Chi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 01:16 AM
RE: Chi
G'day mate,and welcome to the forums. Smile

(02-02-2017 05:24 PM)Kandall Wrote:  [...] Like I mentioned earlier, I am an evangelical atheist, I do not hold any belief in anything supernatural. But that video explicitly accounts for chi as a completely natural and observable phenomenon, not a religious OR supernatural phenomenon.

An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too, usually through hard-line intolerance (the kind they accuse other religions of). When cornered they usually try to put down their opponent's religion and bash them for 'blind faith', not realizing that their belief that there is no god is no more or less valid or provable than the other guy's belief that there is one.

Not to be confused with normal atheists/agnostics, who for the most part just don't talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their prerogative. Evangelical atheists are particularly common on the internet, as organized religion is generally accepted as part of 'the system' of global human society, and lately it's become cool on the internet to hate 'the system'.

——urbandictionary.com

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
03-02-2017, 02:58 AM
As it turns out, Chi is nothing more than new age bullshit based around ancient bullshit. No science needed LOL.

China, Chi, and Chicanery: Examining Traditional Chinese Medicine and Chi Theory.

BTW, chi, or qi was originally the vapour arising from food, and meridians were channels or vessels. A Frenchman, Georges Soulie de Morant, was the first to use the term "meridian" and to equate qi with energy—in 1939. Auricular acupuncture was invented by a Frenchman in 1957.

The Chinese government tried to ban acupuncture several times, between 1822 and World War II, during the time of the Chinese Nationalist government. Mao Zedong revived it during his "barefoot doctor" campaign in the 1960s as a cheap way of providing care to the masses; he didn't use it himself because he didn't believe it worked.

It was Mao’s government that coined the term "traditional Chinese medicine" or TCM.

[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
03-02-2017, 06:48 AM
(02-02-2017 02:18 PM)Kandall Wrote:  As a taoist im interested in the concept of "chi", which at first contradicted parts of my atheist perception, but i now find myself unconvinced that chi is a religious concept. i would like to ask some fellow atheists to offer thoughts and/or facts on the validity (or invalidity) of chi.

Interesting video. I'm 28 minutes in but the stupid brain is currently too restless to continue... probably during lunch.

And I don't think it's on the table in terms of validity; meaning that it's a matter of individual perception. I wouldn't worry too much about what other people say, (although alternative opinions help keep one out of the rabbit hole), but if it works for you, it works. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
04-02-2017, 03:42 AM
(03-02-2017 06:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Interesting video. I'm 28 minutes in but the stupid brain is currently too restless to continue... probably during lunch. [...]

I couldn't get beyond 25 minutes. I was getting seasick watching this dickhead rocking from side to side. Must've just finished a long sea voyage? Confused

04-02-2017, 03:48 AM
(04-02-2017 03:42 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 06:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Interesting video. I'm 28 minutes in but the stupid brain is currently too restless to continue... probably during lunch. [...]

I couldn't get beyond 25 minutes. I was getting seasick watching this dickhead rocking from side to side. Must've just finished a long sea voyage? Confused

That, or meth. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-02-2017, 11:40 AM
(03-02-2017 01:16 AM)SYZ Wrote:  G'day mate,and welcome to the forums. Smile

(02-02-2017 05:24 PM)Kandall Wrote:  [...] Like I mentioned earlier, I am an evangelical atheist, I do not hold any belief in anything supernatural. But that video explicitly accounts for chi as a completely natural and observable phenomenon, not a religious OR supernatural phenomenon.

An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too, usually through hard-line intolerance (the kind they accuse other religions of). When cornered they usually try to put down their opponent's religion and bash them for 'blind faith', not realizing that their belief that there is no god is no more or less valid or provable than the other guy's belief that there is one.

Not to be confused with normal atheists/agnostics, who for the most part just don't talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their prerogative. Evangelical atheists are particularly common on the internet, as organized religion is generally accepted as part of 'the system' of global human society, and lately it's become cool on the internet to hate 'the system'.

——urbandictionary.com

And ^^this^^ is the thing that the general population sees and thinks, "Ah, that is what all atheists are like.".

I might even venture to speculate that when one self described, evangelical atheist starts evangelizing, no less than two religious extremists are created. There is very little difference in the behavior patterns of extremists - whichever side of the sky they feel a need to enlighten.

It is why religious evangelicals see even the average agnostic atheist as competition.

It contributes to the pervasive, "us against them" collective mentality of the uninformed.

In short, it does nothing to further the species' drive toward reason.

Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-02-2017, 01:13 PM
(02-02-2017 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no evidence of chi. Or chakras. My opinion is that it is mystical nonsense.

It's useful if you square it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
04-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Chi
In my religious days I did study mysticism. I also tried to defend my beliefs with science and empiricism. I even had a vision during meditation. However I've always been more of a fact person. In a weird way my mysticism is what guided me to my atheism.

I didn't watch the video because I'm.no stranger to chi/qi. To me, it's just another placebo that you can find "proof" if you want or need it. In fact my brother and I were martial artists; he attended a seminar that included chi. The instructor supposedly focused his chi and delivered a mild shock to my brother. My brother, also a skeptical atheist like me, admitted even though he felt the shock there could have been many explanations.

There are many reasons chi works. Like Jenny said, chakras are more focal points. I can focus my attention on anything for the same effect: chakra, crystal, dot drawn on my hand, a picture on the wall, or my own toe. Same effect.

The electric chi shock? Maybe static electricity. Look, my brother and I are also magicians who have learned street and closeup magic. I can make your watch stop and not touch you or your watch. I can burn a card in front of you and make it reappear in my pocket. It's not magical energy. It's knowing how people think. Difference is, you know I'm full of shit when I say magic is real.

Would any of these chi masters be willing to be studied, like measuring electrical charges, or third party temperature measuring, or so on? My experience is that they immediately go into the same mode as apologists. "You are close-minded." "You doubt me, an expert?" "Believe in magic, you muggle!"
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
04-02-2017, 01:52 PM
Acupuncture uses the chi thingy. Of course it's nonsense, of course there's no science behind it, of course it's all placebo effect. I logically know this but when I had acupuncture for allergies I felt better for a couple of months.

Doctors see the placebo effect when giving sugar pills to patients and it seems there is a chemical change in the brain. Some patients even complain of side effects from sugar pills. Even the sight of a doctor in a white lab coat has been know to produce a placebo effect on patients.

Here's part of an interesting article from Harvard Medical School on the positive uses of the placebo effect involving acupuncture on people suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

The placebo treatment was sham acupuncture, which involves the use of needles that, unbeknownst to the patient, retract into their handles instead of penetrating the skin. The placebo effect of the sham acupuncture needles was impressive: 44% of those treated with just the sham needles reported relief from their IBS problems. When sham acupuncture was combined with attentive, empathetic interaction with the acupuncturist, the placebo effect got even larger, with 62% reporting relief from their IBS woes.

Here's the full article.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-m...ct-to-work

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-02-2017, 07:17 PM
(04-02-2017 01:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no evidence of chi. Or chakras. My opinion is that it is mystical nonsense.

It's useful if you square it.

[Image: ISee01.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post