Children and video games

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2017, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 01:57 PM by unsapien.)
RE: Children and video games
My general rule when my kids were younger was not to allow them to play games that involved kill "humans". So GTA, Call of Duty, serial killer horror type stuff like that was out.
Minecraft would be ok, I know that when your online there can be PvP killing, but I don't remember my kids being involved with that, it was mostly co-operative & creative building things, but they grew out of Minecraft a couple of years ago, so I don't know what it's like now. "Fantasy killing" like dragons, skeletons, monsters I thought was pretty much ok because it obviously unreal.

Biggest thing for me is to monitor them, last year I gave my 17 year old his own computer in his room cause I think he's old enough.

But my 12 year old still has to use the xbox & PC in the living room where I can watch him. Especially for the online chat that comes with every game these days, kids say some pretty terrible stuff to each other, and also the fact that there are adults, teenagers & all manner of people mixing in the chat with kids can be disturbing.

The few times I've had to "pull the plug" on him had to do with what was being said in the chat, or over the microphone & headset.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
11-08-2017, 01:55 PM
(11-08-2017 01:43 PM)abaris Wrote:  The GTA series is a caricature of America. You don't rape women, if that's what you're insinuating. There are strip clubs and hookers, yes, but nothing is really graphic. For the most part it's just about gang bangers striving for a criminal empire.

Ok thanks for the info. I was assuming they could never get away with rape but wondered about things bumping up against that, physical violence to women, general debasement, objectification. It seemed like the kind of game where tough guys get to slap around a woman or two. I'm glad I didn't have to make a call for allowing it or not for my kid.
11-08-2017, 01:56 PM
My son is 30. He has played video games dating back to Nintendo games such as Mario and Donkey Kong, as well as Tetris and Duck Hunt.

He went on to gaming on the computer and at times had an Xbox and a 360. He is still an avid gamer...with first person shooter games being among his favorites although he liked things like the wrestling games and Madden games where he could mod the players. There was also a SIMS period in there along the way.

Yes, he had GTA along the way...several versions, even the one that was pulled and modified before rerelease.

He isn't into drugs, not much of a drinker, works full time, owns a home, and doesn't have a criminal record. I didn't censor anything...and I would never censor on the grounds that someone said that someone said something. If I had a real concern I would find out the facts for myself.

But the decision to censor games/music/movies, etc. needs to be a parental decision that takes into consideration the personality and nature of the child, as well as age.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-08-2017, 02:02 PM
(11-08-2017 01:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My son is 30. He has played video games dating back to Nintendo games such as Mario and Donkey Kong, as well as Tetris and Duck Hunt.

That's roughly the age of my nephew, whom I introduced to video games. That being the early 90ies, there was nothing as graphic as today. We played Sim City, point and click adventures and stuff like that. I think Doom and Castle Wolfenstein were about the only shooters back then, but they stayed off limits.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
11-08-2017, 02:08 PM
(11-08-2017 02:02 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 01:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My son is 30. He has played video games dating back to Nintendo games such as Mario and Donkey Kong, as well as Tetris and Duck Hunt.

That's roughly the age of my nephew, whom I introduced to video games. That being the early 90ies, there was nothing as graphic as today. We played Sim City, point and click adventures and stuff like that. I think Doom and Castle Wolfenstein were about the only shooters back then, but they stayed off limits.

There was a progression that happened over the years...both with his age and with what was out there for play.

He and I did the MYST thing and he was into WoW for a while but it is really the FPS games that have held his attention.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-08-2017, 02:27 PM
(11-08-2017 01:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  But the decision to censor games/music/movies, etc. needs to be a parental decision that takes into consideration the personality and nature of the child, as well as age.

I think you're exactly right. If my son showed any outward aggression or any tendency toward violence, I would probably have a different opinion. But he's very empathetic, kind and doesn't show anything like that.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
11-08-2017, 02:36 PM
(11-08-2017 02:27 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  I think you're exactly right. If my son showed any outward aggression or any tendency toward violence, I would probably have a different opinion. But he's very empathetic, kind and doesn't show anything like that.

When I was his age, which was in the early 70ies, we enacted violence amongst each others. With toy pistols and costumes. Nothing has changed really, only that it now happens in front of a screen. I guess, from a social standpoint, our time has been the better one, since we interacted with fellow children, but enacted violence always was a part of childhood games.

11-08-2017, 02:56 PM
I probably fall on the conservative side with this stuff. I don't think my 9 year old has the emotional maturity to handle graphic violence, nor do I feel she really 'needs' to see it for any reason. She does play Legend of Zelda, but there is no blood, and you don't fight people. It's more cartoony. I will say that the horses being able to die bothered her, so we had to maneuver around that.

I don't even let her watch Disney or Nick because I think their kid shows are the freaking worst. Bratty ass kids and bad lessons my kid doesn't need to learn.

This is my parenting choice, but you know your children best.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
11-08-2017, 04:36 PM
(11-08-2017 01:35 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 01:21 PM)abaris Wrote:  Don't you see the irony in what you just said? All of these games he already plays are ripe with graphic violence and your concern is over sexual acts? Which isn't as prominent anyway in GTA, compared to graphic violence again.

I don't know anything about GTA but I assumed (would love to be wrong) the context of the sexual stuff is unhealthy. I assumed your character would be doing things to women rather than with them, the women also being mainly objectified as sex playthings. But I have no idea; anybody played GTA and can clarify?

"Play GTA today! Kill cops, drag race in the streets, rule the underworld, and form a mutually emotionally and sexually satisfying relationship with Karen from finance."

lel. Play Postal 2 instead.

Postal 2 has another side to it aswell. You can beat the whole game without killing a single person. I think it's called the "Jesus run".

As for GTA, my playthroughs in GTA IV and V have a no-kill rule on civillians. Rockstar did a good job at making NPC's seem real, so killing them really gives you a bad conscience. As for the Police; they're intentionally designed to shoot you on sight, even if you just tripped over their shoe (they weren't in GTA IV, but Rockstar dumbed a lot of things down in V to make space for Online). TBH, around age 16 or so I stopped playing GTA for the rampages and more to enjoy the Houser brothers stories.

My advice? Drop GTA and play Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar's sense of humor makes more sense in the lawless wild west.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
11-08-2017, 05:15 PM
(11-08-2017 04:36 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  My advice? Drop GTA and play Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar's sense of humor makes more sense in the lawless wild west.

Not everyone's on consoles.