Children cruelty and religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2012, 11:28 AM
RE: Children cruelty and religion
(09-03-2012 11:18 AM)JLMomma Wrote:  I was very much bullied by religious family and "friends" through most of my late childhood and teens.

I was raised in a Pentecostal family and when I was about 11 I started asking questions that made my family uncomfortable. At first they tried to explain things to me but their answers never satisfied me and usually brought up more questions.

Eventually my pastors and even my parents began to tell me that the reason I had so many questions was because I was sinful and that it was separating me from the glory of god and heaven.

I was always an outcast at my church which I was forced to attend a minimum of two evenings a week as well as sunday mornings. I was thought of as weird and bad by the church kids and as a bad influence by the parents because questioned so much.

oh! the devil working through questions, that's one of the finest theist's arguments, it works on many levels, very cunning Dodgy

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
09-03-2012, 01:31 PM
While I haven't been bullied for my lack of faith, I have been bullied in the past for my sexuality, by bible thumpers.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
09-03-2012, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 03:49 PM by germanyt.)
Bonjour et bonsoir Grenouille Française. Je m'appelle Tim.

Wow. I feel like it's been a hundred years since I took French.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-03-2012, 03:59 PM
(09-03-2012 03:44 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Bonjour et bonsoir Grenouille Française. Je m'appelle Tim.

Il est marié. Ignorer ses avances.

Mangez-le, Tim. Google translate simplement que vous possédiez.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
09-03-2012, 04:03 PM
(09-03-2012 03:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 03:44 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Bonjour et bonsoir Grenouille Française. Je m'appelle Tim.

Il est marié. Ignorer ses avances.

Mangez-le, Tim. Google translate simplement que vous possédiez.

I'm not sure what 2nd part is. I even went to GT to check it out and it doesn't make sense.
Eat it, Tim. Google translate simply that you have.

Precisely why GT sucks. I just had to search for how to spell frog in French.

She can be my secret online French maitresse.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Omelette du fromage ^.^

[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
09-03-2012, 08:19 PM
corrige moi si je suis mal. Mais J'entendu que la France est interdit l'afficher de les symboles religieuse. Es ce que l'intimidation a eu lieu long temps (je ne sais pas ton age) au passe ou es ce que Lorraine est un bastion de le foi Catholique. Je toujours pensais que presque toutes les concept religieuse est disparu dans le revolution. Mais je n'etudie pas le situation de France apres 1750's sauf pour regarder le nombre des corpse dans le revolution et quand ills interagir avec les canadiens dans les deux guerre modial.

In translation. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I heard that France had banned the portrayal of religious symbols. Did the bullying occur long time in the past (I don't know your age) or is Lorraine really such a stronghold of Catholicism. I always though Religion in France had died during the revolution. But I will say that I haven't studied the history of France after the 1750's except for looking at the body count during the revolution and when they interacted with Canadian troops in the two world wars.

Ladies and Gentlemen no Google translate although even after 9 years of French immersion and 4 years of core high school French after 2 years without speaking French, that was surprisingly difficult.
P.S. It really shows the state of our school system when I feel proud Knowing about Lorraine and Bavaria.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
09-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I went to a catholic school and in 3rd grade all religions were kind of the same to me. However I was baptised in an episcopal church and my school threw a fit b/c they said I was trying to pass myself off as catholic and made me go through a whole process of conversion. My classmates thought it was pretty weird and I stood out from then on. Catholic schools are a breeding ground for bullying. If you didnt pray in class even the teachers gabve you dirty looks and talked down to you and the kids pick up on that real quick.
10-03-2012, 06:36 AM
TarzanSmith > Actually, Lorraine and Alsace are different from the rest of France because at the time the law on the separation of the state and the church was established, they were german ^^ before the two world war actually. So that law was never re-established in those regions. And so, you can have religious courses at a public school. But it's not really "forced" if parents don't want their children to go, they just don't ^^.
After the revolution, even if a lot of the revolutionaries were against eclesiastical orders, religion was still kind of important. (The separation happened in 1905)

Now I think your confusing that law of separation with the one which forbid any portrayal of religious symbol in public schools. And it depends on what it is : if you want to wear a little cross as a necklace, it's okay... But if you want to wear an official hijab, it is a problem. But concerning that last one, I was in an area with a lot of descendents of Harkis so there was a strong muslim community and the young muslim ladies had different strategies to do it anyway (scarf, veil, foulard). And it just applies in public school because a lot of private schools are religious.

PS : Yeah french is really difficult. I teached it to foreigners in my french university and I realised that it is a tricky language with a lot of rules (and exceptions) and google translate is even worst in French because the english and french syntax are really different. It is great to translate basic words, not sentences ^^ but frankly you're quite good at french, it makes sense and I understood it even if it wasn't a very good french XD ! (personnally, I always say : don't panic if you're not saying a proper perfect french sentence, as long as people understand you, there is no problem)

Starcrash > Yeah I agree with you, schools should teach about every important religion without preaching of course. From my point of view, even if I'm an atheist, I recognise that religion is a big part of our history and culture. I mean, you can't study french history without hearing of the Wars of Religion... As well, several masterpieces are religious, with religious message or things like that. I think that sometimes the hate some people would feel toward one religion is mostly because they don't know or don't understand...

And thank you for the signature x) I love Victor Hugo, he is a genius !

Catey.Condon > oh sorry for you :/ happily they didn't ask us to pray anything... I would have been bad because I didn't know any prayer >< !

nach_in > Haha ! You just said "omelette from the cheese" like the cheese had prepared an omelette... You would rather say "omelette au fromage" Tongue

« Etre contesté, c’est être constaté. »
To be contested, is to be noticed
[+] 1 user Likes The French Frog's post
10-03-2012, 07:43 AM
(10-03-2012 06:36 AM)The French Frog Wrote:  nach_in > Haha ! You just said "omelette from the cheese" like the cheese had prepared an omelette... You would rather say "omelette au fromage" Tongue

I know! it's an error caused by an episode of Dexter's lab