Child-Like faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Child-Like faith
Have you heard this nonsense from a theist before?

Are they are actively encouraged to question nothing and have the faith of a child who accepts everything?

Look what child like faith did to the abducted children, or look what it did to the child who had faith he was drinking soda instead of some cleaning product in an unmarked bottle.

Surely child like faith should be discouraged at all costs?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheStraightener's post
26-04-2015, 09:48 AM
RE: Child-Like faith
(26-04-2015 09:42 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Have you heard this nonsense from a theist before?

Are they are actively encouraged to question nothing and have the faith of a child who accepts everything?

Look what child like faith did to the abducted children, or look what it did to the child who had faith he was drinking soda instead of some cleaning product in an unmarked bottle.

Surely child like faith should be discouraged at all costs?

Good points! To me it also illustrates that people even back then were questioning the validity of the claims of Jesus.

Luke 18:7 "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”

Matthew 18:3 "And said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Child like faith could be reference to faith in god benevolence, much like children belief that parents love them no matter what. If so then I think it could be encouraged - after all if people wouldn't believe in benevolent god listening to their prayers what use church would have in teaching about him?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-04-2015, 10:09 AM
(26-04-2015 09:59 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Child like faith could be reference to faith in god benevolence, much like children belief that parents love them no matter what. If so then I think it could be encouraged - after all if people wouldn't believe in benevolent god listening to their prayers what use church would have in teaching about him?

Except in Proverbs 9:10 it says: "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." That doesn't sound like a benevolent god listening to prayers or a loving parent who loves you no matter what.

If people can make you afraid of something--they can control you. That is power.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-04-2015, 10:22 AM
(26-04-2015 10:09 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 09:59 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Child like faith could be reference to faith in god benevolence, much like children belief that parents love them no matter what. If so then I think it could be encouraged - after all if people wouldn't believe in benevolent god listening to their prayers what use church would have in teaching about him?

Except in Proverbs 9:10 it says: "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." That doesn't sound like a benevolent god listening to prayers or a loving parent who loves you no matter what.

If people can make you afraid of something--they can control you. That is power.

It's not but then how many people actually read the Bible? Belief in benevolent god seems prevalent to me, even if only in my country. Also the verse abou fear could be metaphor, or rather could be being sold as such by clergy.

Moreover using fear is one thing, but it does not exclude talking about god unconditional love. You see - as long as you don't anger god there is no problem, which considering selective blindness of some believers - Levictus for example - isn't that hard.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-04-2015, 10:28 AM
(26-04-2015 10:22 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 10:09 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Except in Proverbs 9:10 it says: "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." That doesn't sound like a benevolent god listening to prayers or a loving parent who loves you no matter what.

It's not but then how many people actually read the Bible? Belief in benevolent god seems prevalent to me, even if only in my country. Also the verse abou fear could be metaphor, or rather could be being sold as such by clergy.

Moreover using fear is one thing, but it does not exclude talking about god unconditional love. You see - as long as you don't anger god there is no problem, which considering selective blindness of some believers - Levictus for example - isn't that hard.

It's not just about people reading/not reading the Bible--it's about churches and others in some position of power or trust telling others what the Bible *says* based on their own interpretations and skewing of bible passages. I agree, most christians believe in a benevolent god as it suits them and doesn't infringe on their lives--yet their very same benevolent god is not so benevolent when dealing with non-christians/same sex couples/womens' rights etc. etc. It is amazing how quick their benevolent god can turn into a complete prick when dealing with anyone who differs from the flock of christianity.

26-04-2015, 10:33 AM
All kids are different. My child has faith in the non existence of magic. Her most common response to anything religious is "that sounds like crazy talk to me"

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
26-04-2015, 10:39 AM
(26-04-2015 10:28 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 10:22 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's not but then how many people actually read the Bible? Belief in benevolent god seems prevalent to me, even if only in my country. Also the verse abou fear could be metaphor, or rather could be being sold as such by clergy.

It's not just about people reading/not reading the Bible--it's about churches and others in some position of power or trust telling others what the Bible *says* based on their own interpretations and skewing of bible passages. I agree, most christians believe in a benevolent god as it suits them and doesn't infringe on their lives--yet their very same benevolent god is not so benevolent when dealing with non-christians/same sex couples/womens' rights etc. etc. It is amazing how quick their benevolent god can turn into a complete prick when dealing with anyone who differs from the flock of christianity.

God's benevolence is quite complex thing, but I think it could be simplified in something like that - my life is good so god is benevolent, if life of others isn't good the god certainly has his reason's to punish them. Therefore god is benevolent, maybe even more so as he punish the wicked which mean that he protect the innocents.

Also god being benevolent is specific thought construct - he is not benevolent thanks to his actions, his actions are benevolent cause they are, cause such is the belief in minds of some believers. If it was about god actions then who would believe in his benevolence after reading the Bible or even newspaper.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-04-2015, 11:01 AM
(26-04-2015 10:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 10:28 AM)jennybee Wrote:  It's not just about people reading/not reading the Bible--it's about churches and others in some position of power or trust telling others what the Bible *says* based on their own interpretations and skewing of bible passages. I agree, most christians believe in a benevolent god as it suits them and doesn't infringe on their lives--yet their very same benevolent god is not so benevolent when dealing with non-christians/same sex couples/womens' rights etc. etc. It is amazing how quick their benevolent god can turn into a complete prick when dealing with anyone who differs from the flock of christianity.

God's benevolence is quite complex thing, but I think it could be simplified in something like that - my life is good so god is benevolent, if life of others isn't good the god certainly has his reason's to punish them. Therefore god is benevolent, maybe even more so as he punish the wicked which mean that he protect the innocents.

Also god being benevolent is specific thought construct - he is not benevolent thanks to his actions, his actions are benevolent cause they are, cause such is the belief in minds of some believers. If it was about god actions then who would believe in his benevolence after reading the Bible or even newspaper.

In the Book of Job--God does punish the innocent. I agree with you though-christians are spoon fed just the right passages to believe in god's benevolence. Not too mention, they are taught not to even think about questioning the almighty god.

26-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Even a child's faith only stretches so far. Santa and the Tooth Fairy, for example, are carefully calculated so kid's can't obviously see their nonexistence. If a parent said, "Just hold out your hand with the tooth in it and a little fairy will come personally take it from your hand and give you a coin" no kid would believe it because clearly it is not happening. But that's pretty much what's supposed to happen with god; "close personal relationship in which he grants your every desire".

The church is asking people be STUPIDER than toddlers.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post