Chi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2017, 11:28 AM
RE: Chi
I agree that acupuncture is placebo, no doubt in my mind about that. But that doesnt mean chi is placebo. I appreciate that many other people are interested in this, but has anyone formed a rebuttle against the video yet? Or have an argument against any part of the video?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2017, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 01:56 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-02-2017 11:28 AM)Kandall Wrote:  I agree that acupuncture is placebo, no doubt in my mind about that.

Why do you think that? Is it because you don't think the needles penetrate deep enough to have an effect on the pathway? It seems to have a plausible mechanism of action to me. What do you think of dry needling or intramuscular stimulation where the needles penetrate much deeper?

(05-02-2017 11:28 AM)Kandall Wrote:  ... has anyone formed a rebuttle against the video yet? Or have an argument against any part of the video?

Dude, it's 80 minutes long. How many of us do you think are gonna watch it? My money's on zero.

#sigh
05-02-2017, 02:34 PM
(05-02-2017 01:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dude, it's 80 minutes long. How many of us do you think are gonna watch it? My money's on zero.
I didn't watch it.
As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as Chi.
05-02-2017, 03:02 PM
(05-02-2017 02:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 01:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dude, it's 80 minutes long. How many of us do you think are gonna watch it? My money's on zero.
I didn't watch it.
As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as Chi.

This took a lot less time to read. Like 5 minutes. "Thus, this New Age concept of the body having an "energy field" is fatally doomed. There is no such thing as an energy field; they are two unrelated concepts. ", pretty much sums it up.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-02-2017, 04:29 PM
(05-02-2017 11:28 AM)Kandall Wrote:  ...
but has anyone formed a rebuttle against the video yet? Or have an argument against any part of the video?

(05-02-2017 01:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
Dude, it's 80 minutes long. How many of us do you think are gonna watch it? My money's on zero.

Kandall,
If I were you, I'd take Girly's bet before he realises that he's misread (or forgotten that he's read) post #40.

Thumbsup

The problem or, if you prefer, the rebuttal is not with the evidence he presents regarding how the brain works ('self' and 'other' simulators; predictive bi-directional modelling using pattern recognition; inter-modal integration of our event detectors) in order to optimise both balance and agility or the synaesthesia stuff or even that an ancient culture might have stumbled upon some wisdom (regarding 'flow') of being in a state of intense concentration or anything about the naturalistic account itself.

The problem is with the clarity of (or lack of) the definition regarding Chi itself.

The other problem was that there was a blatant error:
The album by The Police is Synchronicity not Synergy.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-02-2017, 04:40 PM
(05-02-2017 04:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Kandall,
If I were you, I'd take Girly's bet before he realises that he's misread (or forgotten that he's read) post #40.

Hobo

Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9,

#sigh
05-02-2017, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 05:58 PM by Chas.)
(05-02-2017 11:28 AM)Kandall Wrote:  I agree that acupuncture is placebo, no doubt in my mind about that. But that doesnt mean chi is placebo. I appreciate that many other people are interested in this, but has anyone formed a rebuttle against the video yet? Or have an argument against any part of the video?

Nothing to rebut - there is no actual evidence presented. Drinking Beverage

And note: "John offers a theory to explain the psychological experience of Qi."

Not the existence of Qi, the psychological experience of Qi.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-02-2017, 07:04 PM
(05-02-2017 11:28 AM)Kandall Wrote:  I agree that acupuncture is placebo, no doubt in my mind about that. But that doesnt mean chi is placebo. I appreciate that many other people are interested in this, but has anyone formed a rebuttle against the video yet? Or have an argument against any part of the video?

Chi has no atoms or cells or physical form so it's woo-hoo. No scientists has ever seen a "Chi" under a microscope or measured it like they have with the elusive Higgs boson particle. Acupuncture uses Chi woo-hoo as it's main thing by the way. Like I said, acupuncture has a placebo effect on people. I know because I experience it when I've had acupuncture.

And read the link I posted in my previous post about the placebo effect.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
05-02-2017, 07:09 PM
I let my ex wife's godmother do cupping on me once. I think it sucked out my chi instead of my toxins.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
07-02-2017, 03:02 AM
(05-02-2017 11:28 AM)Kandall Wrote:  I agree that acupuncture is placebo, no doubt in my mind about that. But that doesn't mean chi is placebo. [...]

If—as we agree—acupuncture is a placebo, that is it has no clinical effectiveness, then by extension so is chi. Traditional Chinese medicine contends that the human body has natural patterns of chi that circulate in channels called "meridians". This is arrant nonsense of course, and has never been supported by any empirical evidence despite exhaustive scientific research.

Acupuncture purportedly targets specific places on those energy meridians, and (the needles) either interrupt the flow of energy, or enable it if it's blocked. This then supposedly relieves pain, increases organ function, modifies addictions, improve sleep patterns, eases anxiety and depression etc.

The entire concept is totally without even the slightest bit of viable evidence, and is based purely on spurious patient self-reporting and third-party hearsay, or even outright lies by people in the woo industries.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post