Children and God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Children and God
(21-05-2015 10:13 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 09:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  3. Most Christians take Jesus's statement "Better to have a rock tied to you and drown that harm a child" as a very strong statement that the worst punishment is reserved for paedophiles and abusers.

And this punishment is being relegated to other parish.

I don't understand your sentence.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2015, 10:09 AM
(21-05-2015 10:20 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 09:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. Someone (I can no longer find the reference page online) has counted over 100 verses in the Bible indicating that children, all children, go to Heaven.

2. When Jesus said, "Forbid not the little children to come to me" He was doing and saying something very unusual in His society by giving them credence and treating them like adults.

3. Most Christians take Jesus's statement "Better to have a rock tied to you and drown that harm a child" as a very strong statement that the worst punishment is reserved for paedophiles and abusers.

1. So the children end up in this heaven place, after of course being tortured, starved, beaten, raped, stoned, and violently killed by god's creation or the armies of god's instruction. Yeah - ain't that nice.

2. How you get to those conclusions from that one quote from scripture is quite the leap.

3. Again, assumptions galore on what the worst punishment deserves. But then again, all the abusers can end up in heaven with those kiddos, so good deal for them.

What a warped bastard to buy this pile of dung.

Again, many people feel that atheist brains are in the gutter if yours is a typical mindset. Thankfully it isn't. How about "miscarriages are in heaven" or "children who die painlessly, instantly in accidents"? The miscarriages alone would put billions in heaven - you are rather negative.

And I'm sorry you don't like some of the conclusions I've drawn from some verses. But it beats the Bible you're not reading or following as far as God is concerned. Jesus gets a veto vote here.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
22-05-2015, 10:10 AM
(22-05-2015 10:06 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 10:06 AM)Dusky Wrote:  Yet if they repent their sins and accept Jesus Christ, they to can go to heaven with the children they committed the crimes against.

I've never heard of any paedophile who has trusted in Christ afterward. I think that might have been what Jesus was referring to.
We have one locally. Church now defends him because he repented. Guy I knew was singing the guy's praises because he "turned his life around for the Lord."
Find all posts by this user
22-05-2015, 10:19 AM
[Image: 52958310.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-05-2015, 10:59 AM
(22-05-2015 10:07 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 10:13 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  And this punishment is being relegated to other parish.

I don't understand your sentence.

Cause my english or you refuse to acknowledge that punishment for such deed can take form of being sent to another town and another church, or rather parish?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
26-05-2015, 02:04 PM
(22-05-2015 10:59 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 10:07 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I don't understand your sentence.

Cause my english or you refuse to acknowledge that punishment for such deed can take form of being sent to another town and another church, or rather parish?

There were no parishes or churches when Jesus lived the gospels. There were synagogues, and to be excommunicated or banned from one was to be banned from all. Based on what I know of Jewish customs, Jewish familiar relations, Jewish burial, etc. it wasn't "worse than drowning" to be out of the Temple. There were prohibitions, of course, regarding visiting the Temple while ill on a temporary basis.

26-05-2015, 02:04 PM
(22-05-2015 10:10 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 10:06 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I've never heard of any paedophile who has trusted in Christ afterward. I think that might have been what Jesus was referring to.
We have one locally. Church now defends him because he repented. Guy I knew was singing the guy's praises because he "turned his life around for the Lord."

The first I've heard of such. Without being indiscreet regarding the alleged abuser, you are saying this was a person who molested young children? Even teens will have unlawful relations with other teens.

26-05-2015, 02:11 PM
(21-05-2015 09:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(19-05-2015 05:16 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  It seems to me that children in particular have been given a rough deal throughout Judaeo/Christianity.
Back in OT times thousands were killed in wars allegedly called on my old Jehovah, where they faced genocide along with their parents, granparents and all the animals.Check out (Deut 20/11-18)....'you shall annihilate them Hittite. Amorite, Annorite etc etc' . We also read of bad children to be stoned at the city gates, 3000 (including children) being slaughtered to appease Yahweh for worshiping the golden calf. (2/Chron 14) writes of a million Ethiopians being slaughtered.
Moving on to Christianity, with Hell highly in vogue, children do not get all that much mention. Adults are told to be child like in accepting God, and Jesus is claimed to have miraculously saved a few who were dying (Matt 18/2) et al, and there is some reference of his love for them, but little really specific advice per se.
In Christianity's more horrific years (and there were hundreds of those) the baptism of children was viewed with great urgency. Augustine had spoken of a Hell paved with the bones of unbaptised babies. How the rest of them endured that hellfire is another question. Even dead babies were baptised, quite often still born, by midwives. It was until the 19th century that the idea of Purgatory became an official dogma, that has now been dismissed.
At the time of the great plague perhaps close to one third in Europe perished and to add even more misery to that great suffering baptism became frantically in demand. It is really hard to imagine living in such a time.
Today still, particularly in Roman Catholic schools, religious education is part and parcel in the formation of young personalities. An old Jesuit saying goes give us a child for eight years and we have it for life.Were there paedophiles in those old Jewish Christian times? I haven't been able to find any biblical case studies, but who knows? Currently in my city there is a major inquiry over the Catholic Church and paedophile priests. One bishop allowed it to go on for eighteen years transferring the offender from parish to parish. One third of a class of boys were continually molested and many victims ended their lives with suicide.
Pity help the youngsters!

1. Someone (I can no longer find the reference page online) has counted over 100 verses in the Bible indicating that children, all children, go to Heaven.

2. When Jesus said, "Forbid not the little children to come to me" He was doing and saying something very unusual in His society by giving them credence and treating them like adults.

3. Most Christians take Jesus's statement "Better to have a rock tied to you and drown that harm a child" as a very strong statement that the worst punishment is reserved for paedophiles and abusers.

I always laugh when you quote from the bible. Like someone knew exactly what Jesus said, like someone was following him around with a papyrus and quill in hand, busily writing down every utterance. It's such fantastical silliness.

Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
26-05-2015, 06:08 PM
(26-05-2015 02:04 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 10:10 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  We have one locally. Church now defends him because he repented. Guy I knew was singing the guy's praises because he "turned his life around for the Lord."

The first I've heard of such. Without being indiscreet regarding the alleged abuser, you are saying this was a person who molested young children? Even teens will have unlawful relations with other teens.

Currently here in Melbourne there is a major inquiry relating to child abuse and cover up in the Catholic Church.
Bishops have been seen to transfer serial offenders from parish to parish for decades.
It now looks as if Cardinal Pell (currently in Rome) is to be recalled to answer some dodgy questions.
27-05-2015, 03:38 AM
(26-05-2015 02:04 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 10:59 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Cause my english or you refuse to acknowledge that punishment for such deed can take form of being sent to another town and another church, or rather parish?

There were no parishes or churches when Jesus lived the gospels. There were synagogues, and to be excommunicated or banned from one was to be banned from all. Based on what I know of Jewish customs, Jewish familiar relations, Jewish burial, etc. it wasn't "worse than drowning" to be out of the Temple. There were prohibitions, of course, regarding visiting the Temple while ill on a temporary basis.

But now there are parishes and churches so your argument is invalid.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.