Chick-fil-A, and "biblical marriage"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2012, 07:01 PM
RE: Chick-fil-A, and "biblical marriage"
While I think Cathy had the absolute right to say what he said, there is no denying it was a stupid issue to steer his company into and he deserves all the flack he's getting for it. Last year he was asked about his anti-gay positions and he said something like "we are not anti-anybody, we are just trying to create raving fans" or something close to that. He really, really should have stuck to that script.

I saw Mike Huckabee and several others are calling the attacks on Cathy and Chick Fil A "hate speech". That's about as pathetic as what the mayor of Boston said (although he has backed off his position on blocking them from coming to Boston, something the political hacks in Chicago refuse to do).

The best part of free speech and the First Amendment is it cuts both way. You get to say what you want, and others get to respond and call for boycotts. I have no issue with private citizens calling for boycotts of this company. No issue at all. I just object to government telling him what he can and can't say. But, in all honesty, he was better off keeping his bigoted mouth shut.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
30-07-2012, 07:22 PM
BnW - right there with you! I have no problem with Cathy saying what he said (in principle) - its absolutely his right as his right to funnel his profits in support of organizations that share his agenda.

It's my right as a consumer to not support putting my money toward his causes. I'm appalled that the mayor of Chicago is threatening to not allow expansion of the franchise in the city - that is absurd. But I've seen a ton of responses on Facebook equating criticism against Chick-fil-A is an attack on Christianity. The two are mutually exclusive in my opinion.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2012, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2012 07:56 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-07-2012 07:01 PM)BnW Wrote:  The best part of free speech and the First Amendment is it cuts both way. You get to say what you want, and others get to respond and call for boycotts. I have no issue with private citizens calling for boycotts of this company. No issue at all. I just object to government telling him what he can and can't say.

I can't argue with that. But I would point out that the Hatch Act only applies to career civil servants in the executive branch, certainly not to elected officials in the legislative branch. They are free to say and do almost anything they want when seeking reelection. ... And they do. Wink

(30-07-2012 07:01 PM)BnW Wrote:  But, in all honesty, he was better off keeping his bigoted mouth shut.

Duh. What am I thinking right now if I owned a Chick-Fil-A franchise in San Francisco?
I'm thinking Chick-Fil-Gay month in order to raise as much capital possible realizing that I'm about to be excommunicated and need to be ready for the next opportunity.

(30-07-2012 07:22 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  I'm appalled that the mayor of Chicago is threatening to not allow expansion of the franchise in the city - that is absurd.

You don't vote in Chicago. The mayor is free to represent his constituents as he sees fit. If they don't like it, they vote him out. Why should us Marylanders have any opinion at all, let alone any say in it?

Breathing - it's more art than science.
01-08-2012, 06:57 AM
From what I know about Chick Fil A, they don't franchise their restaurants. They are all corporate owned and they hire employees to manage them. My nephew worked in a Chick Fil A outside Atlanta while he was in high school. The manager was employed to run a few restaurants in the area, he had a salary, benefits, etc. He wasn't getting rich but he was making a decent living and was taken care of. But, it' s a different model than, say, McDonald's.

There may be some franchises, I'm not sure. But, I know their basic model is to own the restaurants.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TN - new twist on gay marriage Bows and Arrows 1 116 03-07-2014 04:29 PM
Last Post: earmuffs
  Ever diminishing biblical reliability - Camels in Genesis WeAreTheCosmos 7 290 12-02-2014 02:20 PM
Last Post: dustinzilbauer35
  Ban on gay marriage... Filox 13 540 07-12-2013 07:08 PM
Last Post: Buvey
  Push for gay marriage. Mr Woof 14 392 05-12-2013 07:57 AM
Last Post: earmuffs
  "Gays finally admit to seeking to destroy the sanctity of marriage" Buddy Christ 3 576 29-04-2013 04:42 PM
Last Post: Question
Rainbow New Zealand legalizes gay marriage nach_in 39 1,057 25-04-2013 08:50 PM
Last Post: nach_in
  So, I had a family member stand on a table in Chick-fil-A kingschosen 36 1,851 22-08-2012 09:36 AM
Last Post: Chas