Chi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 04:11 PM
RE: Chi
There is no evidence of chi. Or chakras. My opinion is that it is mystical nonsense.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-02-2017, 04:15 PM
(02-02-2017 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no evidence of chi. Or chakras. My opinion is that it is mystical nonsense.

I don't believe there are actual chakras in the body. I do think you can use them as a focal point during meditation however.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
02-02-2017, 05:24 PM
(02-02-2017 04:10 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 02:18 PM)Kandall Wrote:  Hello fellow atheist, i am new to this forum, and this is my first post, so i appologize for any mistakes ive made on this post. Let me start this by stating that i identify as an evangelical atheist. I do not believe in anything unobservable, or incapable of demonstration.
However i also identify as a taoist (in terms of philosophy, NOT religion). As a taoist im interested in the concept of "chi", which at first contradicted parts of my atheist perception, but i now find myself unconvinced that chi is a religious concept. i would like to ask some fellow atheists to offer thoughts and/or facts on the validity (or invalidity) of chi.

If you are not aware of what chi is, here is, in my honest opinion, a completely reasonable approach to understanding and actually observing chi.
https://youtu.be/vcp6J1T60qc

To the best of my understanding, chi has never been observed or demonstrated. I don't believe it but it doesn't come knocking on my door on Saturday mornings so I have no problem with its adherents.

That's skepticism rather than atheism, which is more specific.

Your YouTube video is an hour and 18 minutes long. TL;DW

That hour and 18 minutes is a very detailed account for chi, and by far the most scientific i have come across. Im hoping other atheists out there can offer logic to that account. Any sort of confirmations or objections would be helpful so long they are factual or have some solid ground to stand on. Like i mentioned earlier, i am an evangelical atheist, i do not hold any belief in anything supernatural. But that video explicitly accounts for chi as a completely natural and observable phenomenon, not a religious OR supernatural phenomenon.
02-02-2017, 05:25 PM
(02-02-2017 05:24 PM)Kandall Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 04:10 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  To the best of my understanding, chi has never been observed or demonstrated. I don't believe it but it doesn't come knocking on my door on Saturday mornings so I have no problem with its adherents.

That's skepticism rather than atheism, which is more specific.

Your YouTube video is an hour and 18 minutes long. TL;DW

That hour and 18 minutes is a very detailed account for chi, and by far the most scientific i have come across. Im hoping other atheists out there can offer logic to that account. Any sort of confirmations or objections would be helpful so long they are factual or have some solid ground to stand on. Like i mentioned earlier, i am an evangelical atheist, i do not hold any belief in anything supernatural. But that video explicitly accounts for chi as a completely natural and observable phenomenon, not a religious OR supernatural phenomenon.

Please summarize the evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2017, 05:38 PM
(02-02-2017 05:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 05:24 PM)Kandall Wrote:  That hour and 18 minutes is a very detailed account for chi, and by far the most scientific i have come across. Im hoping other atheists out there can offer logic to that account. Any sort of confirmations or objections would be helpful so long they are factual or have some solid ground to stand on. Like i mentioned earlier, i am an evangelical atheist, i do not hold any belief in anything supernatural. But that video explicitly accounts for chi as a completely natural and observable phenomenon, not a religious OR supernatural phenomenon.

Please summarize the evidence.

It took that man, who is a prefessional psychologist that long summarize it into pellet able evidence for the average person. I am the average person in that regard. There is no possible way i can even imagine how to summarize his summarization. I apologize.

But if anyone does watch the video, i would be more than delighted to hear any objections, as i have tried to make my own arguments against it, but i just cant.
02-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Would you call this fascination with the concept of chi a "belief"? "A feeling"? "An assumption"?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
02-02-2017, 05:49 PM
(02-02-2017 05:38 PM)cactus Wrote:  Would you call this fascination with the concept of chi a "belief"? "A feeling"? "An assumption"?

Not any more than i would define evolution
02-02-2017, 05:52 PM
(02-02-2017 05:49 PM)Kandall Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 05:38 PM)cactus Wrote:  Would you call this fascination with the concept of chi a "belief"? "A feeling"? "An assumption"?

I'm sorry can you clarify this statement?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-02-2017, 05:58 PM
(02-02-2017 05:49 PM)Kandall Wrote:  

You're a fucking idiot.
There is mountains and mountains of evidence for evolution. Fucking mountains.

There is zero evidence for chi or chakras or mystical healing crystals that can cure your negative karma zones and balance the ph levels of your fucking aura.

So if by "not any more than evolution" you mean there's literal mountains of evidence to support all this mystical hippie bullshit then please provide it.
One hippie Japanese fuck a proven theory makes not.

[Image: oscar.png]
02-02-2017, 05:59 PM
(02-02-2017 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no evidence of chi. Or chakras. My opinion is that it is mystical nonsense.

As an atheist, i used to feel the same way. But i can no longer say that chi is has any mystical nonsense. It can be replicated and accounted for by the average person across all cultures and geographical boundaries