Children's church songs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Children's church songs
What do you all think are the most insidious children's songs taught by the Theological churches? As a critical thinking skeptic, to me, no song is more detrimental to a young thinker than "Oh, Be Careful Little Ears". The worst verse is of course #6: "Oh be careful Little Mind what you think..For the Father up above is looking down in 'love', so be careful Little Mind what you think." Seriously, this type of thinking is actually looked upon as being something to cherish???

Comments? What are some other Worst of the Worst?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Arm-Chair Physicist's post
12-02-2013, 10:33 PM
RE: Children's church songs
The reasons I hate Christian children's songs are for the same reasons I hate Christianity in general, but amplified by 10. It's the same nonsense that's taught to adults - praise submission and servitude, individualism is bad, you are all sheep meant to serve the shepherd, you are born worthless and sinful, you are nothing, God is all that matters, and all that cultist rhetoric... only taught to children. Children have no sense of what is true or what to believe. They trust the things adults tell them because they don't know any better. They are vulnerable and easy to manipulate. Childhood should be spent as a sponge - soaking up all knowledge and viewpoints so that when you reach the age of thinking, you can make your own choices about which ones are valid and which ones are nonsense. It shouldn't be spent in a church, locked away from the many many beliefs of the rest of the world.

So of course I'm always a bit disturbed when I see a child singing about the "precious blood of the lamb."

Or proudly stating that he's "In the Lord's Army."

Or pledging allegiance to a King.

So I guess what most disturbs me is not any specific lyrics or songs, but just that kids who can barely speak and have yet to learn anything else about life... know every word of a song about a biblical massacre or a crucifixion. Meaning that their parents have already ruined their lives through dedicated indoctrination. The child is being trained by manipulative adults. The whole thing comes off as rather Children of the Corn to me.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
12-02-2013, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 10:50 PM by kpax.)
(12-02-2013 10:33 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  The whole thing comes off as rather Children of the Corn to me.

They don't understand what they are singing about. It's a bunch of catchy tunes that they can sing with their friends and to their parents in church. It's more innocent than what you think. And sometimes these children do grow up to decipher the meanings.

I know what you mean, though. A lot of things made me cringe singing the hymns in church even before I deconverted.

Here's another one for ya:

Deconverting Support: r/Deconverting and r/Freethinker
[+] 1 user Likes kpax's post
12-02-2013, 10:54 PM
(12-02-2013 10:42 PM)kpax Wrote:  
(12-02-2013 10:33 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  The whole thing comes off as rather Children of the Corn to me.
They don't understand what they are singing about. It's a bunch of catchy tunes that they can sing with their friends and to their parents in church. It's more innocent than what you think. And sometimes these children do grow up to decipher the meanings.

I know what you mean, though. A lot of things made me cringe singing the hymns in church even before I deconverted.

I also sang those songs without knowing their meanings and here I am, High Priest in the Atheist Army, so I know they can survive it. But that doesn't make it alright. Christians see it as harmless because to them it's reality. But I bet if they saw a children's song called "Prepare the Jihad for Allah" with smiling children dancing and enjoying the music... they would finally understand our point.

The indoctrination aspect is strong. I know this because I didn't realize how religious certain children's song that I had sang were until my 20's. He's got the whole world in his hands sure was catchy, but I didn't stop to think who "He" was. Meanwhile, I was subconsciously building a system of thought that there was a man in control of everything.

It seriously took me til adulthood to realize that "Father Abraham had many sons" was a biblical song. "I am one of them, and so are you. So let's just praise the Lord." Probably should have tipped me off to it. I don't think I knew that verse though.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
12-02-2013, 11:36 PM
(12-02-2013 09:43 AM)Arm-Chair Physicist Wrote:  What do you all think are the most insidious children's songs taught by the Theological churches? As a critical thinking skeptic, to me, no song is more detrimental to a young thinker than "Oh, Be Careful Little Ears". The worst verse is of course #6: "Oh be careful Little Mind what you think..For the Father up above is looking down in 'love', so be careful Little Mind what you think." Seriously, this type of thinking is actually looked upon as being something to cherish???

Comments? What are some other Worst of the Worst?

Strangely, even with a K-9 Lutheran Parochial School education, I've never heard that one before. Most of what I was presented was with rather benign in comparison. We sang "This Little Light of Mine." Think I remember we even sang the Sam Cooke version which is completely nonsecular. (Think we added a verse about "Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm gonna let it shine!") Don't find nothing offensive about it. ... I got no problems with the Lutherans. They did all right by me with this atheist's education. Smile

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Jesus love the little children. All the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus love the little children of the world. x2
I think this one is the worst for physically abused kids. The book I have only does the line twice, and that's it. There was some song that we had where the lyrics were about the house on the sand being smashed by God or something. I think the adults still like teaching kids that, because everyone gets amusement out of how children exaggerate the "bam" part.

~Would prefer that fewer humans type or speak down.~
~One only takes it for a while.~
18-02-2013, 04:34 PM
I don't remember many church songs from when I was really young other than Jesus Loves the Little Children.

In sixth grade our music classes consisted of learning Catholic funeral dirges. Now there's some fun stuff for your average eleven year old. It was my first year at Catholic school and I was stunned...perhaps it just blotted out the earlier songs from my memory.

The main one I remember I can't even find that version online. It was a somber, nearly monotone, chant-like thing that began with. "Come to his aid oh Saints of God (Saints of God was sung a little faster), hasten to meet him, angels of the Lord, and bring him into the bosom of Abraham...blah, blah, blah. I really don't recall the rest but I do remember the weird cadence of the song.

This kind of stuff was the stuff of the weekly music class...and it was acappella. It was pretty creepy, especially sung by a bunch of kids. It wasn't hard to do because there wasn't much in way of melody, it was nearly spoken word.

If someone made the prior wish for the children's choir to sing their funeral mass, or if their family selected it, the three or four sixth grade classes took turns walking to the church and climbing into the balcony to 'sing'. If it was hot, the incense they waved around the caskets wafted up into the balcony and we often had kids passing out.

Between this uplifting practice and the wakes we were dragged through with the open caskets and the smell of too many flowers and too much perfume we were sure taught that the Catholics sure liked to put on a good burial. It's no wonder that afterward at the funeral dinner, there was often lots of alcohol consumed. Catholics like their liquor when there's a wedding or a funeral.

I found (and still find) the whole thing creepy and barbaric.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF