Chemicals in the Brain and Truth.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 04:51 PM
RE: Chemicals in the Brain and Truth.
(27-09-2015 08:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And I'm out. I think I've lost sight of what you are trying to achieve with this. I've certainly lost interest.

I gave up a while ago.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2015, 05:11 PM
(28-09-2015 04:38 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perhaps next time I'm in a heated argument with my wife, we can refer to logical calculus to figure out whose to blame for the fight.
The key to success in every marriage is a simple two words.

"Yes dear"
28-09-2015, 05:17 PM
(28-09-2015 02:08 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 01:09 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Fuck you're stupid. Facepalm

And you're just a disgruntled son of bitch, but hey we manage.

Much of what you stated there and in various other statements would only be true if people were believing definitively what they believe and casually say they know is something they think they absolutely know for certain.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-09-2015, 05:38 PM
(28-09-2015 04:38 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Are you explaining our predisposed thought process

No.

Read my posts. Stop going off on tangents.

(28-09-2015 04:38 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Economic systems, are modeled off of human behavior. Economist are not in the business of getting consumers to think differently, than they're in the business of creating models that corresponds to their predisposed behavior. Of course the predicative capacities of the model are rarely ever as good as they hoped. And fail more routinely than they succeed.

What in the actual hell are you on about here?

You don't understand the posts you are responding to. I very much doubt that you even understand your own position at this point. All you do is post nonsensical gibberish that has nothing to do with the points raised.

Try organizing your thoughts before responding. Dealing with this incoherent mess isn't worth anyone's time.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
28-09-2015, 06:33 PM
(28-09-2015 05:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 04:38 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perhaps next time I'm in a heated argument with my wife, we can refer to logical calculus to figure out whose to blame for the fight.
The key to success in every marriage is a simple two words.

"Yes dear"

But you also learn a lot from fighting with your wife, and a lot of cold nights on the sofa to think about it.

When I'm angry and we're fighting, I tend to be at my creative best, composing these tightly woven arguments, pointing a variety of factors in support of it, that would make any defense lawyer proud. Sometimes I'm surprised by how well I composed them. My wife cannot argue with them, sometimes she even believes them, but most of the time she knows the truth, which I often don't, that I'm just manipulating her.

Reason, logic, and evidence are all on my side, but I'm the one lying. And she's the one seeing through the veil of my own tightly formed bullshit.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
28-09-2015, 06:43 PM
[Image: 34e43ef0a9391bf1f25ddb0497a7abae.jpg]

[Image: b7c1d62cf663dc0ff053275f30f58775.jpg]

[Image: e7a4a9d50335f97df7fb28ea13cf8947.jpg]

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
28-09-2015, 06:45 PM
[Image: 781df106974c21834e6f541e27e38efd.jpg]

-Rick
28-09-2015, 07:18 PM
In contrast to the set of silly memes:

"We need to make a distinction between the claim that the world is out there and the claim that truth is out there. To say that the world is out there, that it is not our creation, is to say, with common sense, that most things in space and time are the effects of causes which do not include human mental states.To say that truth is not out there is simply to say that where there are no sentences there is no truth, that sentences are elements of human languages,and that human Languages are human creations.
Truth cannot be out there - cannot exist independently of the human mind - because sentences cannot so exist, or be out there. The world is out there, but descriptions of the world are not. Only descriptions of the world can be true or false. The world on its own - unaided by the describing activities of human beings - cannot.

The suggestion that truth, as well as the world, is out there is a legacy of an age in which the world was seen as the creation of a being who had a language of his own. If we cease to attempt to make sense of the idea of such a nonhuman language, we shall not be tempted to confuse the platitude that the world may cause us to be justified in believing a sentence true with the claim that the world splits itself up, on its own initiative, into sentence-shaped chunks called "facts." But if one clings to the notion of self-subsistent facts, it is easy to start capitalizing the word "truth" and treating it as something identical either with God or with the world as God's project. Then one will say, for example, that Truth is great, and will prevail."

-Rorty, Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
28-09-2015, 07:20 PM
No one here cares about theistic bullshit. How have you not gotten that message yet?

-Rick
28-09-2015, 07:22 PM
(28-09-2015 07:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  In contrast to the set of silly memes:

"We need to make a distinction between the claim that the world is out there and the claim that truth is out there. To say that the world is out there, that it is not our creation, is to say, with common sense, that most things in space and time are the effects of causes which do not include human mental states.To say that truth is not out there is simply to say that where there are no sentences there is no truth, that sentences are elements of human languages,and that human Languages are human creations.
Truth cannot be out there - cannot exist independently of the human mind - because sentences cannot so exist, or be out there. The world is out there, but descriptions of the world are not. Only descriptions of the world can be true or false. The world on its own - unaided by the describing activities of human beings - cannot.

The suggestion that truth, as well as the world, is out there is a legacy of an age in which the world was seen as the creation of a being who had a language of his own. If we cease to attempt to make sense of the idea of such a nonhuman language, we shall not be tempted to confuse the platitude that the world may cause us to be justified in believing a sentence true with the claim that the world splits itself up, on its own initiative, into sentence-shaped chunks called "facts." But if one clings to the notion of self-subsistent facts, it is easy to start capitalizing the word "truth" and treating it as something identical either with God or with the world as God's project. Then one will say, for example, that Truth is great, and will prevail."

-Rorty, Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity.

That's wonderful.

Do you have an actual point yet?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner