Children and video games

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Children and video games
Question for all of you who have game systems and children. I have a 10 year old son who plays just about whatever he wants. Call of Duty, Halo, Minecraft, Zombies, Battlefield, etc. I don't really have a very good reason, but I won't let him play Grand Theft Auto, other than I heard somewhere that you can perform various sexual acts.
Never played myself so I don't know for sure. Other than that, everything else is fair game. Some of them are violent, yes. But in my opinion, a strong and healthy family environment with rules, boundaries and expectations more than make up for the influence violent video games might have on his ability to function in real life.

Has anyone else had any issues deciding what is or what isn't appropriate for kiddos?

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2017, 01:21 PM
RE: Children and video games
(11-08-2017 01:15 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Question for all of you who have game systems and children. I have a 10 year old son who plays just about whatever he wants. Call of Duty, Halo, Minecraft, Zombies, Battlefield, etc. I don't really have a very good reason, but I won't let him play Grand Theft Auto, other than I heard somewhere that you can perform various sexual acts.
Never played myself so I don't know for sure. Other than that, everything else is fair game. Some of them are violent, yes. But in my opinion, a strong and healthy family environment with rules, boundaries and expectations more than make up for the influence violent video games might have on his ability to function in real life.

Has anyone else had any issues deciding what is or what isn't appropriate for kiddos?

Don't you see the irony in what you just said? All of these games he already plays are ripe with graphic violence and your concern is over sexual acts? Which isn't as prominent anyway in GTA, compared to graphic violence again.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
11-08-2017, 01:27 PM
My "baby" is not closer to 40 than 30 now. I couldn't tell you who the artist was, but I do remember when she was a teenager my husband once walked into her room pulled a CD out of the player and smashed it under his heel. Without saying a word. Neither did she.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
11-08-2017, 01:27 PM
I played Halo type shooters (two players at same time cooperative play) with my daughter for years as she was growing up. I'm about to head over to the psych ward and visit her, she thinks she's Master Sergeant no just kidding she's as well-adjusted as could be, way more than me that's for sure. I would just talk to her about it, look, this is just silly make-believe, right? I never played GTA but would not have allowed it. She never showed any interest in it. I think you're on the right path.

Do you have any interest in playing two-player cooperative with him? He might think it's fun being way better than you at it.
11-08-2017, 01:30 PM
(11-08-2017 01:27 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  My "baby" is not closer to 40 than 30 now. I couldn't tell you who the artist was, but I do remember when she was a teenager my husband once walked into her room pulled a CD out of the player and smashed it under his heel. Without saying a word. Neither did she.

Probably Vanilla Ice.
11-08-2017, 01:32 PM
(11-08-2017 01:21 PM)abaris Wrote:  Don't you see the irony in what you just said? All of these games he already plays are ripe with graphic violence and your concern is over sexual acts? Which isn't as prominent anyway in GTA, compared to graphic violence again.

I do see what you're saying and I can see how you see it that way. I guess I just see a difference between the violence in those games versus what I (incorrectly) understood to be in GTA. The sexual violence is in a different ballpark to me. But regardless, point well taken. Namely my main point is that a game is make believe and as long as that distinction is made clear and conversations are had about distinguishing the two, I don't see any long term negative effects.

11-08-2017, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 01:38 PM by jerry mcmasters.)
(11-08-2017 01:21 PM)abaris Wrote:  Don't you see the irony in what you just said? All of these games he already plays are ripe with graphic violence and your concern is over sexual acts? Which isn't as prominent anyway in GTA, compared to graphic violence again.

I don't know anything about GTA but I assumed (would love to be wrong) the context of the sexual stuff is unhealthy. I assumed your character would be doing things to women rather than with them, the women also being mainly objectified as sex playthings. But I have no idea; anybody played GTA and can clarify?

"Play GTA today! Kill cops, drag race in the streets, rule the underworld, and form a mutually emotionally and sexually satisfying relationship with Karen from finance."
11-08-2017, 01:35 PM
(11-08-2017 01:27 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I played Halo type shooters (two players at same time cooperative play) with my daughter for years as she was growing up. I'm about to head over to the psych ward and visit her, she thinks she's Master Sergeant no just kidding she's as well-adjusted as could be, way more than me that's for sure. I would just talk to her about it, look, this is just silly make-believe, right? I never played GTA but would not have allowed it. She never showed any interest in it. I think you're on the right path.

Do you have any interest in playing two-player cooperative with him? He might think it's fun being way better than you at it.

He's already better than me at most of them! I have played some with him, but he usually smokes me and then laughs at me!

11-08-2017, 01:42 PM
(11-08-2017 01:35 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 01:27 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Do you have any interest in playing two-player cooperative with him? He might think it's fun being way better than you at it.

He's already better than me at most of them! I have played some with him, but he usually smokes me and then laughs at me!

Yeah same here so we would do cooperative missions...it was pretty cool having a common goal and working together. She would have so much fun shooting me in the back though I would get so pissed off.
11-08-2017, 01:43 PM
(11-08-2017 01:35 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I don't know anything about GTA but I assumed (would love to be wrong) the context of the sexual stuff is unhealthy. I assumed your character would be doing things to women rather than with them, the women also being mainly objectified as sex playthings. But I have no idea; anybody played GTA and can clarify?

The GTA series is a caricature of America. You don't rape women, if that's what you're insinuating. There are strip clubs and hookers, yes, but nothing is really graphic. For the most part it's just about gang bangers striving for a criminal empire. Same as Saints Row, which is quite a bit more over the top.

Listen to this ingame commercial, which gives you a pretty good idea of how seriously GTA V is taking itself.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]