Chess League.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2012, 11:10 AM
RE: Chess League.
also, beat bemore and Erx is about to fall.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2012, 11:47 AM
(10-08-2012 11:09 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  AI can easily beat humans in shorter games but when it's much longer games humans beat out AI.
Except Kasparov who lost to Deep Blue that one time, but I believe he complained that the makers were updating the system as he was playing it, or at least that's what he claimed.
It was best out of 5 games I believe and it won overall however.

The problem you have is sure you can predict many moves ahead, but there are always so many moves you can never be 100% of what your opposition will play. And so you can move one piece in anticipation of your opposition moving a certain way, but if your opposition moves another way then your move before theirs may not be the best pre-curser to what they just moved.
So until AI can predict the future there will always be that human element that will stump the AI.
That's the beauty of chess, one move is not 100% the best move 100% of the time.

Deep Blue is ancient history. The problem space of chess has mostly been mapped out.

My computer assisted with a database and efficient algorithms can outperform deep blue by far.

If you look at the wiki I linked Strong Superhuman means "performs better than all humans"
We are almost there with chess if we aren't there already. Computers are only getting better.

Quote:Deep Blue, with its capability of evaluating 200 million positions per second, was the fastest computer that ever faced a world chess champion. Today, in computer chess research and matches of world class players against computers, the focus of play has often shifted to software chess programs, rather than using dedicated chess hardware.

Modern chess programs like Rybka, Deep Fritz or Deep Junior are more efficient than the programs during Deep Blue's era. In a recent match, Deep Fritz vs. world chess champion Vladimir Kramnik in November 2006, the program ran on a personal computer containing two Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs, capable of evaluating only 8 million positions per second, but searching to an average depth of 17 to 18 plies in the middlegame thanks to heuristics.

I have a 4 core I7 with hyperthreading. Maybe you want to have Deep Fritz come and join your tournament!
I'd be happy to arrange it. Wink

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
13-08-2012, 08:08 AM
i'll join in eventually

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
15-08-2012, 03:34 AM
So somehow Erx has started making good moves.
Not saying he's cheating, though not not saying that either... :thinkingface:

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Fritz lets you set the board in a certain state and have the computer play as either white or black Big Grin

Maybe he got an idea from something I posted... Tongue

15-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Wouldn't be surprised. Shifty bastard. Dodgy

16-08-2012, 12:51 AM
I just got the Houdini chess engine running.

Quote:Houdini is currently used by chess world champion Viswanathan Anand and when GM Peter Svidler was asked which one player he would choose to represent Earth in a hypothetical match against aliens, he answered "Houdini".

According to the author: "The name Houdini was chosen because of the engine's positional style, its tenacity in difficult positions and its ability to defend stubbornly and escape with a draw – sometimes by the narrowest of margins. On the other hand Houdini will often use razor-sharp tactics to deny its opponents escape routes when it has the better position".

Are you using endgame tablebases?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablebases

Quote:Tablebases have solved chess for every position with six or fewer pieces (including the two kings). The solutions have profoundly advanced the chess community's understanding of endgame theory. Some positions which humans had analyzed as draws were proved to be winnable; the tablebase analysis could find a mate in more than a hundred moves, far beyond the horizon of humans, and beyond the capability of a computer during play.

16-08-2012, 04:40 AM
Gezz.

They're really taking the fun out of chess aren't they. Tongue

Nah I don't use anything, never have. Haven't even read a single chess book. Just play lots of games and learn from your mistakes.

16-08-2012, 05:52 AM
My time shall come.... It shall come....

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
18-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Hey, BeLess,
Now that you're not on the ganj, maybe you can use your time constructively and get our Chess tourney going. Chase

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel