Chick Fil A Scholarship dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2012, 09:16 AM
RE: Chick Fil A Scholarship dilemma
(02-08-2012 09:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 08:46 AM)suncrafter Wrote:  I recommend that you donate the $1,000 to Obama's campaign in appreciation for HIS stand on gay marriage. Then send a well-written letter to the editor of your local newspaper explaining your actions.

or let someone in the Obama camp know you want to do that and they will write the letter for you, stage manage a big event, get you on Oprah etc. etc.

Then you write your book
Then retire

Lol I can't afford for that much publicity.......and wasn't Oprah cancelled?

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 11:29 AM
(01-08-2012 06:55 PM)publius2k4 Wrote:  it saddens me to think that a company that claims to have so much love for the world could endorse such hate....and ignorance....

I don't think he's coming from a place of hate or ignorance, and I find your reaction confusing. These people made no secret of the fact that they are religious believers, believing in god and bible. Their opposition to gay marriage is because the bible "tells them so." If the bible told them not to make chicken salad, they wouldn't make chicken salad. There's no more hate there than jews have for pigs. All Mr. Cathy did was state publicly what was already self-evident about his beliefs.

I don't see how you could not have understood this when you worked there. To stand up now and be righteous about it is a bit of a laugh, no?
02-08-2012, 12:41 PM
(02-08-2012 09:16 AM)publius2k4 Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 09:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  or let someone in the Obama camp know you want to do that and they will write the letter for you, stage manage a big event, get you on Oprah etc. etc.

Then you write your book
Then retire

Lol I can't afford for that much publicity.......and wasn't Oprah cancelled?

Was it? Please 'scuse my ignorance, I haven't watched tv for over 5 years. What's the current equivalent?

02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
(02-08-2012 11:29 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(01-08-2012 06:55 PM)publius2k4 Wrote:  it saddens me to think that a company that claims to have so much love for the world could endorse such hate....and ignorance....

I don't think he's coming from a place of hate or ignorance, and I find your reaction confusing. These people made no secret of the fact that they are religious believers, believing in god and bible. Their opposition to gay marriage is because the bible "tells them so." If the bible told them not to make chicken salad, they wouldn't make chicken salad. There's no more hate there than jews have for pigs. All Mr. Cathy did was state publicly what was already self-evident about his beliefs.

I don't see how you could not have understood this when you worked there. To stand up now and be righteous about it is a bit of a laugh, no?

At the time I was working there I bought into the dogma, but since I've become more educated I've left those ways behind. It's not about what they've said publicly...the company and Mr. Cathy have a right to say whatever they choose. It's the fact that they've been sponsoring many groups that many deem to be hate groups. At the time I worked there (2001-2006) I had not actually known any openly gay or lesbian people....It's just not that common here in the bible belt. Since I've learned more about the world and have actually become good friends with several openly gay people, I've taken notice to such horrible displays of discrimination against my friends and it sickens me. I don't mean to seem as if I'm jumping on the band wagon. It's just an issue that really and truly bothered me when it became a major issue with the media. Don't get me wrong...Chick-Fil-A has a lot of awesome charities that really do help people in need. I just feel that they need to re-examine their stance on this issue, and perhaps take a more compassionate, understanding, and non-judgmental position.

publius2k4

02-08-2012, 04:57 PM
(02-08-2012 12:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 09:16 AM)publius2k4 Wrote:  Lol I can't afford for that much publicity.......and wasn't Oprah cancelled?

Was it? Please 'scuse my ignorance, I haven't watched tv for over 5 years. What's the current equivalent?

I don't watch much TV either, so I'm really not sure......I think I read it somewhere

publius2k4

03-08-2012, 02:40 AM
You could give me the $1000 and I'll burn down a CFA for you.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
03-08-2012, 07:31 AM
The fact that you worked there for around 6 years and took a scholarship from them clearly illustrates what a hell hole of conservative ideology this place is.
How could you take it?Weeping
Can the world stop pissing and moaning about some asshole who doesn't like gay marriage. Sadcryface2
You got a guy who is a christian interviewed in a christian rag and he comes out against gay marriage. I'm just fucking shocked Shocking
Why does anyone give a shit what this guy thinks? The debate is over soon as the US supreme court rules same sex marriage legal.
As for your scholarship, you earned it by working there. It's your money.
..and it's not "Hate Chicken". These kinds of stupid argument do not help. You have to make logical rational arguments for promoting ideas and improvements.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
03-08-2012, 07:38 AM
(03-08-2012 02:40 AM)Science Believer Wrote:  You could give me the $1000 and I'll burn down a CFA for you.

Why don't you start burning christians (at the stake).
Are they not the root cause of the problem? ...or how about churches?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
03-08-2012, 08:02 AM
(03-08-2012 07:38 AM)Thomas Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 02:40 AM)Science Believer Wrote:  You could give me the $1000 and I'll burn down a CFA for you.

Why don't you start burning christians (at the stake).

Well, CFA is in the news, so burning one of those would get wider coverage in the media.Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
(03-08-2012 08:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 07:38 AM)Thomas Wrote:  Why don't you start burning christians (at the stake).

Well, CFA is in the news, so burning one of those would get wider coverage in the media.Yes

Did you happen to notice the reaction by the christian right "CFA Day". Corporate record sales. There are ways to get to the goal line without killing yourself doing it. Violence hurts any cause. The left now looks like the "hate group". A "non-reaction" to the CFA prez comments would have been better than what you have now.
If you're an Obama supporter you just hurt his re-election chances by reminding the religious right why they must get out and vote. Christianity under attack...
The republican strategists are doing nothing more than sitting back and watching the left shoot thenselves in the foot every week.
"If you own a business you didn't build that", wow. How stupid can you be.
Billy Clinton is laughing his ass off right now. When are the adults going to take back the democratic party? Answer: 2014.