Chick Fil A Scholarship dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Chick Fil A Scholarship dilemma
I'm a 26 year old law enforcement officer who happened to work through highschool and parts of college while working at chick fil a. I achieved management positions, and eventually attained the Chick Fil A Scholarship.

Dan Cathy's recent words (in and of themselves) are relatively harmless. However, the actions of the company which have recently come to light (donations to anti gay charities, etc.), have left me with quite a moral dilemma.

I would like to no longer be listed as a Chick Fil A scholar. This would involve paying back the scholarship funds ($1000). I'm ok with this, but I am torn about this because I do not want them using the money I've returned to them to further their anti-homosexual agenda.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this?

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2012, 08:17 AM
RE: Chick Fil A Scholarship dilemma
(01-08-2012 08:12 AM)publius2k4 Wrote:  Any ideas on how to proceed with this?

Kudos for taking a stand on this. As for returning the money, it was theirs and should be returned. What they do with it is up to them, but given the amount in question compared to their wealth, I shouldn't be concerned about it being used in that way. Just imagine that $1000 going towards the cost of paper clips or printer toner.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2012, 08:18 AM
(01-08-2012 08:12 AM)publius2k4 Wrote:  I'm a 26 year old law enforcement officer who happened to work through highschool and parts of college while working at chick fil a. I achieved management positions, and eventually attained the Chick Fil A Scholarship.

Dan Cathy's recent words (in and of themselves) are relatively harmless. However, the actions of the company which have recently come to light (donations to anti gay charities, etc.), have left me with quite a moral dilemma.

I would like to no longer be listed as a Chick Fil A scholar. This would involve paying back the scholarship funds ($1000). I'm ok with this, but I am torn about this because I do not want them using the money I've returned to them to further their anti-homosexual agenda.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this?

You could always give the money to a secular group that works against Cathy' views or you could work with groups yourself ( I understand your job probably limits how public your charity work can be if it in controversial). You didn't take the money based on works against other people so I do not see this as tainted money (for lack of a better word).

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Chick-fil-a may be putting money into anti-gay organizations and as bad as that is, they are also funding your education which is producing an intelligent person who, I assume, is for equality for all people. You may want to distance yourself from being associated with Chick-fil-a and that's understandable.

When these kinds of things happen, I tend to think of it as an internal struggle about how a company wants to be perceived. The head of the company is pandering to his christian followers while others are more silently using that money to help educate people.

Take the money and take a stand. Let people know that you work at Chick-fil-a and you're using their scholarship money to fight for equality for all people.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
01-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Hey, Publius.

I'd say issue some public statement about denouncing Chick Fil A and Cathy's position and renouncing your scholarship and association with the company, concurrent with your donation of $1 000 to your local LGBT support group; like maybe a hotline to help LGBT youth in crisis.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
01-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Personally I'd do nothing but keep the money as-is--if you felt really guilty, just donate the same amount to a group of your choice. But then I view it as you're taking an anti-gay (corporate/owner belief) company's money to do what they find to be "evil", so now they're funding anti-gay things, and the opposite in a sense.
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
01-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I'd say the money is better in your hands than in theirs, so I wouldn't suggest sending it back just to get your name off the scholar list. But you could certainly go along with Ghost's idea.

Basically though, there's no reason to feel bad about having taken the money. It was used to help enlighten someone with education and now you will be more tolerant to those who are different. Maybe if enough folks like you make public statements about the company's stance on intolerance, you'll be doing a better thing than to send the money back.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Thank you for your opinions. I like the idea of making a donation to a charity in their name. The irony of the situation is that it's my education that has lead me to my current atheist, pro-choice, somewhat liberal point of views. I'm sure if Mr. Cathy knew how my education would change my viewpoint on life and the world, I may not have received that scholarship. It was one of the proudest moments of my life, and now I've got to admit that it saddens me to think that a company that claims to have so much love for the world could endorse such hate....and ignorance....

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes publius2k4's post
02-08-2012, 08:46 AM
I recommend that you donate the $1,000 to Obama's campaign in appreciation for HIS stand on gay marriage. Then send a well-written letter to the editor of your local newspaper explaining your actions.
02-08-2012, 09:06 AM
(02-08-2012 08:46 AM)suncrafter Wrote:  I recommend that you donate the $1,000 to Obama's campaign in appreciation for HIS stand on gay marriage. Then send a well-written letter to the editor of your local newspaper explaining your actions.

or let someone in the Obama camp know you want to do that and they will write the letter for you, stage manage a big event, get you on Oprah etc. etc.

Then you write your book
Then retire

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post