Chicken or the Egg?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2014, 11:39 AM
RE: Chicken or the Egg?
(14-04-2014 11:37 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 11:09 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  In a meeting today at work, the CEO opened with asking which came first, the chicken or the egg. I was at the end of the table, so he asked for my response first, and I said something along the lines of "it's tough to say, since both are results of evolutions that occurred in order to assure the species' survival", to which pretty much everyone in the room (sans-CEO) laughed and one bitch even coughed out "bullshit", and then they all preceded to give their answers which were basically all CHICKEN CAME FIRST CUZ GAWD MADE IT THAT WAY.

The question itself was a segway into our CEO discussing how we can't make sales without delivering product, etc. etc., but it really pissed me off to get a response like that.

What would you guys have said? Is there a good solid response to this that can shut up the fine folk who spew out "GAWD DID IT"?

Also fuck Kansas.
Honestly, since it was a work situation, I probably would have let it go... aggravating as hell though it is! Outside work, I probably would have said something like "and which gawd was that again?" as a lead in to show them how much they base on complete assumption. Then I would have argued that they have no more reason to believe Yahweh created chickens or eggs than they do Zeus. From there, it undoubtedly would have gone on countless tangents as they would have avoided actually addressing any points and I probably would have completely wasted my time, but would hope maybe a point or two had reached somebody in the group.

It being a work situation is precisely why I didn't pursue it. I still have to work with these assholes whether I like it or not. Gotta pay dem bills.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jasozz's post
14-04-2014, 12:14 PM
(14-04-2014 11:09 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  In a meeting today at work, the CEO opened with asking which came first, the chicken or the egg. I was at the end of the table, so he asked for my response first, and I said something along the lines of "it's tough to say, since both are results of evolutions that occurred in order to assure the species' survival", to which pretty much everyone in the room (sans-CEO) laughed and one bitch even coughed out "bullshit", and then they all preceded to give their answers which were basically all CHICKEN CAME FIRST CUZ GAWD MADE IT THAT WAY.

The question itself was a segway into our CEO discussing how we can't make sales without delivering product, etc. etc., but it really pissed me off to get a response like that.

What would you guys have said? Is there a good solid response to this that can shut up the fine folk who spew out "GAWD DID IT"?

Also fuck Kansas.

In a situation like this there is a great deal of comfort in the facts. You know that you are correct and they are incorrect based on evidence. I feel comfortable being bold and even confrontational when I have that level of information on my side. Even if you are shouted down by a majority in one location, you can take even more comfort in the fact that there are millions of people just like you who know the science and would be just as annoyed.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
14-04-2014, 12:53 PM

Also fuck Kansas.

"Well, let's see. If we follow the evolutionary account, the egg predates the chicken by something on the order of a billion years. If we follow the Hindu account, the egg was the very beginning of existence, so it came first. And if we follow the Biblical account? Fowl that fly in the heavens were created on the fourth day, but chickens are pretty flightless, so they would have been made on the fifth day, meaning we would have been getting robins' eggs and whatnot a day before the chickens. So no matter how you slice it, it seems like the egg came first."

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
14-04-2014, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2014 01:29 PM by Rahn127.)
You could say simply "the domestic chicken comes from a hybrid lineage with the red jungle fowl and the grey jungle fowl counted in its descendents. Since the species of jungle fowl layed eggs then the answer is quite clear, but there are some people who believe that like the chicken, businesses were magically created out of nothing. Isnt that crazy ? Could you imagine putting someone in a position of power within this company who believed that this building and everyone who worked in it was just magically created, no engineers, no contractors, no labor involved, just poof, the building exists. Crazy huh ?"

"Show of hands. Who thinks this building was magically created ? Anyone ?"

In essence shift the topic toward something that is equally unbelievable and ask who believes it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
14-04-2014, 02:14 PM
(14-04-2014 01:24 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  You could say simply "the domestic chicken comes from a hybrid lineage with the red jungle fowl and the grey jungle fowl counted in its descendents. Since the species of jungle fowl layed eggs then the answer is quite clear, but there are some people who believe that like the chicken, businesses were magically created out of nothing. Isnt that crazy ? Could you imagine putting someone in a position of power within this company who believed that this building and everyone who worked in it was just magically created, no engineers, no contractors, no labor involved, just poof, the building exists. Crazy huh ?"

In essence shift the topic toward something that is equally unbelievable and ask who believes it.

Haha, I think I might've gotten fired if I'd used this bundle of gold. Laugh out load
14-04-2014, 02:18 PM
(14-04-2014 02:14 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 01:24 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  You could say simply "the domestic chicken comes from a hybrid lineage with the red jungle fowl and the grey jungle fowl counted in its descendents. Since the species of jungle fowl layed eggs then the answer is quite clear, but there are some people who believe that like the chicken, businesses were magically created out of nothing. Isnt that crazy ? Could you imagine putting someone in a position of power within this company who believed that this building and everyone who worked in it was just magically created, no engineers, no contractors, no labor involved, just poof, the building exists. Crazy huh ?"

Haha, I think I might've gotten fired if I'd used this bundle of gold. Laugh out load

Maybe they'd take you more seriously if you didn't wear the crocodile hat to work... Tongue

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
14-04-2014, 02:21 PM
(14-04-2014 02:18 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 02:14 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  Haha, I think I might've gotten fired if I'd used this bundle of gold. Laugh out load

Maybe they'd take you more seriously if you didn't wear the crocodile hat to work... Tongue

Laugh out load

Now why didn't I think of that...
14-04-2014, 04:12 PM
(14-04-2014 02:21 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 02:18 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Maybe they'd take you more seriously if you didn't wear the crocodile hat to work... Tongue

Laugh out load

Now why didn't I think of that...

Looks like the Crocaduck in Kirk Cameron's ridiculous photo he carries around. Smile

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
14-04-2014, 04:21 PM

Also fuck Kansas.

I reply with "Of course, your invisible sky daddy just wished for chickens to be there and they magically popped into existence. That makes WAY more sense than Evolution!"

BTW I've noticed that Christians hate it when you use the term "invisible sky daddy" because it makes the concept of some man in the sky sound so ridiculous (which, of course, it is).

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
14-04-2014, 05:07 PM

#sigh