Chi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Chi
Hello fellow atheist, i am new to this forum, and this is my first post, so i appologize for any mistakes ive made on this post. Let me start this by stating that i identify as an evangelical atheist. I do not believe in anything unobservable, or incapable of demonstration.
However i also identify as a taoist (in terms of philosophy, NOT religion). As a taoist im interested in the concept of "chi", which at first contradicted parts of my atheist perception, but i now find myself unconvinced that chi is a religious concept. i would like to ask some fellow atheists to offer thoughts and/or facts on the validity (or invalidity) of chi.

If you are not aware of what chi is, here is, in my honest opinion, a completely reasonable approach to understanding and actually observing chi.
https://youtu.be/vcp6J1T60qc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kandall's post
02-02-2017, 02:23 PM
RE: Chi
Hi Chi.

Your YouTube link seems innocuous enough.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-02-2017, 02:33 PM
(02-02-2017 02:18 PM)Kandall Wrote:  Hello fellow atheist, i am new to this forum, and this is my first post, so i appologize for any mistakes ive made on this post. Let me start this by stating that i identify as an evangelical atheist. I do not believe in anything unobservable, or incapable of demonstration.
However i also identify as a taoist (in terms of philosophy, NOT religion). As a taoist im interested in the concept of "chi", which at first contradicted parts of my atheist perception, but i now find myself unconvinced that chi is a religious concept. i would like to ask some fellow atheists to offer thoughts and/or facts on the validity (or invalidity) of chi.

If you are not aware of what chi is, here is, in my honest opinion, a completely reasonable approach to understanding and actually observing chi.

Atheism is a disbelief in Gods. Chi if I am correct is this "life energy" that flows through your body. If that is the case then believing in Chi will not affect your Atheism in any way.

Whether I believe in Chi or not, straight answer is no.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
02-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Welcome!

I don't know a ton about Taoism but some of the concepts seem similar to some yogic principles, which I follow in my life. I don't follow them as a religion either, more as a life philosophy.

I didn't watch the video because I don't like to click on links on here. There is a section for you to post the actual video within the pm if you would like to.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-02-2017, 02:35 PM
The short version of my opinion is that chi is a placebo.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 7 users Like yakherder's post
02-02-2017, 03:08 PM
(02-02-2017 02:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  The short version of my opinion is that chi is a placebo.

I would agree with this. In yoga for instance, there are various chakras within the body. Some believe that putting color coded crystals on various chakra points will calm or soothe negative energies. While there is zero scientific evidence to back this up, I know people who swear by the use of crystals to absorb or kick out unwanted energies. Hence, placebo effect.

I personally don't use crystals in my practice because no scientific evidence for said use. I do focus on various chakras in my body aka various focal points in my body and use that for a meditation. And I do have a chakra bracelet, filled with various colored stones, but that's only because I like it Tongue and not because I think it actually is doing anything beyond just being a stylish piece of jewelry. While I love my yoga, I'm an evidence-based person first...and that seeps into my practice and use of yogic philosophies.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-02-2017, 03:14 PM
(02-02-2017 03:08 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 02:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  The short version of my opinion is that chi is a placebo.

I would agree with this. In yoga for instance, there are various chakras within the body. Some believe that putting color coded crystals on various chakra points will calm or soothe negative energies. While there is zero scientific evidence to back this up, I know people who swear by the use of crystals to absorb or kick out unwanted energies. Hence, placebo effect.

I personally don't use crystals in my practice because no scientific evidence for said use. I do focus on various chakras in my body aka various focal points in my body and use that for a meditation. And I do have a chakra bracelet, filled with various colored stones, but that's only because I like it Tongue and not because I think it actually is doing anything beyond just being a stylish piece of jewelry. While I love my yoga, I'm an evidence-based person first...and that seeps into my practice and use of yogic philosophies.

I watched my kung fu instructor Master Shi Xing Wei do some crazy shit. He firmly believed in qi (chi, however one wants to say it or spell it Tongue). I tend to believe the feats he could perform had more to do with training, kinetics, etc., but if believing in qi allowed him to do those things, whether it actually exists or not, who am I to tell him he's wrong? He might beat me up :/

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
02-02-2017, 03:40 PM
(02-02-2017 03:14 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 03:08 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would agree with this. In yoga for instance, there are various chakras within the body. Some believe that putting color coded crystals on various chakra points will calm or soothe negative energies. While there is zero scientific evidence to back this up, I know people who swear by the use of crystals to absorb or kick out unwanted energies. Hence, placebo effect.

I watched my kung fu instructor Master Shi Xing Wei do some crazy shit. He firmly believed in qi (chi, however one wants to say it or spell it Tongue). I tend to believe the feats he could perform had more to do with training, kinetics, etc., but if believing in qi allowed him to do those things, whether it actually exists or not, who am I to tell him he's wrong? He might beat me up :/

I feel the same way about people who use crystals, if they feel they are working for them, more power to them. I don't advocate their use for my clients and if they ask me if they should purchase them, I do tell them there isn't any scientific evidence for their use, so unless you really *want* to use them, it's kind of a waste of money. Plus, it's much better to learn to relax without an aid (i.e. crystals) because that's the point of yoga--to relax at will by your *own* doing (via breathing techniques, meditation, asana/poses) and not with the idea that it must have been the crystals.
02-02-2017, 04:10 PM
(02-02-2017 02:18 PM)Kandall Wrote:  Hello fellow atheist, i am new to this forum, and this is my first post, so i appologize for any mistakes ive made on this post. Let me start this by stating that i identify as an evangelical atheist. I do not believe in anything unobservable, or incapable of demonstration.

To the best of my understanding, chi has never been observed or demonstrated. I don't believe it but it doesn't come knocking on my door on Saturday mornings so I have no problem with its adherents.

That's skepticism rather than atheism, which is more specific.

Your YouTube video is an hour and 18 minutes long. TL;DW

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
02-02-2017, 04:11 PM
I do agree that creating balance in your life can help achieve health and wellness.