Cherry Picking the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 11:41 AM
RE: Cherry Picking the Bible
(10-01-2017 11:33 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 11:23 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  If we for a sec consider that the Bible is true.. Then the book itself has fallen prey to
the oldest known killer of credibility : Oral Tradition

It's like, in essence, a game of Chinese Whispers, a set of teachings get handed down orally over thousands of years and then written down.. There will be a ton of discrepancies.

Chances are, it won't even resemble the original at all.

Yes, most definitely

Oh no. He's here - God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2017, 05:20 PM
Cherry picking the Bible, because ignoring the unicorns is so much easier than explaining them. Need we say more?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
12-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Contradiction on punishment:

The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father. - Ezekiel 18:20

for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me - Exodus 20:5

- C

Oh no. He's here - God
12-01-2017, 01:06 PM
(10-01-2017 04:03 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  what are the teachings of God?

I read the Bible as a young kid and all I got was 66 different books telling me hundreds of different things

The annoying thing with the Bible is that you can "cherry-pick" passages to argue opposite points

e.g. Luke 10:27, personally not bothered by the first half, the more famous 2nd half however, is used to argue both for & against EUTHANASIA

Luke 10:27 - ‘Love your neighbor as yourself'. Sounds easy enough.. But if you apply that teaching to the concept of euthanasia, you get 2 conflicting points on the SAME theme

1. Compassion , if you know a terminally ill person who is suffering immensely, it would be more compassionate to help end such needless agony

2. Compassion, if you know a terminally ill person who is suffering immensely, a compassionate person would attempt to improve the terminally ill person's quality of life and encourage them to live on..

Nice one, Bible Facepalm

So.. in short.. the Bible itself is not perfect, it is a HUMAN account and did not arrive by fax from heaven.. The whole point of the Bible is to create new believers
which is why there are miracles and other things in there.

If you've noticed any other "cherry-picking" passages in the Bible, note them down please in the comments section

The word "bible" comes from "Ta Biblia". The books.
It's a collection.
It was compiled, edited, re-edited over centuries.
One would not expect it to be consistent, (unless one had the ignorant fundie view that it supposedly came from one author.)
It's ancient "mythological" literature. Maybe we could talk like adults for at least 5 minutes.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-01-2017, 04:32 PM
(12-01-2017 01:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One would not expect [the Bible] to be consistent, (unless one had the ignorant fundie view that it supposedly came from one author.)
That would not to my knowledge be an official fundamentalist position. We were always careful to make the distinction between the authors and to acknowledge their different styles and perspectives, because after all, it provided a little cover from / explanation for some of the inconsistencies. Of course we regarded it all as inspired by god, but the concept of inspiration was a little slippery and it was always pointed out that it wasn't a case of automatic writing or something. The authors were more loosely moved by the spirit of god to write stuff that somehow magically was inerrant anyway, but you could still see their individual style and even biases (even we could see that Paul was rather a mysogynist for instance).

I could see the Bible having a single author as being an ignorant position of an individual fundamentalist who don't understand their own theology, of course. And I suppose it could be something from the fringe of fundamentalism (now there's a scary concept).
13-01-2017, 11:08 AM
(12-01-2017 01:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 04:03 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  what are the teachings of God?

I read the Bible as a young kid and all I got was 66 different books telling me hundreds of different things

The annoying thing with the Bible is that you can "cherry-pick" passages to argue opposite points

e.g. Luke 10:27, personally not bothered by the first half, the more famous 2nd half however, is used to argue both for & against EUTHANASIA

Luke 10:27 - ‘Love your neighbor as yourself'. Sounds easy enough.. But if you apply that teaching to the concept of euthanasia, you get 2 conflicting points on the SAME theme

1. Compassion , if you know a terminally ill person who is suffering immensely, it would be more compassionate to help end such needless agony

2. Compassion, if you know a terminally ill person who is suffering immensely, a compassionate person would attempt to improve the terminally ill person's quality of life and encourage them to live on..

Nice one, Bible Facepalm

So.. in short.. the Bible itself is not perfect, it is a HUMAN account and did not arrive by fax from heaven.. The whole point of the Bible is to create new believers
which is why there are miracles and other things in there.

If you've noticed any other "cherry-picking" passages in the Bible, note them down please in the comments section

The word "bible" comes from "Ta Biblia". The books.
It's a collection.
It was compiled, edited, re-edited over centuries.
One would not expect it to be consistent, (unless one had the ignorant fundie view that it supposedly came from one author.)
It's ancient "mythological" literature. Maybe we could talk like adults for at least 5 minutes.

Even though everyone knows that the Bible is not the work of one author, if it is trying to convince people about God and Jesus, you'd at least expect some consistency in the teachings it espouses, not for it to say one thing, then a few books later, say the complete opposite, which it does.

Oh no. He's here - God
13-01-2017, 11:23 AM
(10-01-2017 04:03 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  What are the teachings of God?

I read the Bible as a young kid and all I got was 66 different books telling me hundreds of different things. [...]

There are no "teachings" of the Christian god. It doesn't exist.

I long ago gave up wasting my time contemplating the thousands of self-contradictions in the bible. I'd advise you to do the same; ultimately, it's a pointless exercise. Hopefully I've saved you 50 years' worth of wasted brain cells LOL.

Check this out: http://www.answering-christianity.com/10...ctions.htm

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
14-01-2017, 07:16 AM
(13-01-2017 11:23 AM)SYZ Wrote:  

I read the Bible as a young kid and all I got was 66 different books telling me hundreds of different things. [...]

I long ago gave up wasting my time contemplating the thousands of self-contradictions in the bible. I'd advise you to do the same; ultimately, it's a pointless exercise. Hopefully I've saved you 50 years' worth of wasted brain cells LOL.

That list pointed out something I didn't realize about the Moses myth, Moses turned the Nile to blood and the Pharaoh's magicians did too, how do you reblood the Nile after it was turned to blood the first time?

Exodus repeats this mistake in the next chapter where Moses gives Egypt a plague of frogs. Pharaoh's magicians refrog Egypt, after it's been overrun with frogs.

So apparently god is just trolling Pharaoh, god bloody-ups the Nile, clears it up, then Pharaoh's magicians re-bloodify it and then god clears it up again? Facepalm

Same thing with the frogs.

How freakin' stupid! Why would the magicians reblood the Nile and refrog Egypt?

The priests that made up the fairy tale, couldn't even make the story consistent. Facepalm

It would have made the story much more consistent if the magicians cleared up the Nile of blood and unfrogged Egypt. That would have made the idea of Pharaoh changing his mind much more believable.

They're not even very good myth builders, you think they would have saw how weird it was to have the magicians serving Pharaoh damaging Egypt with their magic tricks too, the story breaks character for the magicians as well as knotting up the whole plague routine by implying that god is trolling Pharaoh by throwing a plague at them, yanking it back, and then allowing other gods to replague Egypt then yanking it back after the second time! Facepalm

Why the hell did I ever believe this crap? Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
14-01-2017, 07:30 AM
(13-01-2017 11:23 AM)SYZ Wrote:  

Thanks for the link SYZ

Oh no. He's here - God
14-01-2017, 08:08 AM
(13-01-2017 11:08 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Even though everyone knows that the Bible is not the work of one author, if it is trying to convince people about God and Jesus, you'd at least expect some consistency in the teachings it espouses, not for it to say one thing, then a few books later, say the complete opposite, which it does.

Point me to 2 Biblical scholars that say the function of the Bible is to "convince people about God and Jesus".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.