switch.” To that, companies say the switch would be too costly.

-A healthier replacement already exists and is utilized in the rest of the world, but "it would be too costly" for Pepsi to switch to it. Pepsi... a company that makes 43 billion annually... can't afford to change one chemical in their soft drinks. Oh man, it's just SO costly. I bet if the replacement chemical cost twice as much but made the drink taste better, they'd find the funds in their tightly strapped budget.

Brominated vegetable oil contains bromine, the element found in brominated flame retardants, used in things like upholstered furniture and children’s products. Research has found brominate flame retardants building up in the body and breast milk, and animal and some human studies have linked them to neurological impairment, reduced fertility, changes in thyroid hormones and puberty at an earlier age.

Limited studies of the effects of brominated vegetable oil in animals and in humans found buildups of bromine in fatty tissues. Rats that ingested large quantities of the substance in their diets developed heart lesions.

-So it's clearly bad for you. How can it be approved by the FDA then?

The second exemption created what Tom Neltner, director of the Pew Charitable Trusts’ food additives project, a three-year investigation into how food additives are regulated, calls “the loophole that swallowed the law.” A company can create a new additive, publish safety data about it on its Web site and pay a law firm or consulting firm to vet it to establish it as “generally recognized as safe” — without ever notifying the F.D.A., Mr. Neltner said.

-Oh that's how. You can legally bypass the FDA if you pay the right people.

The rest of the article goes on to say how brominated vegetable oil was recognized as unsafe in the 1970's but that the FDA didn't deem the issue "worth spending its limited resources on."

Big companies seem to answer to no one in this country. You can plaster your product with "organic and all natural health food" labels when you're selling rat poison and cancer in a bottle. And the byproduct is this "mysterious" increase in obesity percentages. (Confused face) "Wha... what's causing it? Is it weed? Gay marriage? I don't understand."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
13-12-2012, 05:44 PM
RE: Chemical used by Pepsi causes brain damage and a general rant
I had to check, several times, to make sure this wasn't a post by I and I. Not saying it's a baseless tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, but really? You really think that a company with hundreds of employees who know exactly what chemicals go into their product simply pays off the ENTIRE Food and Drug Administration, and nobody at Pepsi and nobody at the FDA ever says a word?

I'm not saying Pepsi is a health drink. I'm not saying BMO is safe to consume. I don't know jack about this BVO. Maybe it really is a harmful substance that should be banned. But I'm pretty sure it's your tinfoil hat talking if you think Pepsi is sitting around, knowingly and deliberately pouring deadly chemicals into their drink and bribing federal regulators to keep looking the other way for 4 decades and nobody, not one person, ever, has said anything about these bribes or Pepsi's knowing complicity in poisoning the population of the world?

It's just silly. The world doesn't work that way.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
13-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Please cite the study. Not saying the study doesn't exist, but there's one critical piece of information missing: what was the dose? How many mg of brominated vegetable oil was administered to test subjects, versus how many mg of BVO are in a can of Pepsi?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
13-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Umm... how do you think big tobacco works?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
13-12-2012, 06:01 PM
The does of BVO in soda is much lower than the doses they use in studies, which is why it was originally labelled "safe." But then they discovered that BVO accumulates in your heart, liver, and fat tissue... combined with the fact that people drink tons more soda than when the study was first done (decades ago).

"After a few extreme soda binges — not too far from what many video gamers regularly consume – a few patients have needed medical attention for skin lesions, memory loss and nerve disorders, all symptoms of overexposure to bromine,” according to a recent article in Environmental News."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/...n-dew-yep/

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
15-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Good thing I drink nothing but water (assuming that this story is legit).

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]