Children and video games

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2017, 05:40 PM
RE: Children and video games
(11-08-2017 05:15 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 04:36 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  My advice? Drop GTA and play Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar's sense of humor makes more sense in the lawless wild west.

Not everyone's on consoles.

Unfortunate for them. I have the liberty of PC and console. We'll see if they port Red Dead 2 or not.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2017, 07:05 AM
(11-08-2017 01:15 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Question for all of you who have game systems and children. I have a 10 year old son who plays just about whatever he wants. Call of Duty, Halo, Minecraft, Zombies, Battlefield, etc...

In my humble opinion, no 10-year-old kid should be playing any/all of those games—or absolutely not without constant parental supervision at the very least. Ten year olds should be outside skateboarding, or playing Frisbee, or walking their dogs, riding their bikes, building billy carts, or swimming at the local pool. You know... all those healthy pass-times that we as kids did.

The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (2015) says:

Children and adolescents can become overly involved with videogames. They may have difficulty controlling the amount of time they play. They may resist their parents’ attempts to limit their time playing video games. Spending excessive time playing these games can lead to:

• Less time socializing with friends and family,
• Poor social skills,
• Time away from family time, school work, and other hobbies,
• Lower grades,
• Less reading,
• Less exercise and becoming overweight,
• Decreased sleep and poor quality sleep,
• Aggressive thoughts and behaviors.

No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
12-08-2017, 07:16 AM
We only allow her to play after certain expectations have been met (depending on season/time of year). In the summer, my rule is:

outside in nature
reading
some kind of handicraft/art/imaginative play
walk the dog w/ dad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
12-08-2017, 07:34 AM
I guess I was lucky in that I didn't have to closely monitor my son's video gaming. He was a very good student and an athlete. He seemed to be able to allot his time to different things without guidance. It was as typical for me to come home from work to find him working on his schoolwork as it was for me to find him skateboarding, shooting baskets, or playing a pickup game of football or baseball with other kids in the neighborhood...if the weather was poor and his schoolwork was done, I would find him gaming.

He stayed pretty balanced with his activities so I let him manage his own time and activities. I am sure there are kids that need more parental intervention and oversight.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-08-2017, 08:40 AM
The sex in GTA is a little irrelevant when you take into account the story/characters/gameplay all glorifies crime and violence.
Opening mission is robbing a place and shooting your way out (aka, shooting up cops). The fact that you can pick up a hooker and have sex with said hooker is rather tame compared to other shit in that game. I mean one of the characters is a redneck that sells meth and is trying to expand his meth operation. You play said character and go around killing people to achieve this.

Like, GTA is R18 for a reason.

It's also very different to games like Battlefield or Call of Duty. Battlefield and Call of Duty have a different kind of violence. Basically nothing you wouldn't see in any action film.
Halo's pretty tame because you're shooting aliens and it's sorta cartoon-like graphics and Minecraft is about as kid friendly a video game as you can get. Minecraft is probably actually beneficial, it's a very creative game.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
12-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Screen time of any sort should be limited and monitored by parents. The less screen time, the better. Keep the screen out of the child's bedroom and keep the cell/smart phone out of there, as well.

Considering how much screen time kids get in schools these days, why would any parent allow more at home on a regular basis?

Remember board games? Card games? Puzzles? Chess and Checkers?

All the top computer wizards radically limit their kids screen time. Think they know something they aren't telling the consumers?

Gawd help me for being a modern Luddite, but there is little good to come of spending formative years messing with a box that can't be made into a cardboard castle.

Old person rant over now...

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
13-08-2017, 02:07 AM
(12-08-2017 10:34 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Screen time of any sort should be limited and monitored by parents. The less screen time, the better. Keep the screen out of the child's bedroom and keep the cell/smart phone out of there, as well.

Considering how much screen time kids get in schools these days, why would any parent allow more at home on a regular basis?

All the top computer wizards radically limit their kids screen time. Think they know something they aren't telling the consumers?

Gawd help me for being a modern Luddite, but there is little good to come of spending formative years messing with a box that can't be made into a cardboard castle.

This is an extremely ignorant point of view.
I don't think you understand how things such as video games can be educational for children. More so than a game of go-fish or snakes and ladders that's for sure.

There's a valid argument to getting kids outside, running around, playing sports etc.. but to say that kids should be playing with a cup and ball instead of playing video games because you never had video games as a kid is stupid and an out-of-date point of view to have.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-08-2017, 08:08 AM
(13-08-2017 02:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 10:34 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Screen time of any sort should be limited and monitored by parents. The less screen time, the better. Keep the screen out of the child's bedroom and keep the cell/smart phone out of there, as well.

This is an extremely ignorant point of view.
I don't think you understand how things such as video games can be educational for children. More so than a game of go-fish or snakes and ladders that's for sure.

There's a valid argument to getting kids outside, running around, playing sports etc.. but to say that kids should be playing with a cup and ball instead of playing video games because you never had video games as a kid is stupid and an out-of-date point of view to have.

Agreed. There's a reason why games such as Minecraft are used in classrooms.

As time goes on we are getting more technologically advanced. I think it's important for kids to get well-versed with computers and phones.

What should be limited is TV time.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
13-08-2017, 08:29 AM
(12-08-2017 08:40 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Like, GTA is R18 for a reason.

If you make the mistake of playing it online and listen to preteens scream homophobic and racist abuse into their mics, you know that it's only a recommendation.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
13-08-2017, 07:59 PM
(13-08-2017 08:08 AM)Loom Wrote:  There's a reason why games such as Minecraft are used in classrooms.

So teachers can have some chill time.