Poll: Are Child Limit Laws moral, and should we use them?
Child limit laws are immoral.
Child limit laws are immoral, but need to be enforced.
Child limit laws are not immoral, and need to be enforced.
The earth is not overpopulated, continue with status quo.
[Show Results]

Child Limit Laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2012, 10:58 PM
RE: Child Limit Laws
The answer is right there in the first line of the statement. There will eventually come a time when our environment revolts and we are no longer able to sustain our current levels of population. At present we have been able to sustain ourselves artificially by changing the environment and improving our health, but there are limits even to this.
Some people have mentioned China's one child policy as a possible solution, but even this is subject to the laws of unintended consequences. It is estimated that by 2030 nearly 70 percent of the population will be over the age of 65, simply because people are living longer and having fewer children. Also at that time some 25% of males will be unable to find a partner to even have children with due to the social imbalances brought about by favoring male children over female ones, so they wont even be able to make up the numbers by dropping the policy
There is no solution to this problem that does not involve a very large degree of pain. The question is, who has to bear it?

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post
29-05-2012, 11:11 PM
There is an option missing:
* Child limit laws are not immoral (given certain circumstances and a reasonable approach to enforcement), but do not need to be enforced (because birth rates are declining already and if all goes well will peak on their own at a not completely unreasonable figure)

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
30-05-2012, 01:09 PM
(29-05-2012 10:40 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(29-05-2012 09:48 PM)Thecreativelynamed Wrote:  We, as humans, have a need to sexually reproduce. We should not be deprived of it. We should able to have all the kinky sex and babies we want without it being a particular problem with the government.
Thats a little short sighted and irresponsible don't you think?

If people breed beyond their means to unsustainable population levels it's a problem for everyone. Government is there to serve the needs of the people - society as a whole. Ensuring everyone has access to basic needs: shelter/water/food/education/etc.

Your breeding policy very outdated and not at all grounded in reality of living.

What kind of future do you want for your kids?

Sometimes less=more.... Quality over quantity.. Especially in situations like this.

Parents with less kids are able to allocate more time and resources to the kids. These kids on average have better education and a better future.
I see your point. But I think people should have a choice. If someone wants a lot of kids, then that should be up to them and only them. They would be responsible for whatever consequence should arise from their choice.
31-05-2012, 04:07 AM
(30-05-2012 01:09 PM)Thecreativelynamed Wrote:  I see your point. But I think people should have a choice. If someone wants a lot of kids, then that should be up to them and only them. They would be responsible for whatever consequence should arise from their choice.
Your responsibility only covers a small part of the problem. When you bring new humans into the world the consequences affect society and it also affects the children directly.

You don't live on an island. Your children will require resources also beyond what you control and provide yourself.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
17-09-2012, 05:52 AM
I feel there should be a limit as long as it is imposed on everyone. If some idiots who don't believe in birth control have more than the allowed amount, they should face life in prizon where the only sex they will get is gay sex that can't produce more offspring.
17-09-2012, 11:08 AM
(28-03-2012 01:29 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I say no but didn't vote because your options were limited. I wouldn't say it's a matter of morality. But no, you shouldn't be able to cap a pesons children. What are you gonna do? Sterilize women after 2 kids? Men? What if they do get pregnant? Forced abortion? Did you really think this through?

When we hit the 10 billion mark, it will be a necessity.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
17-09-2012, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2012 01:09 PM by depat.)
1. World population is growing exponentially, not declining.
2. Many natural resources are now seriously limited.
3. Limiting birth targets women=control the female, an historically ongoing project.
4. Forced sterilization of women has been practiced in the U.S. with disasterous results.
5. The United States is a Capitalist, Consumer Economy. It depends and thrives on constant growth. Who are the powers that be in this country that would encourage family limitations, certainly not those in control.
Last, sorry to cop out here but I am not wise enough to make myself a god over others. World population is a serious concern. We talked about it incessantly in the late sixties and throughout the seventies until the hippies sold out to become those eighties, capitalist YUPPIES.
17-09-2012, 04:27 PM
When did someone imply a genophage was necessary? One/two child policy. Done. If they decide to have more than one or two kids, tax them to kingdom come.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post