Chemicals in the Brain and Truth.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2015, 08:58 AM
RE: Chemicals in the Brain and Truth.
(30-09-2015 08:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 08:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Your "analogies" are all over the place and nonsensical. What is your point? What profound "truth" do you think you're expressing?

I'm not expressing any profound truth, just an obvious one. Connecting the dots of your own narrative.

Cleary you think there are operative difference between religious and non-religious minds, between religious and atheists brain such as yours. Those who hold religious or supernatural beliefs are brainwashed. While those that are not would be atheists. You already drew a distinction between how you believe your brain operates, and how a religious persons does. While you hold these beliefs as accurate, they've never really constructed beyond any superficial level. That's my interest, that if it were true what would it mean.

If something like this belief of yours is true, what is it saying about reality and our brains in general? Would it imply that non-brainwashed brains are receptive to acknowledging reality as it truly is, particularly given the resources and knowledge we have currently? That this trajectory is to some degree guaranteed if it weren't for religious brainwashing?

You are a fucking moron, but you are not a clairvoyant. "Clearly you think there are operative differences between religious and non-religious minds,..." <- No, no I fucking don't. I don't think ANYONE has expressed that opinion. There are differences in the way in which brains operate that are unhealthy (i.e. mental health issues such as schizophrenia or depression, etc).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2015, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2015 09:03 AM by Tomasia.)
(30-09-2015 08:58 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 08:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm not expressing any profound truth, just an obvious one. Connecting the dots of your own narrative.

Cleary you think there are operative difference between religious and non-religious minds, between religious and atheists brain such as yours. Those who hold religious or supernatural beliefs are brainwashed. While those that are not would be atheists. You already drew a distinction between how you believe your brain operates, and how a religious persons does. While you hold these beliefs as accurate, they've never really constructed beyond any superficial level. That's my interest, that if it were true what would it mean.

If something like this belief of yours is true, what is it saying about reality and our brains in general? Would it imply that non-brainwashed brains are receptive to acknowledging reality as it truly is, particularly given the resources and knowledge we have currently? That this trajectory is to some degree guaranteed if it weren't for religious brainwashing?

You are a fucking moron, but you are not a clairvoyant. "Clearly you think there are operative differences between religious and non-religious minds,..." <- No, no I fucking don't. I don't think ANYONE has expressed that opinion. There are differences in the way in which brains operate that are unhealthy (i.e. mental health issues such as schizophrenia or depression, etc).

You think those who subscribe to religious and supernatural beliefs are brainwashed, and clearly you don't think you're brainwashed right?

To quote you: "Or in your case, be brainwashed. "Critical thinking" and "rational thinking" are observations and conclusions and beliefs that are congruent with reality and it is what those of us do when confronted with reality if we aren't brainwashed by supernatural and superstitious BS"

You also seem to believe absent of this brainwashing, we'd be able to thinking rationally and critically and have the capacities to recognize reality for what it truly is.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
30-09-2015, 09:02 AM
(30-09-2015 08:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If something like this belief of yours is true...

Ah! I think I see the problem here. What you call "this belief of [his]" is, apparently, a thing you just made up.

No, I'm not sure what you expect to achieve by misattributing fantasies either.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
30-09-2015, 09:06 AM
(30-09-2015 09:02 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 08:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If something like this belief of yours is true...

Ah! I think I see the problem here. What you call "this belief of [his]" is, apparently, a thing you just made up.

Do you consider those who subscribe to religious and supernatural beliefs as being brainwashed, as theBeardedGuy does?

If so, do you believe you're brainwashed?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
30-09-2015, 09:15 AM
A common narrative on parade here, is one in which an atheist sees his abstract conception of reality, as a true and faithful representation of reality. And the only reason that other minds are not able to recognize this, is because they're brainwashed etc... preventing them from drawing this conclusion themselves.

The accuracy of this belief has a variety of implications if it's true, it's also likely more so to be fantasy than the truth here.

30-09-2015, 09:17 AM
(30-09-2015 09:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 09:02 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Ah! I think I see the problem here. What you call "this belief of [his]" is, apparently, a thing you just made up.

Do you consider those who subscribe to religious and supernatural beliefs as being brainwashed, as theBeardedGuy does?

Hint: that isn't what he said.

Seriously, now. He just told you that. I'm not sure what you hope to gain by asking people if they believe a straw man after it's been pointed out to you that you're flogging a straw man.

Differences in opinion and education do not indicate differences in brain functionality.
(or if they do, then no two brains "function" in the same manner - cut out the equivocation and it might just be possible to have a conversation)

(30-09-2015 09:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If so, do you believe you're brainwashed?

Not particularly. Though, naturally, no one actively thinks of themselves as misled.

Do you have a point?

30-09-2015, 09:19 AM
(30-09-2015 06:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  By realized you just mean drawn out. You can surely write out an algorithms on a piece of paper, if you passed it along to someone not familiar with it would look no different than those long meaningless formulas sketched out on blackboards in comedic movies.

Recognition of what these symbols on paper mean, the computation of those symbols, etc...are all reducible to the hardware. And in this case not the pencil and paper, but the brain doing these computations.

No. Again, you do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Algorithms are processes. Running is not reducible to a pair of legs. It is the actions taken which matter.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
30-09-2015, 09:19 AM
(30-09-2015 09:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A common narrative on parade here, is one in which an atheist sees his abstract conception of reality, as a true and faithful representation of reality. And the only reason that other minds are not able to recognize this, is because they're brainwashed etc... preventing them from drawing this conclusion themselves.

You could at least try to present others' opinions honestly.

30-09-2015, 09:47 AM
(30-09-2015 09:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 08:58 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You are a fucking moron, but you are not a clairvoyant. "Clearly you think there are operative differences between religious and non-religious minds,..." <- No, no I fucking don't. I don't think ANYONE has expressed that opinion. There are differences in the way in which brains operate that are unhealthy (i.e. mental health issues such as schizophrenia or depression, etc).

You think those who subscribe to religious and supernatural beliefs are brainwashed, and clearly you don't think you're brainwashed right?

To quote you: "Or in your case, be brainwashed. "Critical thinking" and "rational thinking" are observations and conclusions and beliefs that are congruent with reality and it is what those of us do when confronted with reality if we aren't brainwashed by supernatural and superstitious BS"

You also seem to believe absent of this brainwashing, we'd be able to thinking rationally and critically and have the capacities to recognize reality for what it truly is.

Once again, another example of you being EXPLICITLY told you are presenting a straw man, that you continue to ignore.

You are either wholly dishonest, or a fucking moron.

Or both Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
30-09-2015, 10:01 AM
(30-09-2015 06:40 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Where the software is irreducible?

Software is reducible to symbols. Symbols are independent of any hardware. Algorithms exist without hardware.

(30-09-2015 06:40 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You already know that’s it not.

You obviously don't..

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post