Cherry Picking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbPw-Wji8i4
So TTA what do you think 9f this video?

Don't Believe the Hype
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2017, 08:14 PM
RE: Cherry Picking
(06-09-2017 08:06 PM)Walluin Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbPw-Wji8i4
So TTA what do you think 9f this video?

Too long. I only watched the first few minutes. The video maker's understanding of how covenants work differs from my understanding, so I figured I wasn't going to get much out of the video anyway.
06-09-2017, 08:35 PM
I generally want the person who posts the link to take a second to describe something about it. Whatever it is, why should I care more than he/she does?
[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
06-09-2017, 08:43 PM
A short video of me and my dad picking cherries at the farm

Don't Believe the Hype
06-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Okay thank you.
06-09-2017, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2017 10:07 PM by Bucky Ball.)
A childish pile of crap.
The original "covenant" (with the Hebrews) was they agreed to worship the Babylonian war deity (Yahweh), and his wife/consort. two of many gods, if he helped them in their battles.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-09-2017, 10:02 PM
(06-09-2017 08:06 PM)Walluin Wrote:  ...
So TTA what do you think [o]f this video?

Not so much cherry picking but clutching at straws... trying to keep Divinity Ethics relevant in a world that no longer requires it.

He is arguing for covenant-governance (which, despite his claim, does not originate with christianity or Judaism) which aligns to Community Ethics but fails to address the morality-question so will not sway anyone aligned to Autonomy Ethics. Nor will his argument sway anyone aligned to Community Ethics who regards governance as a nuanced framework rather than a mechanism for unwavering compliance or who has rejected god(s) on an existential basis.

Definitions here.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Cherry Picking
The video was self-justifying crapola. The smug child failed to notice his own contradictions. This is typical of the True Believer who gives the imaginary deity all the credit and none of the blame.

He states that the Magna Carta was founded on biblical principles but fails to mention exactly what principles he alleges were the basis of the Magna Carta and by extension, the western rule of law. Almost immediately thereafter he thinks that the imaginary god isn’t responsible for the law Magda finds so objectionable even though he just said that the vague “biblical principles” formed the basis of the rule of law.

In short, the kid isn’t as deep a thinker as he thinks he is. He should also look interesting why contracts can’t be renegotiated unilaterally. Finally, he gives more weight to the writings of Paul than the sayings of the mythical Jesus. Since Jesus never gave any public statements on homosexuality, thus according to the kid’s “thinking,” he either didn’t care or the Prince of Peace was ok with homosexuals being put to death. Personally, I favor the former over the latter since if the Jesus as depicted in the gospel fables actually existed, he was most likely a homosexual himself.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
07-09-2017, 08:29 AM
(07-09-2017 07:38 AM)Rachel Wrote:  He states that the Magna Carta was founded on biblical principles but fails to mention exactly what principles he alleges were the basis of the Magna Carta and by extension, the western rule of law.

Interestingly, for hundreds of years before the Magna Carta, Christians were quite content with upholding that the divine rights of kings were in accordance with scriptures.

Their historically documented shifting positions paint them as opportunists, not as people who possessed the absolute truth from the get-go.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
07-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Cherry Picking
(07-09-2017 08:29 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 07:38 AM)Rachel Wrote:  He states that the Magna Carta was founded on biblical principles but fails to mention exactly what principles he alleges were the basis of the Magna Carta and by extension, the western rule of law.

Interestingly, for hundreds of years before the Magna Carta, Christians were quite content with upholding that the divine rights of kings were in accordance with scriptures.

Their historically documented shifting positions paint them as opportunists, not as people who possessed the absolute truth from the get-go.

It’s interesting to me that Christians in the 19th century used the Bible to support slavery and to support the abolition of slavery. How could they both be right?
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post